Outsider Looking for Laser Cutter Help

Peter VanDusartz IV

Oct 13, 2016, 10:00:54 AM10/13/16
to tcmaker
Last year I made a mask for Halloween. I glued together pieces of mat board to make the image of a goat (see Costume.jpg). The tracing and cutting process took forever. I want to do a pig mask this year but only if I can get the mat board cut via laser.

I attended the open house last night (Wed Oct. 5th) and met some very nice people who told me that a post here would be my best opportunity at getting access, and help from a trained laser cutter member. I would be happy to pay for my use of the laser cutter and for help.

I would need a member to let me in the door, help set up the cutter, and help my swap my materials as I would likely have to cut more than one 2'X3' board. I would also need a member to schedule the time slot on the Laser Cutter Calendar. I can show up ready to roll with materials, and design files. I expect the project to take less than 2 hours. Last years cut pattern is seen in costumeGoatUnfolded.jpg.

I will donate double the standard laser operating fee ($10 per hour) to tcmaker for the time I use, and give $20 to the member who helps me out (I will give more if it takes longer than 2 hours).

I would like to get this done sometime between Sun. Oct. 16th and Mon. Oct 24th.

Thanks!
Peter VanDusartz IV
costumeGoatUnfolded.jpg
Costume.jpg

David Schuett

Oct 14, 2016, 11:02:49 AM10/14/16
to tcmaker
I can give you a hand if you already have all of your files made and ready.

I'm currently available most week days and have an open schedule so let me know what time works best for you.

Peter VanDusartz IV

Oct 14, 2016, 1:43:10 PM10/14/16
to tcmaker
Hey David!

Thanks for responding!

I have not made the designs yet as I wanted to be sure I had access to the laser cutter before I became too invested. I will work on them this weekend.

Could I plan to meet you at the Hack Factory on Monday Oct. 17th sometime between 4:45pm and 8pm?

You can email me at: ImHu...@gmail.com
or call/text: 651-263-4556

Thanks!

Paul Weig

Oct 14, 2016, 4:21:35 PM10/14/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
St Paul's George Latimer Library has a laser that is available for public use, and some help, you have to go to an Orientation session, which I believe is on Monday evenings.  A couple other Ramsey and Washington county libraries have maker spaces with lasers. But I only;y have experience with St Paul.  I made some nice living hinge lampshades - Plywood kerf-cut to bend into a cylinder.

Peter VanDusartz IV

Oct 14, 2016, 5:03:32 PM10/14/16
to tcmaker
Hey Harvey,

Thanks for the info. I heard that the cutting area of the laser in the St. Paul Library is like 10"x15". While it would be possible to complete this project on a laser like that it would take a lot of extra work that I am not really interested in doing.

Do you know the actual dimensions?

Thanks!

David Schuett

Oct 16, 2016, 11:26:55 PM10/16/16
to tcmaker
Hey Peter,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Did you get the design done?

I will be at the hack factory tomorrow afternoon around 3:30 and should be around for awhile so if you're ready to go, I can meet you then.

Otherwise I will be there Wednesday afternoon/evening.

You can reach me at david....@gmail.com if you need to.

Paul Weig

Oct 17, 2016, 9:35:13 AM10/17/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
 12 x 24 inches is the area of the laser at the library.

Peter VanDusartz IV

Oct 17, 2016, 9:40:43 AM10/17/16
to tcmaker
Hey David,

I got the designs done and the materials collected. I'll come by a little after 3:30.

Would you mind texting me so that I can call you when I show up? 651-263-4556

Thanks again!
Peter V

Peter VanDusartz IV

Oct 17, 2016, 9:43:10 AM10/17/16
to tcmaker
Thanks for the info Harvey! I will probably check out the library for future projects!