GSoC 2016

Vikas Mishra

Feb 10, 2016, 8:15:23 PM2/10/16
to tatoeba
Hi everyone,

I'm an undergraduate student from BITS Pilani, Goa Campus, India and an active open source contributor. I am a core-contributor at Mozilla's automation team and have been contributing there for more than 2 years. I have previously participated in Google Summer of Code in 2014 and would love to contribute to Tatoeba this time.

I have gone through the project descriptions and found some of them very exciting to work on namely, Pytoeba and 'Improvement of Communication tools'. After reading other threads on the group I believe that there is hardly any description present for this but I would love to talk to the previous contributor and familiarize myself with the current status of the project. My previous GSoC project was also based on Django  when I contributed to OSGeo thus I have a fair share of experience in Django.

Working on Improvement of Communication tools also looks equally exciting and would love to have a discussion with the proposed mentor about the details of the project.

Also please point me to some issues for starters to familiarize myself with Tatoeba.

Thanks and Cheers :)

Gilles Bedel

Feb 10, 2016, 9:11:39 PM2/10/16
to tatoeba...@googlegroups.com
Hello Vikas,

Welcome aboard. :-)

> I have gone through the project descriptions and found some of them
> very exciting to work on namely, Pytoeba and 'Improvement of
> Communication tools'. After reading other threads on the group I
> believe that there is hardly any description present for this but I
> would love to talk to the previous contributor and familiarize myself
> with the current status of the project.

You may reach lool0 IRC or XMPP on if you want to talk with him about
Pytoeba. Also, if you haven’t yet, have a look at these articles:

http://en.wiki.tatoeba.org/articles/show/gsoc_application_requirements
http://en.wiki.tatoeba.org/articles/show/guide-for-new-developers

> Working on Improvement of Communication tools also looks equally
> exciting and would love to have a discussion with the proposed mentor
> about the details of the project.

Basically all the possible mentors for projects other than Pytoeba are
me and Trang. Actually, all the ideas listed in the ideas page are
merely ideas, not well-defined projects. Nobody knows the “details of
the project” yet. We expect students to learn more about Tatoeba, to
investigate the ideas by asking us questions, so that we can identify
the problems more clearly and come up with precise solutions, or even
different solutions from what’s suggested on the ideas page. And by
“us”, I mean the developers on IRC/XMPP and the community on the
website, on the Wall or by PM. For instance, recently pullnosemans has
been talking on the Wall about the uselessness of discussions on the
Wall and that we need a better system to organize and decide upon what
to do. I’m sure he’d have a lot to say to you about that if you ask
him, and maybe that idea could evolve into a bigger project. I’ll be on
IRC tomorrow evening (GMT+1).

> Also please point me to some issues for starters to familiarize
> myself with Tatoeba.

Look for issues tagged as effort:low on our Github issues tracker.

— gillux