Anyone have a geiger counter?

--Martin--

Mar 27, 2018, 6:49:08 PM3/27/18
to tcmaker
So, I bought ~200lbs of thick lead plates off a scrapper guy on craigslist. The plates came from an x-ray machine he tore apart at a medical school. I would like to verify they are not "hot" before I do anything with them. Does anyone have a geiger counter, and would like to swing by to check em out? I'll buy ya a pint... :)

Michael M Butler

Mar 27, 2018, 10:16:02 PM3/27/18
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Mine are all 600+ miles away, but I know a guy. I'll check in with him. Bear in mind that a really good contamination check usually includes going over the item with a mica window "pancake" probe. Let's see what I can rustle up.

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018, 17:49 --Martin-- <mar...@bikiniduck.com> wrote:
So, I bought ~200lbs of thick lead plates off a scrapper guy on craigslist. The plates came from an x-ray machine he tore apart at a medical school. I would like to verify they are not "hot" before I do anything with them. Does anyone have a geiger counter, and would like to swing by to check em out? I'll buy ya a pint... :)

Michael M Butler

Mar 27, 2018, 10:18:15 PM3/27/18
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
PS: If it was just from an x-ray machine and they never worked with radioisotopes, it's unlikely to have gotten "hot". But no problem playing it safe(r).

michael...@tcmaker.org

Sep 21, 2018, 3:10:21 PM9/21/18
to tcmaker
I know it was back in March, but if you still want a "sanity check" I've got a small handheld unit now. I've got the parts for a "pancake" unit that would be more suited to detecting low levels but I haven't built them up yet.

--Martin--

Sep 22, 2018, 2:11:12 PM9/22/18
to tcmaker
I ended up getting a real good deal on a handheld one on ebay. Thanks for the offer though :)