Local sources for things like bearings and other specialty hardware?

Jeremiah Davis

May 13, 2015, 1:01:26 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I want to pick up some 1/2" ID x 1 1/8" OD radial bearings for a project. I'd like to source them local so I can finish tonight, and I'm having a hard time finding anything reasonable. So far my best option seems to be Grainger in Plymouth. Are there other stores people go to for this kind of stuff and other hardware you can't just find at Ace or Menards?

Pete McKenna

May 13, 2015, 2:07:24 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Axeman if they happen to have your size, otherwise nextday automation ( very apropos name in your case ) Give them a call, they are great to deal with and will hunt around for you (usually) and tell you if it's worth the drive, they are in Maple Grove tremendously nice folks, and always been very fair with me.

Otherwise you could maker up some bushings for the bearings you can find, I assume the other diameters are not able to be changed? I have some bronze bearing core, I'll check but I think the ID is 3/4" the OD is 1 1/2" if I remember right, but it is meant to be turned to size ( if it is a lower rpm application, bronze bearings would likely work just fine ) Give a shout if you have questions or need help, I plan to come in tonight, and am playing in my shop with my lathe this afternoon, so I might be able to help you out.

Pete

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 12:01 PM, Jeremiah Davis <jerda...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to pick up some 1/2" ID x 1 1/8" OD radial bearings for a project. I'd like to source them local so I can finish tonight, and I'm having a hard time finding anything reasonable. So far my best option seems to be Grainger in Plymouth. Are there other stores people go to for this kind of stuff and other hardware you can't just find at Ace or Menards?

Pete McKenna

May 13, 2015, 2:09:35 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Oh there is also Gopher bearing just off 94 and 280, you can give them a call too.

Pete

Jer Davis

May 13, 2015, 2:18:36 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Pete, I'll check them out. I'm looking for a low friction bearing to build a drag knife for the Shapeoko. This is what the guy who's plans I'm using recommends http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/1-2inch/Kit7527

Pete McKenna

May 13, 2015, 2:51:28 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Cool,

You'll want real bearings for that, I don't think the size of them would matter as long as you keep the center in alignment. Are the parts done, if you cut them on the Shapeoko you may want to bore the pockets for the bearing ODs to fit, as I suspect they won't be perfect. I'll be interested to see the tool stem, and it looks like it was flat cut too, interesting way to do it.

Are you planning to be at the HF tonight?

Pete

Jer Davis

May 13, 2015, 3:04:52 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I haven't cut the parts yet, planning to try it on the shapeoko tonight. Judging from the Next Day Automation ebay store it looks like they should have something, so I'll probably head over there before rush hour makes it a PITA.

Do you think I should make sure the bearing pockets are undersized a bit when machining the parts tonight? I'm not checked out on the Bridgeport or lathe yet, so I'd probably need a hand from someone to bore them out. What would you recommend?  The stem that goes into the bearings he just left square. It's 1/2" wide by 3/8" thick. He suggests optionally filling the remaining space with epoxy, but didn't need to for his tests. He used a piece of 1/2" aluminum tube for the shank. I'll need to tweak that down to 1/4" to fit the Shapeoko's spindle. I was going to pick up some 1/4" rod of some type for that.

He sent various formats of the project, I imported the STEP file into Fusion yesterday and can tweak whatever I need to if I find different sized bearings or what not.

Jer Davis

May 13, 2015, 3:05:38 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Yes, I'll be around tonight. I have a meeting from 4pm to 6pm but will be around sometime after that.

Pete McKenna

May 13, 2015, 6:35:24 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Yes,

I'd leave the bearing pockets undersized by .030" or so. We can bore them out on the Bridgeport I can help you out. I've CNCed lots of pockets on my router, but not usually in AL. as the chatter etc makes them a bit rough and at times oblongular. I'll probably not be in untill 7 or 7:30, but I imagine the parts will take a bit of time to cut. I'll bring some boring stuff in case things are missing at the HF.

Pete