Care About Wood Shop Updates - Subscribe to This Email List....

Jonathan Alt

Jul 12, 2017, 1:54:59 PM7/12/17
to tcmaker

In an effort to make sure everyone gets wood shop announcements -

We now have a Wood Shop Specific Email Subscription List.

You can Sign up by Visiting http://eepurl.com/cVTJvf

Going Forward this email list will be use to communicate all Wood Shop Specific Events/Tool Status Updates (repairs/maintenance)/Shop Closures/and General Wood Shop Updates.

This being said - I will no longer be posting as many, or any, announcements on Google Groups (this is to save me the time of having to post to multiple locations). Thanks for understanding!

Message has been deleted

Peter Gamache

Jul 14, 2017, 11:25:54 AM7/14/17
to tcmaker
You know you can send email to a Google Group, right?

Things we lose with MailChimp:
* Archive - The searchable archive that provides clues for old and new members alike.
* Control - The ability to control how you want to receive messages: Instant email, digests, or web-only.
* Privacy - MC is tied to several tracking mechanisms. At least with Google, there's only ONE company tracking me.
* Community - MC is a one-way channel, suitable for email blasts from a company to its customers.

I know I'm vary rarely in the shop, but I'm still a paying member and have been for many years.  I'm having a hard time seeing the upside for the TCM community in this decision.

-PG

Scott Hill

Jul 14, 2017, 1:51:32 PM7/14/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
This list is intended to be a one-way, announce-only channel. The big disadvantage to google groups is that you must have a google account to even sign up.

IIRC there is an archive available. I'll check up on it when I'm back to a full computer.

--
Vice President, Twin Cities Maker

Steve Peterson

Jul 14, 2017, 5:56:43 PM7/14/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I just joined a google group using email, with no google signing required, so I don't think that's true.

To do so, send an email to groupname...@googlegroups.com to initiate the signup flow.

Jonathan Alt

Jul 16, 2017, 6:24:04 PM7/16/17
to tcmaker

Peter,

Your point is a valid one - and I understand your concerns.  I can definitely add this group as an email address in the subscription list.

The work involved in posting to multiple locations is getting a bit too much for me  We have google groups/facebook/whiteboard/events calendar/TC Main page...

As you know, there is a large group of people that refuse to use facebook, and another large group that refuse to get a google account.  I have yet to run into any active members that do not have an email address. :-)

Therefore email list is the most efficient way for me to let people know of events/classes/tool broken status.

Feel free to email me at Wood...@TCMaker.org if you have any other concerns on this issue or any other.

Thanks

~Jon

Jonathan Alt

Jul 17, 2017, 8:53:00 AM7/17/17
to tcmaker
Edit:  I am unable to add tcm...@googlegroups.com to the subscription list (email address is being blocked)

Pete McKenna

Jul 17, 2017, 10:33:10 AM7/17/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Lists subscribed to lists could lead to bad loops, so it is likely prohibited.

Pete