tcmaker youtube channel & video production (outreach & fundraising)

Sebastian Wiers

Jun 8, 2016, 11:27:54 AM6/8/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
He all -

I just did some quick searching, and it looks like TCMaker did not
have a youtube channel? I'm trying to figure out how to create one
that is not tied to a personal google account that could be shared
(IE, multiple members could upload) with minimal risk of vandalism
(IE, at least ensure nothing can be permanently destroyed, so an admin
can reverse anything). I think maybe the simplest route would be to
have very limited account access, as we'd need an admin anyhow, and
then put admin contact info on the wiki. This probably falls under a
larger "social media" umbrella, at least in terms of wiki info.

Why was I hoping TCMaker could have an account? Because I really
think we should be making videos. I watch a fair number of videos
from folks like Diresta, Oxtools, Tested, and so forth, and think
"hell, I've seen better work and learned more at TCMaker". Something
as simple as taping a class (and then editing) could produce very
watchable content. It seems reasonable to think we could have a
regular group meetup to make / edit such videos, just like we have
meet ups for CNC and so on.

And if the content is good, a TCMaker owned channel would produce and
income stream for TCMaker...

I think its pretty obvious where I'm going with this, and I should
probably try to set up a kick off meeting...

-Seb

Jonathan Alt

Jun 9, 2016, 8:35:16 AM6/9/16
to tcmaker
I like the idea - and think you're on the correct path with a kick off meeting...

What would really be helpful is a tour guide video of the shop as well to place on the home page.

Sebastian Wiers

Jun 9, 2016, 12:17:06 PM6/9/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I've been complaining about the lack of one for a while. Well,
I've got got a couple sound & video capable devices, and MS MovieMaker
on my PC. I thinking I could even bang out a simple steadycam rig.

Guess I should make one.... anybody want to help / be involved? Maybe
the simplest route would just be to film one of our Wednesday open
house tours?

-Seb

Kelly Murphy

Jun 9, 2016, 3:17:47 PM6/9/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I have an HD camcorder, and was working on a 3 axis steady cam gimble for my DSLR, had to pack both up when I moved and then forgot I was working on them until this thread.
There have been some done in the past, but just tours of the shop, no project videos or How to type of videos. I think it would be great to to tool training videos for many of the shop tools. I could see things like:
  • TC Makers how to use series presents:
    • "Being Excelent to each other" means "Don't be a dick"
    • The Wood Shop
      • The StopSaw
      • The Bandsaw
      • The Lathe
      • The Drillpress
      • The Plainer
      • The Joiner
    • The Metal Shop
      • Plasma Cutting
      • Metal Bandsaws
      • Other ways to seperate metal.
      • Wirefeed Welding
      • TIG Welding
    • Laser Cutting

    • Project Storage do's and don't
    • ETC..
What do you guy's think

-Kelly

Sebastian Wiers

Jun 9, 2016, 4:06:27 PM6/9/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
How-to-use shop instructionals would be good, for sure. Some of those
(such as laser cutter) would be easy to get by taping one of our
normally offered classes (assuming instructor agrees).

I was aiming more at encouraging members to document the why's and
how's of things they made. I often find that more educational than a
documentation of how to use a tool, because it shows when and why to
use the tool, and often shows ways of using it I might not have
considered / known about. Plus I know I'm always curious to see what
other members are making!

Its not as fancy as your HD camera, but I picked up a GoPro knock off
clone. Even with the 32gig sim card, it would cost less than $80 to
replace. I was thinking of making this available as a "shop tool" for
such projects, maybe stored in the front computer room? The thought
was people could dump raw videos on disk, they or others could edit
them some, then some body / group could get them up online.

Would be good to have some other simple things too, like a basic
tripod (I have one I pulled from the free shelf, has some odd thread
in the platform and needs adapting to hold normal cameras) and maybe a
light. Setting up one of the computers with the ability to connect to
cameras / read cards and edit videos would also be good. All seem the
sort of thing easier to hash out at a meeting / open house night
though.

- Seb

Scott Hill

Jun 9, 2016, 4:15:20 PM6/9/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I know we have lights downstairs -- they're in the third room, in a big black transport case. They're good quality Lowell video lights with stands.

If I do some digging I might be able to find my wireless lapel mic. It's a Shure microphone; the receiver's got a standard 1/8" output plug so it should connect to a camera with a mic input.

Sent from my iPhone

orion

Jun 10, 2016, 8:14:32 AM6/10/16
to tcmaker
There is a group channel there is just nothing on it yet.

Patrick Raines

Jun 10, 2016, 12:00:56 PM6/10/16
to tcmaker
I'd be happy to help generate content. www.TomorrowsEinsteins.com

Sebastian Wiers

Jun 10, 2016, 2:36:50 PM6/10/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 7:14 AM, orion <bpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There is a group channel there is just nothing on it yet.

If content were available, how would the group go about getting it
into the group channel?

-Seb

Jeff

Jun 10, 2016, 6:43:03 PM6/10/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I don't see a channel on YouTube when I search for tcmaker or twin
cities maker or hack factory. Or did I just miss it?

I do find random videos that individuals have posted.

How would I find the TCMaker channel?

- Jeff

orion

Jun 10, 2016, 9:49:20 PM6/10/16
to tcmaker
www.youtube.com/twincitiesmaker

need channel art that is 2650x1440

--Martin--

Jun 15, 2016, 10:35:11 PM6/15/16
to tcmaker
If anyone wants to film, I'll give a tour on camera.
I made a pictorial one a while back.

Scott Hill

Jun 17, 2016, 9:44:48 PM6/17/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

orion

Jun 19, 2016, 4:01:33 AM6/19/16
to tcmaker, danbac...@outlook.com
Who wants to lead this project? I can assist on uploads and provide gear.

Patrick Raines

Jun 20, 2016, 1:14:28 AM6/20/16
to tcmaker, danbac...@outlook.com
Sounds to me like Sebastian Weirs wants to be the lead!

I have a youTube channel! if no one else is the lead I can lead. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEq_FYmwei4h-NA1XfUDezA

the way that we get events posted to eventbrite is that we just email eve...@TCmaker.org until we get a response (I'm still trying to get my laser cutting and inkscape on the events calendar for the makeathon)

I imagine there could be a Cha...@TCmaker.org or a You...@TCmaker.org