Maker Faire -- the other one

Daniel Feldman

Apr 28, 2015, 12:16:09 PM4/28/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I've been out of the loop / crazy busy for a while, so this may be obvious, but is TC Makers involved in this event: http://makerfairemsp.com/
Is it related to the Minne Maker Faire? Should we plan some kind of participation?
Daniel

SL Solarz

Apr 29, 2015, 10:23:51 AM4/29/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
I actually wrote them to ask if they reached out to the local maker space. Have not heard back but it's only been a couple days...Susan

Jeremy L

Apr 29, 2015, 5:14:14 PM4/29/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

The webpage says something about Leonardo’s Basement.

Justin S

Apr 30, 2015, 12:51:28 AM4/30/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,
I am helping to coordinate Maker Faire (http://makerfairemsp.com/) and I am happy to report that TC Maker has a table reserved. Scott officially submitted the application today. We are trying to get all the local maker spaces involved and I think we have heard from most of them.

The Minneapolis St Paul Maker Faire and the Minne-faire are separate events on back to back weekends. Leonardo's Basement is the host organization for the Maker Faire MSP.

As I understand it, Scott is planning to round up some representatives. Everyone welcome to participate. If you anyone is interested in sharing their own project you can still answer the Call for Makers until Sunday night May 3rd.

Let me know if you have questions. The more people who get involved the better the event will be. We would love to tap the passion and enthusiasm of TC Maker and share it at the faire.

Daniel Feldman

Apr 30, 2015, 2:41:58 PM4/30/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Cool. I can't go to minne faire (out of town) so I'll go to that one instead. Now I have to think of a project to demo so I don't have to pay the admission fee :).
Daniel

Jeremy L

Apr 30, 2015, 3:20:24 PM4/30/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

Two similar events, on back-to-back weekends?  That doesn’t help either group.  People will be confused.

How did this go down?

Jeremy

Pete McKenna

Apr 30, 2015, 3:39:14 PM4/30/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
They were originally on the same weekend, and it went down with no coordination or forewarning.

Doug

Apr 30, 2015, 6:08:01 PM4/30/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Last year (2014) the TC Maker's annual Minne-Faire was held the weekend after Labor Day weekend.  The people who are behind the new maker faire this year at the state fairgrounds with the $20 admission chose to have it the weekend after Labor Day.  The rule of "assuming positive intent" dictates assuming they didn't realize that another maker faire happened annually in the Twin Cities area.  Meanwhile this Spring, without knowing about the creation of the other maker faire, the TC Maker board decided to have Minne-Faire on Labor Day weekend this year by happenstance.  I have heard some people at the Hack Factory say in the past that they wanted to have a MAKE branded Mini Faire at the fairgrounds.  The TC Maker board, who represents the members, seems to have taken the position of not creating a confrontation and making the best of it.  At least that is my impression.

Daniel Feldman

Apr 30, 2015, 6:10:34 PM4/30/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Here's an article about the Mini Maker Faire: http://www.twincities.com/ci_27775782 .

Apparently they are expecting 200 exhibits and 20,000 attendees. That is somewhat larger than past attendance at Minne Faire.  If they can do it, it will be a huge step forward for the maker movement in the Twin Cities, and I wish them the best of luck.

I'll attend and see how it goes! Be excellent to each other!

Daniel

Jeremy L

May 1, 2015, 12:03:12 AM5/1/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

Why hasn’t TCMaker had an official MAKE event?  Maybe there are too many requirements on size / funding etc?

I thought one of the early TCMaker faires did have some connection.

Michael Englehorn

May 1, 2015, 12:16:05 AM5/1/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com

I'm not sure, but I think MAKE requires you to sign your soul over to
them in order to have an official MAKE event. If that's the case it's
very likely the reason why we haven't had one.

- -Michael Englehorn

On 04/30/2015 11:03 PM, Jeremy L wrote:

> Why hasn’t TCMaker had an official MAKE event? Maybe there are too
> many requirements on size / funding etc?
>
> I thought one of the early TCMaker faires did have some
> connection.
>
> On Apr 30, 2015, at 5:08 PM, Doug <audf...@gmail.com
>> <javascript:>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all, I am helping to coordinate Maker Faire
>>> (http://makerfairemsp.com/) and I am happy to report that TC
>>> Maker has a table reserved. Scott officially submitted the
>>> application today. We are trying to get all the local maker
>>> spaces involved and I think we have heard from most of them.
>>>
>>> The Minneapolis St Paul Maker Faire and the Minne-faire are
>>> separate events on back to back weekends. Leonardo's Basement
>>> is the host organization for the Maker Faire MSP.
>>>
>>> As I understand it, Scott is planning to round up some
>>> representatives. Everyone welcome to participate. If you anyone
>>> is interested in sharing their own project you can still answer
>>> the Call for Makers until Sunday night May 3rd.
>>>
>>> Let me know if you have questions. The more people who get
>>> involved the better the event will be. We would love to tap the
>>> passion and enthusiasm of TC Maker and share it at the faire.
>>>
>>> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>>> Google Groups "tcmaker" group. To unsubscribe from this group
>>> and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
>>> tcmaker+u...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>. For more options,
>>> visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>>

>> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>> Google Groups "tcmaker" group. To unsubscribe from this group and
>> stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
>> tcmaker+u...@googlegroups.com <javascript:>. For more options,
>> visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.
>>

>> -- Pete McKenna pete.m...@gmail.com <javascript:>
>>

>> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
>> Google Groups "tcmaker" group. To unsubscribe from this group and
>> stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
>> tcmaker+u...@googlegroups.com
>> visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>
> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the
> Google Groups "tcmaker" group. To unsubscribe from this group and
> stop receiving emails from it, send an email to
> tcmaker+u...@googlegroups.com
> visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Justin S

May 1, 2015, 5:26:06 AM5/1/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
There are definitely a handful of rules and requirements. I am not sure what they all are, I only got involved in the whole thing in March so I wasn't apart of much of the initial planning. Given that fact I can't speak to why the chosen weekend was chosen, but I am quite confident it was not intended as a slight to the Minnie-faire. I hope both events will be well attended. With any luck, having both event in close proximity only helps to ignite and excite the Twin Cities maker community as a whole.

Justin

vicepr...@tcmaker.org

May 1, 2015, 9:48:30 PM5/1/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Here's the history, as my age-addled brain remembers it:

Way back in the dark ages (2010), we decided to put on a little show. Like a big fair that a certain magazine was putting on, but smaller. We called it a "minne-maker fair," because it's a good little pun.

In 2011 we decided to do it again. This time we decided maybe we should get clearance from Make:, so we asked if our name was OK by them. Make: was not doing Mini Maker Faires at the time, and at any rate they said "yes."

2012 comes along, and Make: decided we needed to sign an agreement. They hit us up fairly late in prep, but we managed to hash out an agreement. It was not an official "Mini Maker Faire."

So for 2013 the board looked into the agreement for doing an official, Make:-affiliated Faire. The thing that struck us was that there were a lot of requirements on us, but very little in return from Make:. We would have needed corporate approval for all of our advertising, the events and the list of exhibitors, and we also would have had to gather up as many email addresses as possible from exhibitors and attendees. In return, we would be allowed to use their logo, and maybe get some advertising (though there was no guarantee of that).

We figured our little cowtown DIY show was doing well enough without the extra hassle of getting Make:'s imprimatur, so we decided not to go for it. And personally, I'm glad of that. Minne-Faire is our little show, and I like its cozy feel.  Plus, between trying to keep TCMaker running and also having a Real Life on the side, I just don't have the energy to try running a bigger event.

I'm really happy that Leonardo's Basement decided to take on the work, and I'm looking forward to being at the first Mini Maker Faire in town.

No Impunity

May 7, 2015, 4:13:52 PM5/7/15
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Okay, good to know on all of this.

What's happening with the event and the congregation of makers and projects? Is that moving along smoothly or slowly?