Fumes/Getting lightheaded

niko kubota

Apr 2, 2016, 12:39:47 PM4/2/16
to tcmaker
I started feeling dizzy and light-headed when I was working in the metal shop area yesterday morning, and ended up having to leave after a couple hours. There was only one other person working then, and neither of us were doing anything that would release fumes.
Does anyone have any ideas about what might have caused that? It certainly could have just been me, but I'd like to track down the source if it was paint drying, or a leak in the offgassing system for the space or something.
Thanks for any help or advice.
-Niko

Steve Peterson

Apr 2, 2016, 12:55:25 PM4/2/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I walked through the metal shop at about noon yesterday, and didn't notice anything unusual odor-wise.

Don French

Apr 2, 2016, 1:03:42 PM4/2/16
to tcmaker
Beans for lunch?

-- Don

Stephen Van Dahm

Apr 2, 2016, 6:36:48 PM4/2/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Do you think the tenants on the other side of the wall might have been doing something to produce the fumes?

dshay

Jul 10, 2016, 9:17:13 PM7/10/16
to tcmaker

There are a small subset of the population that have a sensitivity to petroleum distillates (or Volatile Organic Compounds), considered almost an allergic reaction from a small amount of exposure, some people are born this way or develop it from previous exposures that make them more sensitive. I'm someone that got exposed to some funny stuff at a job and now if I don't take care to be upwind while I'm fueling up, I'm all fumbly bumbly afterwards.

An example is people that feel funny being in close proximity to someone with perfume on, perfumes have ingredients like Isobutyl Acetate and some people in the population have allergies to this, the struggle is real.

You might be sensitive and if your drive to continue to be in a space where projects are curing is overriding you might want to wear a VOC type painters mask if you feel this coming on.  I tend to put one on precautionary on a bunch of projects where the normal population would look at me funny and wonder why I'm all death vader.

Michael Englehorn

Jul 11, 2016, 1:29:54 PM7/11/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I'm one such person as well, I carry an activated-charcoal type
respirator in my car all the time in case someone gets the bright idea
of painting or putting on nail polish somewhere I have to be.

As far as I can tell, the only thing I'm really sensitive to is Acetone,
but who knows..

--Michael Englehorn