Ham radio

Jim Wygralak

May 29, 2017, 3:45:04 PM5/29/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I know we have a number of hams in the group. I renewed my license recently and picked up a cheap Baofeng HT. I programmed in about 60 local repeaters. Over the last couple weeks of periodic scanning, I think I've heard actual QSOs about 3 or 4 times.
Does anyone actually talk on VHF/UHF repeaters anymore?
Is there a good repeater for general chatter, that I might be able to hit from the Anoka area with a handheld?

John Scherer

May 29, 2017, 5:33:07 PM5/29/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

Hi Jim, its been some time since I’ve been in the Minneapolis area but I still know some active ham’s in the area.  I reached out to one, KD0CAC, John, and he suggested the ‘85’ repeater system.  The 146.85 (WD0HWT) repeater has two swapnets, (Sat, Sun) and a Technet on Thrusday evenings.  Both are good fun.  It’s easily the largest repeater system in the area.

Lot of them are going digital these days, some with D-Star, and Yaesu’s Fusion system, others are going to D-Star.  I’ve just picked up one of the super cheep Chinese DMR HT radio, the TYT MD-380.  These new digital modes are nice because you can talk all over the world.  That being said, there are still a lot of people on FM analog.

If your on the radio, you can call for my friend John, KD0CAC.  I’m sure he’d be happy to help you out over a cup of coffee.

http://wd0hwt.net/

146.85

N0BVE

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Eric Osterberg

May 29, 2017, 5:48:49 PM5/29/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I'd recommend DMR as the radio's can be had for <$100 bucks and coverage is fantastic and as already mentioned, you can communicate worldwide and every where in between. Be sure you order the UHF version as that's where all the repeaters are.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=md-380&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_mPrRngCbx=1&_udlo=40&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=55417&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_sop=15&_dmd=1&_ipg=50

Allan

May 29, 2017, 5:49:05 PM5/29/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
(Here's message for the list--repeats what I send Jim direct mail)

Yeap! Ham radio ain't dead yet, lol.

The MARA 146.85 repeater is probably the most active and has 6 receive sites for entire metro HT coverage. That was it's design goal as you can read up on on the web. Others see activity during the commute times more I would say and I don't know more detail.

Try "the 85" and let me know if in a few tries you don't get a reply.

There are some net to check out like:

http://tcfmc.org/calendar/

the TC FM club saturday swap shop: 9:30 am Saturdays on 146.76- tone 114.8. This is really popular, 30-40 stations check in a quite a lot of gear offered for sale (good for getting started).

You might look up repeater close to you for a handheld. Complete list kept by Minnesota Repeater Council at:

http://www.mrc.gen.mn.us/MN_List.pdf

http://www.mrc.gen.mn.us/

Allan

WB0WHD

Jim Wygralak

Jun 1, 2017, 9:09:02 PM6/1/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the responses.

I did manage to make a few contacts on the 146.85 repeater, and I've heard more traffic there than all the others combined.
I'm not sure why I didn't have that one in my radio.
I had downloaded about 60 repeaters, and programmed them into my radio.
Possibly it was outside the search radius I had selected.

Allan

Jun 1, 2017, 9:27:49 PM6/1/17
to Jim Wygralak, tcm...@googlegroups.com

If there's anything your interested in, ask, I'll see you get an answer. Any of the nets would be good for questions. The tech-net can field build/project questions. There are lots of clubs, activities you can do. Field day is a very good one to attend. Google it. The MN Amateur Radio Technical Society builds mostly electronics/radio projects.

Allan

Kelly Murphy

Jun 2, 2017, 5:49:52 PM6/2/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

 You could also join the Anoka Radio Club, looks like they are having a meeting tonight planning for Field Day. http://www.anokaradio.org/joomla/calendar

ACRC June General Meeting from 7 to 9 pm at the Blaine City Hall, Mark Stack Room.  Everyone is welcome to attend.

I'm a member of the Maple Grove Radio Club: www.k0ltc.com

Kelly Murphy,
KB0LTY