SMD soldering

Jeremiah Davis

May 19, 2015, 10:36:02 AM5/19/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to be doing a little bit of pcb work soon. Do we have a reflow oven at the shop? I can't remember from the little bit I've looked around the electronics lab.

Michael Englehorn

May 19, 2015, 11:55:37 AM5/19/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

Jeremiah Davis

Aug 13, 2015, 5:12:23 PM8/13/15
to tcmaker
Someone had mentioned that there was a hot air gun for reflow/solder removal when I posed this question awhile back, unfortunately when I was there last night Scott said that belonged to a member and had been removed. I know there's no reflow oven either.

I know that I could probably figure out how to do the little bit of work I need with drag soldering, but I honestly haven't had much luck yet and don't want to wreck my boards or parts.

Is there any interest in having a toaster reflow oven or something else like that at the shop?

I'm about to consider just building one myself but for the amount of work I need to do it's a bit silly even if it's not that huge of an expense.

Jim Wygralak

Aug 13, 2015, 5:16:47 PM8/13/15
to tcmaker
I thought there was a toaster oven around there that was designated "Not for Food"
On top of the cabinets over the sink in the classroom, maybe?

Steve McGrath

Aug 13, 2015, 7:37:27 PM8/13/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Aug 13, 2015 at 02:12:22PM -0700, Jeremiah Davis wrote:
> Someone had mentioned that there was a hot air gun for reflow/solder
> removal when I posed this question awhile back, unfortunately when I was
> there last night Scott said that belonged to a member and had been removed.
> I know there's no reflow oven either.

We used to have an SMD rework station in the classroom, but it's owner took it home.

I believe we have another one now though, unless it was also taken home. It belongs to Steve Skalko, I'd try to talk to him about it.

Scott Hill

Aug 17, 2015, 1:57:03 AM8/17/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
And I totally missed that Steve’s rework station is in a box on the electronics bench. How I don’t know, it’s a big red Sparkfun box, how do you miss that?