Insulating Garage Doors

Chris Gallaty

Jan 3, 2018, 2:49:11 PM1/3/18
to tcmaker
(Let's try this again) So the new garage is somewhat less than warm (like things froze in the fridge in the garage) The plan is to turn it into a shop and I would like to use it year round. My question is, has anyone here played with the brush seal weather stripping out there for garage doors. I'm presently looking at this site (https://www.brushweatherseal.com/shop/residential-garage-door-seal-kit) but it's just trim, though I have not seen cheaper. I know that Lowes has some PVC crap, but at -10F I'm guessing that is not as useful. The garage door itself is already insulated in the panels and there is gas running to the garage, so if I can get it somewhat air tight, I can heat it. As is, in the morning the light from the cracks in the door are enough to see by. Anything anyone else has had success with or a better/cheaper source for the brush?

Steve Peterson

Jan 3, 2018, 3:20:26 PM1/3/18
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
FWIW - I have the PVC on the sides and top of my door.  It's 20 years old and still seems to close the gap.

On Wed, Jan 3, 2018, at 1:49 PM, Chris Gallaty wrote:
(Let's try this again) So the new garage is somewhat less than warm (like things froze in the fridge in the garage) The plan is to turn it into a shop and I would like to use it year round. My question is, has anyone here played with the brush seal weather stripping out there for garage doors. I'm presently looking at this site (https://www.brushweatherseal.com/shop/residential-garage-door-seal-kit) but it's just trim, though I have not seen cheaper. I know that Lowes has some PVC crap, but at -10F I'm guessing that is not as useful. The garage door itself is already insulated in the panels and there is gas running to the garage, so if I can get it somewhat air tight, I can heat it. As is, in the morning the light from the cracks in the door are enough to see by. Anything anyone else has had success with or a better/cheaper source for the brush?

Chris Gallaty

Jan 3, 2018, 3:25:55 PM1/3/18
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Lowes sells it for like a $1 a foot. I just wonder if it in this cold it would stiffen up and lose its seal. I've seen some folks that complain about the 'look' of brush have done both (maybe overkill) for the $30 or so it would cost (and losing a finger or two installing it in this weather) I should likely give it a shot, but I want something that is going to last a while (that and they don't make things like they did 20 years ago either)

Chris Gallaty
EveryB1T, Inc.
612.867.5572

Steve Peterson

Jan 3, 2018, 3:51:37 PM1/3/18
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I'd try this https://www.mcmaster.com/#door-gaskets/=1ayxrg1 for same price as Lowes.

Steve Peterson

Jan 3, 2018, 4:05:31 PM1/3/18
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the spam.  On my door they cut a slot in the wood trim and used just the raw gasket:  https://www.mcmaster.com/#8410a19/=1ayxrus

Eric Osterberg

Jan 3, 2018, 4:36:29 PM1/3/18
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
My garage doors are sealed with https://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-7-16-in-x-2-in-x-108-in-Vinyl-Garage-Door-Stop-Moulding-RY320-ZM108CRY/207001396 as trim. It's seal edge is flexible enough in this temp, but installing it might be a bit too difficult. I can see it cracking when struck with a hammer for installation. It's very air tight as I have no trouble heating my home garage using this. No light comes through as there's no gaps.