Suggestions for taping/gluing thin plywood?

Jeff Dege

Nov 27, 2017, 10:12:39 PM11/27/17
to tcmaker
I've decided to build a boat, using the stitch-and-glue method - cutting thin plywood panels to calculated shapes, stitching them together with copper wire, then laying fiberglass tape along the seams.

Before I do it full-scale, though, I'm going to build a 1/8th scale model, using 1/32" ply I picked up at Hub Hobby.

I've drawn out the cut sheet to scale on graph paper. I seem to remember there being a scroll saw at the Hack Factory that would be perfect for doing the rough cut.

But here's the thing. I need to cut multiple identical parts, and I thought the easiest way to do that would to use tape or glue two panels of ply together, and to do the same with the cut sheet to the top panel in the stack.

I was thinking some kind of double sided tape, but I need something that will hold without allowing the parts to shift, while I'm working, but which can be separated when I'm done without damaging the surface of the ply, or leaving any residue behind.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a glue or tape that would work for this?

metis

Nov 27, 2017, 10:34:36 PM11/27/17
to tcmaker
Permacel nitto is the tape you want. A little spendy, but by far my favorite double sided paper tape.

(or you could laser cut the prototype ply.

-metis

Jeff Dege

Nov 27, 2017, 11:50:29 PM11/27/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Sent from Samsung tablet.

Jer Davis

Nov 28, 2017, 12:48:03 AM11/28/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Possibly another option and one I use for work holding in my CNC. Apply painters tape to the inside of both surfaces were you plan to join them, then spray 3m super 77 on both and join together. The super 77 gives s great bond and the painters tape is easily removed from both work surfaces.