Art-A-Whirl (Seeking Projects and Demonstrations for May 15th-17th)

No Impunity

May 7, 2015, 4:18:00 PM5/7/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

Hello fellow Makers, Art-A-Whirl is just around the corner (15th-17th) and what better way to prep for Minne-Faire on the 23rd-24th then by making a little something to put on our Hack Factory booth or setting up a demonstration to show off what you, and the space, are both capable of. I'll be there every day to set up and help facilitate the displays and whatnot so if you've got trinkets, time or a project to show then contact me with a picture or an idea on Facebook via Kalyetor Delacroix or on my email account mech...@gmail.com.

We're going to have several tables and a 10'x10' pop-up over the three day event, so let's really show them what-for with a good smorgasbord of projects and a varied smattering of crafts.

(Really though, I'm looking for a lot of small trinkets from every department: wood, metal, laser, leather, sewing, robotics, etc., so let me know if you've made anything cool lately. grin emoticon )

Hours:
Friday May 15th: 5-10
Saturday May 16th: 12-8
Sunday May 17th: 12-5

Address:
The Waterbury Building
1121 Jackson St NE, Suite 106
Minneapolis, MN 55413

And, as always, Twin Cities Makers...

Hack Well. Hack Hard.

No Impunity

May 8, 2015, 12:28:06 PM5/8/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Hey, who does the Shapeoko belong to and can we get it to run at this event for a time?

Jer Davis

May 8, 2015, 12:53:44 PM5/8/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
The Shapeoko belongs to the shop, it was donated by Inventables last summer. It's pretty messy to run, if you wanted to run it at the event you'd probably want to try to take it in the cabinet somehow, maybe that would fit upright on the truck ok? For that to be interesting we'll probably also want to get a light installed so people can look in and see it running.

I can provide some samples of aluminum parts milled on it. I might be able to work on that some next week. Alex said something about having some lighting or ballasts.

For it to be running at the event whoever's working the booth will probably want to have some understanding of how to use it to make sure it's running properly. Bad things can happen on occasion if you don't know what you're doing.

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 11:28 AM, No Impunity <mech...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey, who does the Shapeoko belong to and can we get it to run at this event for a time?

Kyle C.

May 8, 2015, 1:37:55 PM5/8/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
That'd be great if we could get some of your pieces to display. Will you have time to how them off yourself over the weekend?

Yeah, I agree about the operation. I think if we can get some simple, repetitive examples to do then it would be a fun and safe display that would require little hassle and fine tuning. The only thing I'd like is a lower presentation of the machine so kids can see it too. Is there a way we can transfer it to one of the open 3D printer boxes in the basement?

~Kyle

ompany Awesome
We Make Stuff
.

Graham Smith

May 9, 2015, 1:30:40 AM5/9/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
The Shapeoko is really noisy with a router attached. This makes it less approachable and might drive people away.

I suggest fitting markers to it so it can draw stuff. This captures the CNC-ness and gives the kids (and adults) something they can take home. If we print "TC Maker" and our contact info on the paper it serves as advertising as well.

Doing this would require, in order of necessity:

1. A way to hold markers on the shapeoko (and switch them, for more colors)
2. Clipboard-like clamps for holding the paper on
3a. Example toolpaths OR
3b. An drawing program that does svg->gcode and sends it to the Shapeoko
4. A big button that says "Draw!" (buttons are fun. If kids can't draw their own stuff they should at least be able to press go)

I am reasonably confident in my ability to do 3b (drawing program). The others should be pretty straightforward. Thoughts?

No Impunity

May 9, 2015, 11:37:09 AM5/9/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I call this a go. I just need some spare clipboards to tear the clips off of and we can rivet them to a bigger piece of 1/8" board. We can paint and stencil TC Maker on it if we feel bored. As for printing our information on the paper, let's print the letter head on our color printer so it's a faster process. If we're going to use a little thicker cardstock, we'll do it through the marker.

Any volunteers for figuring out these little tidbits? I'll help on the button and I've got an idea for how that'll be held as part of the display. Still going to need some assistance with the wiring and components but I'll do the facing.

So tool paths? Simple shapes? Anyone got twenty minutes to design a couple quick shapes or to submit a cool design to print?

~Kyle

Graham Smith

May 10, 2015, 7:48:34 PM5/10/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Kyle, it would also be good to get a thin (1/4") foam sheet to fit under the paper. This will lessen damage strain to the marker tips when they press into the paper.

I can look into the toolpaths and see if I can make an easy-to-use interface.

Any takers for the pen holder? Something simple like this would work.Or tiny hose clamps.

Graham

Jeremiah Davis

May 12, 2015, 4:52:25 PM5/12/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Assuming the Shapeoko hasn't been taken for display yet, I plan to come in tomorrow and see if I can build a drag knife for it. I got ahold of the plans for this:

I have some 3/8" plate I can use to machine the parts from. I've already altered the design for a 1/4" shank. It's potentially to short notice to really have this all figured out, but a drag knife would be handy for demos and just to have around the shop for cutting thin materials. Actually looking forward to see how this works for leather.

I'll also see what else I can make available. I have a few parts machined I haven't assembled yet. I also have my full throttle build, but am a little hesitant to hand it over for display. I still don't know how much time I'll have available to come hang out, but I'll try to figure that out over the next few days. Saturday I'll have my daughter all day as my wife has a class she's attending. Where will the TCMaker booth be?

Doug

May 12, 2015, 7:27:39 PM5/12/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I emptied my brother's trailer, because I was going to bring out the TC+ Smart Bar we are having at Minne-Faire and Convergence to the Waterbury building to demo for Art-a-Whirl this weekend.  Although it won't have the smart drinks yet.  I will probably mount one the 3D printer on it.

When will we be able to drop projects off at the Waterbury on Friday?  I don't think I personally will have much time to spend there until Saturday night and Sunday.  I'll probably print off some Minne-Faire posters to spread around.

- Doug

Graham Smith

May 12, 2015, 11:17:51 PM5/12/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Jeremiah I really want to try that joystick out, it'd be awesome if you brought it!

Graham

Jeremiah Davis

May 13, 2015, 2:27:00 PM5/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I'll for sure bring it with me if I can make it out. Right now I think I'll plan to bike out with the little one on Saturday. I may see if I can get over there for awhile Friday evening as well. I'll have it with me tonight at the Open House too. I'll try to remember to bring another computer to drive the shapeoko in case anyone wants to try it out.

Peter Larson

May 14, 2015, 2:11:14 PM5/14/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
It might be a little late to get something figured out for this, but I think it would be pretty cool to have some sort of welding demo. Not sure exactly what it would look like. Maybe just have a bunch of scrap metal and let people just run a short MIG bead on it? or have someone working on a project throughout the day that people can watch through some welding curtains?

mechavile

May 15, 2015, 1:24:16 PM5/15/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, that's a little late but I looked at the display space and it looks like it could accommodate it for next year, with proper safety measures.

Another last minute: Can we take the kiosk out to the Art-A-Whirl?

Jer Davis

May 16, 2015, 10:30:50 PM5/16/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Did my cargo bike get stuck inside the space tonight? We went to look around and get some food, I mentioned this and said to go ahead and keep the throttle and CNC parts of we didn't make it back. When I got back to Waterbury my bike was also gone. Hoping it just got locked up, it would have been pretty hard to steal.

Kyle C.

May 17, 2015, 12:05:36 AM5/17/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, that was me. Yeah, I saw your stuff but didn't hear that or have a way to get a hold of you so I packed it up when I left around 8:45-9. I didn't want it to get stolen, and did notice the locked wheel, but wanted to make sure in case it was an all night thing. I'm so sorry if I inconvenienced you at all.

Jer Davis

May 17, 2015, 10:36:10 AM5/17/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
No problem, we figured that was the case. My wife drove so we had the car to get home. No big deal!

I'll come out sometime during the event today to get it

Jer Davis

May 18, 2015, 11:05:26 AM5/18/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Just checking, but did my throttle and other parts get taken back to the shop? That's what I assume. I'll head over there today some time to pick them up if so.