My Board Meeting update.

Jude

Mar 19, 2015, 10:33:59 PM3/19/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I have been greatly remiss in keeping up this continuing series.

Basically its boiled down to the fact that not a tremendous a lot new has happened. My main thrust in the meetings is to attempt to keep Shop management, Officer, and Board responsibilities separate. This is incredibly hard because we have so much overlap between the functions.

Which is really what we spend most of our time on. Getting members more involved.
We absolutely rely of the membership to keep us functioning. From taking out the garbage to writing the code for the door controller so we can add keys. Unfortunately we are relying on a relatively small pool of members to keep it running. This is really nobodies fault it just occurred. First because we are really past the point where individual members can just do things without taking into account other things that need doing and how all that meshes together. Also certain members not excluding me have very strong Ideas about what should be done and in some cases just how it needs to be done. Fighting that leaves an emotional toll that leads to avoidance of the entire issue. Communication is also sadly lacking Top down and Bottom up. A lot of that has to do with the sheer time shift involved in being open 24/7, but it also has to do with not having a clear way of disseminating information. We have way to many communications options.

So the survey is out to help with that. (I actually think we will get a bit of value from it).
But we are doing some other things.

First no major infrastructure upgrades will be undertaken unit there is a clear plan, all materials are available and enough human capital is in place to accomlish it in a reasonable time. It cannot be Jude or Steve is working on it. Metalshop Love Day was a pretty good start although some of the materials allocated for it seemed to have disappeared. (My bad as I didn't clearly label them).

Standardization: We have decided of some broad standardization themes. For example Dewalt 20v will be the standard cordless power tool. This will allow a common upgrade and limit the need for multiple battery types. We have also decided we need more flat working surfaces for projects. We have standardized a design and limited number of heights. Basically all tables will be based on a 24" square, Work tables will be 36" high with almost all of them will be on casters and be 24" x 48" and designed so they can be bolted together to form larger surfaces as needed. Desks will be 30" and there will be some 42" bar height mainly for cut tables. The Idea here is for glue ups and other short term project uses the table is the parking permit. We intend to have enough material here with the jigs and plans to allow even the welding class to construct one. So slowly you will see some of the ad hoc table surfaces exchanged for the standard.

PM. Preventative maintenance. There are many things that anyone can do to keep our tools up and running. So over time you should start seeing little check lists by or on the tools or maybe a pointer to an area in on the web. (I favour check-lists). For example now that we have run shop air to most areas the Pickle (big air compressor) will have more demand. To keep it in good shape Once a week the tank should be drained and the oil checked, once a quarter the air filter and oil should probably be changed. Anyone can drain the tank and check the oil, and it is easy to show a lot of people on cleanup day how to change the oil and filter.
Most tools have this easy and a bit more training. As long as we keep adding to the PM lists the work load can be spread out and no one person is burdened.
This idea most likely will extend to consumable inventory check lists.

Facilitate member success: A clean shop stays cleaner and is easier to work in. We have standardized the Shop-Vacs and purchased two more big ones and a little one. As any of the others die they will be replaced by the new standard. We are also looking at getting a bit more air filtration happening. That is only a start and we are looking for ideas to expand on that.

One of which is
Design challenge: With spring we need some outdoor tables and chairs. At the same time the front yard is a major advertising point and that furniture could be a major draw. So we have a picnic table design challenge going. Come up with a cool design and we will get the members to vote on them and pick one or more. WE will buy the material you need and some of us will probably even help you build it. Outstanding designs may be offered to the park board as a donation. I expect that several of these will come up. Things that would be nice but not critical. Also as standardization progresses there will be opportunities for members who want to do something but don't have a project at the moment to come in and build something the group needs.

All of that is well and good and I'm sure that the membership will come up with some others. However that is not enough. We desperately need more people involved in the nitity gritty of the operations. Both to support the social aspects and the functional aspects of the community. Web content, Membership database entry, Wednesday tours, grilling, classes a whole host of things that if we had more people working on them we wouldn't be in such a bind when life happens to any one key member. Really there shouldn't be any key members at all.

There looks like a Make branded Mini Maker Fair will be happening at the State Fairgrounds the week after our Minne-Faire. This could be a great opportunity if we had a bunch of people willing to volunteer for to help with ours. From upgrading the vacuum system in the woodshop to helping design our convention presence we need help. (and always will)

Thanks
Jude

Jeff Severns Guntzel

Mar 20, 2015, 10:45:27 AM3/20/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for this update, Jude!

I'd like to volunteer to help with the checklists for the tools? I would love to take that on. I would just need to spend a little time with the people who know the tools best, taking notes on the various tools and machines. I would love this opportunity to get to know the various shops better.

I would also like to volunteer to come by once a week to walk through and take out the garbage. Would this be helpful? It is possible I could do it twice a week. It would likely be early morning.

I could get started on both of these things next week after I return from a trip (I return on Wednesday, and could maybe even be back in time to make it there Wednesday night).

All the best,

Jeff

---

Jeff Severns Guntzel
Evaluator, TerraLuna Collaborative
Mobile: 612-978-3325

About the MHC/OPS Evaluation Team

Jude Dornisch

Mar 20, 2015, 4:32:49 PM3/20/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Something about gift horse and teeth comes to mind.
This sound wonderful.

SL Solarz

Mar 21, 2015, 2:37:40 AM3/21/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for writing these Jude.
Susan

SL Solarz

Mar 22, 2015, 8:59:24 AM3/22/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com, bo...@tcmaker.org
Jude,
I write to volunteer for 2 things:
1.  My offer to reupholster lounge furniture stands.  My only holdup is the decision on material.  If I recall correctly, Becca wants vinyl, you want 3M-treated canvas and others probably have opinions too.  Once y'all decide on fabric type and color (if there is a color preference) please let me know and I will start.  Please let me know if you want me to include the long bench in the front room.

2.  I'd also like to volunteer to help finish up the front area.  We're so close and yet, right now, the conference room looks worse than ever.  If a purpose has been chosen for it and the other small room I'd like to volunteer to finish them.  I can recruit help as I need it and if either of them are fully or partially an office for whomever (Brandon?) then I will work with him/her too.

3.  My commitment to empty a garbage or recycling bin or to take on another cleaning project every time I go to the workshop has been lax lately.  I recommit to my commitment!

Looking forward to these projects!
Thanks,
Susan

Jeff Severns Guntzel

Mar 31, 2015, 12:53:36 PM3/31/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jude,

I talked briefly with a couple of people during cleanup on Saturday and it sounds like it would be most helpful for me to come by on Wednesdays to take trash out, so there aren't heaping trash piles at the open house. That works for me. Does it make sense to you?

I'm planning on coming by to do it tomorrow before I leave town at 3pm (going to visit maker spaces in Louisville and Indianapolis!).

Any chance you'd be around tomorrow around 2pm to chat about preventative maintenance checklists and maybe even to show my the air compressor so I could get started on a prototype checklist for that?

Otherwise I will be back next Monday and we could do it next week. Looking forward to it!

Jeff