I have dead batteries - you have the know how....

Jonathan Alt

Jul 10, 2017, 3:27:13 PM7/10/17
to tcmaker
Currently everyone of our Bosch 18V Batteries is dead - and leaving them on the charger does nothing.

I'm guessing that the charger is malfunctioning - however, it could be that all the batteries are goners too...

Anyone out there have time and know-how to run some tests and report back a diagnosis?

The Batteries and Charger are located on top of the Power Tool Cubby Cubes.

John Scherer

Jul 10, 2017, 4:19:08 PM7/10/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
If I were there I would look.. Maybe someone can try.  Seems like your not the only one with 18v battery issues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNEUSH3Eag0

John Scherer
(619)354-4142
1552 Regulus Street 92111
WebsiteGB   email    Twitter button   Google button

Jonathan Alt

Jul 11, 2017, 9:32:06 AM7/11/17
to tcmaker
Thanks for the link...

I constantly get into this position where I can either do one repair or another due to time restrictions.  This time it just happens to be batteries or repair a spindle sander...

Being that we have corded versions of the saws-all, skill saw, and  jigsaw that use these batteries - I think I'll just wait until someone has some time to look at the batteries and focus on the sander.

metis

Jul 11, 2017, 9:48:00 AM7/11/17
to tcmaker
It's occurred to me several times that my small herd of dead dewalt batteries can probably be taken apart, tested and made into 1-2 functional ones, and that other folks probably also have dead batteries with some good cells.

It seems like a tool battery repair party might not be an entirely crazy mini event to have co-incident with open house some week.  Take over a couple of the wood shop work benches and use folks hanging out as labor?    A battery spot welder is under $100 on ebay and may not be a terrible investment for the shop.

-m

Chris Gallaty

Jul 11, 2017, 11:18:58 AM7/11/17
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I have some 12V Black and Deckers that I need to work on. There is a state where the battery can go too low for the charger to recognize as as valid (most batteries have no IC) You can rehab some just by giving them a charge from a bench unit, etc, after which they will behave (some what) for a while longer. I've also seen folks doing full scale converts using old laptop batteries. I would assume though that whatever the 'fix' it does not serve us to make charging a wood shop tool into a 'project' and anything hacks had better not be able to over heat, etc if someone leaves them on a charger for a day. That said, I have been _very_ keen on getting into building my own battery packs and there are tons of tools to be had on Craigs and the like that just have dead cells and the replacement cost is purposely skewed to get you to just buy a new tool. It could work out to our favor to get a local group together to do battery hacking. Usually the raw cells for any given pack are on eBay for super cheap long after the packs themselves are MIA as well. (ran into this with some old Telxon units I was stuck supporting a while back) Who's up for starting an battery R & D group?

Chris Gallaty
EveryB1T, Inc.
612.867.5572

Jonathan Alt

Jul 25, 2017, 9:56:59 AM7/25/17
to tcmaker
I'm still looking for a volunteer to help with this.

Feel free to just jump in and do it - just send me a message when you either fix - or come to the conclusion the batteries are dead.

Thank you