Air Filtration, High-Ventilation Area (AF/HVA) - Phase I (Planning)

George Gelly

Sep 26, 2016, 4:56:44 PM9/26/16
to tcmaker, Jon Alt, Stephen Van Dahm, Christopher Odegard, Tcmaker Treasurer
Hello, comrades and comarades.

In the last Board Meeting (8/20/2016), I took on the job of attempting to coordinate outfitting a space for use of airborne chemicals (volatile organic chemicals, etching compounds, atomized paints, etc.).

Please see below for some initial considerations for the "Air Filtration, High-Ventilation Area" (AF/HVA).

I would like to have a few meetings of interested parties to talk through the issues, perhaps on Member nights.

I would suggest we meet at 7:00pm on the following 3 nights: 10/12, 10/26, & 11/9... but if others would prefer different days, please chime in.

Also, please let me know what you think, if you can suggest changes (or even comments) to be added to the list below, or others that you think might be interested.

Thanks!
George

TCMaker Air Filtered High-Ventilation Area (AF/HVA)

Considerations:
  1. What are the regulations for Minneapolis and Minnesota for having a space where airborne Volatile Organic Chemicals (VOCs) are captured, filtered and ventilated ?
  2. What is the target location for the AF/HVA (current “1st Floor Server Room”, current location of Laser Room, other)?
  3. Does the AF/HVA need to be portable or, alternatively, a “make do” space?
    1. Pro for portable: won’t lose investments, can justify extra features
    2. Con for portable: extra construction complexity/time
  4. What dimensions should the AF/HVA Interior Space be?
    1. Existing 1st Floor Server Room - approximately: 13’10” long x 8’ wide x 8’ high
    2. Existing Laser Cutter Room - approximately: 14’3” long x 9’7” wide x 8’ high
  5. Does the AF/HVA space need to be a Positive or Negative pressure space?
    1. Postive Pressure:
      1. Pro: best dust-free setup
      2. Con: extra cost and complexity/time
    2. Negative Presssure:
      1. Pro: Less costly
      2. Con: Dust entry around doors and cracks (not through intake filter)
  6. Does the AF/HVA need access to water / drain (not recommended for environmental reasons)?
    1. Alternatively, do we need a properly outfitted “chemical prep/cleanup” area (water and VOC-based cleanup)?
  7. Does the AF/HVA need to be overhead water resistant (in case of roof leaks)?
  8. Does the AF/HVA need to be VOC safe (spark protection, active carbon filtering on exit, etc.)?
    1. Pro: seems like we are going to use VOC’s, keeps fire risks down (however remote)
    2. Con: extra complexity/cost, regular replacement of expensive (~$50) active carbon filters
  9. Does the entry door of the AF/HVA need to swing open (like french doors) or slide open (barn door style)… however wouldn’t use pocket doors (too hard to keep stable)?
  10. Does the AF/HVA need windows?  If so, where?
  11. Does the AF/HVA need HVAC (or just use air-flow from maker space as temperature regulation)
  12. Do we need a fire/VOC/spill safe chemical cabinet nearby?
  13. Do we need a “staging area” for member work items scheduled for the area or just completed from the area?
  14. Any preferences on interior lighting (LED seems best, but may need replaceable covers)
  15. Does TCMakers need to supply the high-pressure air spraying equipment (hoses, pots, etc.) or High-volume Low-pressure (HVLP) spraying equipment (spray unit, pots, hoses, etc.)
  16. Possible Features:
    1. High Pressure Air line (seem obvious, but will need to consider hose connection types)
    2. Wide entry doors (how wide?)
    3. Builder’s Paper and Painter’s Tape dispenser outside (for floor and object protection)
    4. Fold-down tables on inside walls
    5. Hanging rods/hooks in inside ceiling
    6. Outside Fold down table, pass-through, and power outlet for external HVLP (or similar) spraying system
    7. Vacuum Cleaner (canister mounted outside of Room with internal hose)
    8. Security Camera to observe use/abuse
    9. Outside rack for full-face safety masks with filters (and replaceable visor covers)
    10. Large and small item tables with casters (to make change-overs easier)
  17. Possible Policies:
    1. Need light training before use (mostly about policies, but the AF/HVA may have some tricky things… you never know)
    2. Need to sign-up for usage AND drying time on calendar
    3. Chemicals must be safely stored or not in building (can’t store in AF/HVA)
    4. Must use Full Face Filter masks (and must be replaced if damaged)
    5. Recommend using full cover paint suits (with hood and booties)

Jon Alt

Sep 26, 2016, 8:17:45 PM9/26/16
to George Gelly, tcmaker, Stephen Van Dahm, Christopher Odegard, Tcmaker Treasurer
The date/time works for me!

Sent from my iPhone

Jonathan Alt

Sep 28, 2016, 11:38:09 AM9/28/16
to tcmaker
FYI - Group / Dates Advertised on Facebook and Woodshop Whiteboard.

orion

Oct 10, 2016, 12:10:32 AM10/10/16
to tcmaker
The servers have been relocated to advance this project.

George Gelly

Oct 11, 2016, 1:29:16 PM10/11/16
to tcmaker
I was in last night to more prep on the space and happily noticed the change. Much appreciated!

Jonathan Alt

Oct 13, 2016, 9:45:00 AM10/13/16
to tcmaker, alt...@gmail.com, ste...@vandahm.com, code...@me.com, trea...@tcmaker.org
Just thought of this...for the groups consideration...

We all know how important it will be for people to get "checked out" before using the room so they don't turn it into a combustion chamber.

That being said - do we consider putting keypad lock on the door?  Only people trained in will get the combination?

What would be even nicer is if we put a key fob lock on the door - that way if someone abuses the space - we simple shut off their access to the room.

Would make enforcing a ban and requiring training that much easier!

orion

Oct 13, 2016, 11:58:24 PM10/13/16
to tcmaker, alt...@gmail.com, ste...@vandahm.com, code...@me.com, trea...@tcmaker.org
The key system is not setup to do this.....yet.