CNC meetup - training restart

Pete McKenna

Jan 31, 2017, 4:27:05 PM1/31/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
All,

I'd like to gauge interest in 2 distinct areas of CNC need.

1) Members who are interested in getting checked out on one or more CNCs to use them for their projects.

2) Members who are interested in using a CNC as a tool to produce a project. ( I.e. not interested in learning how the whole thing works, just want to make parts )

My request is that everyone who responds have real tangible item(s) that they want to create

Based on response my thoughts are having classes on
  • CNC Checkout on the 2x2 and / or 4x4 CNC
  • CAM training on how to get a design turned into cutable Gcode.
  • 2 CAD / CAM design ( this would be based on the Vectric Cut 2D and Cut 3D software TC Makers owns )
  • CNC as a tool to produce ( this would be a series I think, topics could include, )
    • molds or bucks for casting or vacuum forming
    • PC Boards
    • Wood inlays
    • Kitchen accessories
If you have projects you are wanting to start, let me know which of these categories your project fits into, and what you have so far. ( idea in my head, file of type, gcode thats ready to go ) etc.

Pete

Eric Osterberg

Jan 31, 2017, 5:50:41 PM1/31/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Interested. I may rejoin to participate.
Wanting to build a pick and place machine.

David Schuett

Jan 31, 2017, 7:44:57 PM1/31/17
to tcmaker
I'm interested in learning the basics to produce parts.

Something akin to the laser basic class, teach me how to not break the machine and let me screw up a few pieces learning.

I wouldn't be opposed to something more in-depth if that is your preferred method though.

Mark Holden

Jan 31, 2017, 11:18:29 PM1/31/17
to tcmaker
My interest is primarily to be able to use the CNC as another tool in creating stuff, not to make an entire CNC project, per se.  I'd like to be able to use it to make bulk, repetitious stuff or things that are just a pain to make by hand.

A few examples:

I'd like to make a vacuum sanding table.  Essentially a shallow box about 2'x2'x4" with a port to stick a vacuum hose in on one side and a grid of smallish holes on the top.  I can do it by hand of course, but I really don't enjoy the idea of hand drilling a few hundred holes, with the inevitable slight variations that will just nag at me forever.  I could lay out a 2D diagram of what I want to do in just a few minutes, and I could laser cut it, but not very well (if at all) in the material (MDF) and thickness (3/4") I'd prefer.

I'm planning on some projects this spring that will require a bunch of knobs with threaded posts.  I could buy a ton of plastic pre-made knobs off of eBay, but I'd prefer something made out of the same wood I'm using, and some will have outdoor applications, and it's hard to find stainless hardware in a cost-effective way.  Again, I could pretty easily lay out my design in a 2D drawing program like inkscape, but 3/4" cedar isn't going to be pretty or a great idea to laser cut (not to mention the amount of sanding the char!).

This past weekend, I made myself a router table.  The top required fiddly accurate routing for the insert, t-tracks and miter channel.  Again, I have the skill to design that in 2D, or 3D with SketchUp,  just not to take it to the CNC and CAM.

I was trained in on the 4x4 back right before Matt basically cut everyone off, and never got to actually put the knowledge to use, so it's all more or less gone.

Jonathan Alt

Feb 1, 2017, 8:40:24 AM2/1/17
to tcmaker

I'm interested in the CNC Checkout and the 2 CAD / CAM design Training

George Gelly

Feb 1, 2017, 10:38:26 AM2/1/17
to tcmaker
I am interested in getting checked out on the machines and on the CAM process.  Long term, I'm planning on building the shelving (out of nice wood) for a small collection showroom.  However, I've got several "learning" projects along the way that include an enclosure for an electric wheelchair as a "robot" for my 6-year old and custom cutting boards as gifts for Christmas 2017 (material TBD).  Personally, I'm going to try and use Fusion360 as my "base" design/CAD/CAM tool so having some advice on that process (that I was planning to document for others to use) would be helpful.

Steve Peterson

Feb 1, 2017, 11:13:57 AM2/1/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I'm interested in the checkout.  Projects from plywood include some internal storage parts for a road case I built, and some radiator covers.

I also occasionally have the need to run items in sheet aluminum, but don't currently have a project in that material.

Matt Symanietz

Feb 1, 2017, 11:18:59 AM2/1/17
to tcmaker
I am interested in getting checked out on each of the machines. I already know CAD but I would greatly appreciate any insights you have for designing for these routers.

Pete McKenna

Feb 1, 2017, 6:56:31 PM2/1/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Great to see so many responses, I'll try and collate the desires into a couple of sessions / classes for the near term. I'll be in tonight if anyone has questions or wants to discuss further.

I'm also curious how the recent CNC build sessions went, http://www.tcmaker.org/blog/2017/01/next-cnc-class/

Pete

Kelly Murphy

Feb 3, 2017, 5:00:12 PM2/3/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in both.  I want to produce wood forms that can be used to make Xmas decorations frames to hold LEDs.

Nicholas Chapel

Feb 8, 2017, 11:08:16 PM2/8/17
to tcmaker
I'm interested in getting checked out on the CNC's.  I have a few vague ideas for projects, but I'm interested in learning how the CNC works as a whole.

I also have a friend who's recently moved to Minneapolis and is very interested in becoming a member and learning about the CNC as well.

Thanks,
   --Nick

Pete McKenna

Mar 6, 2017, 7:08:37 PM3/6/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
So the 4x4 CNC is in need of some rebuilding and upgrades. If you are willing and able to help with this we will be meeting on Sunday March 12th from noon until 3 or so to work on things.

What needs doing:
We need to do some electrical work, limit switches, E-stop, relay for dust collection, relay for coolant pump, relay for enclosure fans. etc ( The control for all of this is provided by a MESA 6I25 + 7I76 daughter card combination details here and at LinuxCNC.org http://www.mesanet.com/
We also need to do some plumbing, to get the spindle and chiller setup to work together. I'm going to try and hunt down some flexible 8x5mm tubing, unless someone has some already?
We also need to attach the spindle to the Z-axis,
Sort out how to get the pendant ( A Contour Shuttle Pro )  to talk to LinuxCNC, ( It should work, but I couldn't get the pendant config to be found by LinuxCNC yet )
and many other things. I don't think we will get everything done on Sunday, but it will be a good start. Due to the amount of construction going on we wont get into other design and operation concepts this go around, so if that is your goal, plan accordingly.

Thanks
Pete