Current options for wood joining at the HackFactory

Chris Gallaty

Aug 10, 2016, 3:07:00 PM8/10/16
to tcmaker
So I've decided to give building something with reclaimed wood that I have found myself in the possession of. I was curious if we had any options available at the HackFactory for joining wood (bits (or router for that matter), joiner for doing biscuits, etc) I wanted to start playing with this and need to figure out if I have to acquire some tools or what, if anything is presently available. Thoughts?

Kelly Murphy

Aug 12, 2016, 1:31:43 PM8/12/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I've done biscuit joining at the HF in the past, so I know at least we HAD the tools to do it.  You might want to walk through the shop and make sure it's still there.

On Wed, Aug 10, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Chris Gallaty <chris....@gmail.com> wrote:
So I've decided to give building something with reclaimed wood that I have found myself in the possession of. I was curious if we had any options available at the HackFactory for joining wood (bits (or router for that matter), joiner for doing biscuits, etc) I wanted to start playing with this and need to figure out if I have to acquire some tools or what, if anything is presently available. Thoughts?

Jonathan Alt

Oct 4, 2016, 12:51:38 PM10/4/16
to tcmaker
We have a mortising machine, a biscuit joiner, dovetail router bits/guides, a fussy home made Box Joint Jig, and plenty of chisels if you wanted to make joints by hand.

Mark Holden

Oct 4, 2016, 1:12:17 PM10/4/16
to tcmaker
Fairly certain that there's still pocket screw and dowel jigs floating around too.

Jonathan Alt

Oct 4, 2016, 4:30:13 PM10/4/16
to tcmaker
Darn it - I forgot that one!  :-)  We actually have a few different Pocket screw jigs of varying sizes.

We also have nails...as long as you don't mind scrounging through a rusty bucket of nails to find the right size... :-)