Solidworks Instruction

Patrick Raines

Nov 4, 2016, 9:49:50 AM11/4/16
to tcmaker

I have been teaching myself 3D printing and design for a year and a half with a lot of successes but plenty of things I would like to be able to do better. I recently got converted from a contractor to an actual employee of Boston Scientific so I now have access to $8,000 in educational assistance.  I am thinking about taking a course that would teach solidworks since I have found Fusion 360 frustrating and blender limited by not actually being CAD software.

Does anyone have input on whither Century College's "ECAD 2053 Introduction to solid works", Dunwoody's "MDES1110" or UMN's "ME 2011: Introduction to Engineering" are more comprehensive?

Steve Peterson

Nov 4, 2016, 10:37:57 AM11/4/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Not sure if you saw the ME2011 syllabus online:  https://sites.google.com/a/umn.edu/me2011/syllabus.  The course schedule in particular is worth looking at: https://sites.google.com/a/umn.edu/me2011/schedule.  One big hint here is that they require you to purchase the Creo elearning library.  I suspect they expect students to largely be self directed in learning the software, and if your goal is to learn Solidworks it might not be right for you.

I bought Solidworks 2014 Reference Guide and worked my way through all of the examples in the areas I'm interested in.  I thought it was a quality book for learning the mechanics of operating Solidworks.

Another option to consider is a Lynda.com or safari.com subscription.  They seem to have a good range of Solidworks training:  https://www.lynda.com/Solidworks-training-tutorials/1157-0.html  Some companies will pay for that under a departmental budget, or have group access (I get safari.com access through our company library).  Lynda.com has a 10 day trial that you could use to determine whether that content solves your problem.

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016, at 08:49 AM, Patrick Raines wrote:

I have been teaching myself 3D printing and design for a year and a half with a lot of successes but plenty of things I would like to be able to do better. I recently got converted from a contractor to an actual employee of Boston Scientific so I now have access to $8,000 in educational assistance.  I am thinking about taking a course that would teach solidworks since I have found Fusion 360 frustrating and blender limited by not actually being CAD software.

Does anyone have input on whither Century College's "ECAD 2053 Introduction to solid works", Dunwoody's "MDES1110" or UMN's "ME 2011: Introduction to Engineering" are more comprehensive?

Eric Osterberg

Nov 4, 2016, 11:04:49 AM11/4/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Anyone who's interested in a student edition of Solidworks, please allow me to introduce you to EAA. The Experimental Aircraft Association. Literally, please allow me to introduce you. Membership is 40 bucks a year and they have worked out a deal with Solidworks. Anyone who's an EAA member has access to this license. I'm a lifetime member and have been volunteering during Airventure in July for the past 20 years.

I would be interested in learning from someone as well. I find I don't have the time unless I make the time. I would really benefit from having something set aside on my calendar.

Andrew Lindberg

Nov 6, 2016, 8:45:37 AM11/6/16
to tcmaker
I would like more info on the EAA.

Also I use SW for work and could give anyone one on one instructions for assembly, parts, and layout drawings.

Andy

Steve Peterson

Eric Osterberg

Nov 6, 2016, 10:26:38 AM11/6/16
to tcm...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Steve,

If anyone has the opportunity, please mention learning about this from Eric Osterberg, Lifetime member from Minneapolis when you sign up for membership.

On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 8:26 AM, Steve Peterson <st...@stevepeterson.com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 6, 2016 at 7:45 AM -0600, "Andrew Lindberg" <andrewgeorgelindberg@gmail.com> wrote:

I would like more info on the EAA.

Also I use SW for work and could give anyone one on one instructions for assembly, parts, and layout drawings.

Andy

Patrick Raines

Dec 26, 2016, 8:16:28 AM12/26/16
to tcmaker
Thanks for all the resources! 3D printing and design is a crazy world that I have been teaching myself for 2 years now and it frequently feels like I am reinventing wheel: working out solutions to problems that all ready have established solutions but I am too much of an outsider to know the established solution. So your advice helps a lot.
 I got all the paperwork completed to take MDES 1110 at Dunwoody College in the spring semester and Boston Scientific is going to pay for every penny! (eventually... if I get  a C or Higher in the course they reimburse me for every penny)