Reference genome and the number of SNPs

Sigal Popovsky

Sep 9, 2017, 6:10:11 PM9/9/17
to TASSEL - Trait Analysis by Association, Evolution and Linkage
In my GBS project we seek to find SNPs on F2 segregate population.
This population was generated from an intra-specific cross between two species of pepper: Capsicum annuum X Capsicum chinense.

So-far, our pipline in Tassel resulted with 37,000 SNPs when we used the C.Annuum as a reference genome, while 55,000 SNPs were produced when we used the C.chinense genome as a reference.

Does the reference genome we are using should has an effect on the amount of SNPs we receiving?

Edward S. Buckler

Sep 10, 2017, 2:57:35 PM9/10/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yes.  The quality of the reference could have a large effect like you are seeing here.  I would recommend using the better quality genome as the reference.

We are building pan genome haplotypes graph that deal with this, and allow both genomes to be used as reference, but it is not ready for the public consumption yet.  Sorry.

Cheers-
Ed

Sigal Popovsky

Sep 11, 2017, 3:21:53 AM9/11/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
OK, Thank you.
Indeed it will be great to mapp with two genomes reference.

Following my question I would also like to ask:
1.Is it possible that the genotype of the plants in the same SNP in the same location, can be different in different genome reference?
2. .Is it possible that the genotype of the plants in the same SNP in different location will be different in different genome reference?

Thanks a bunch
Sigal

On Sep 9, 2017, at 6:09 PM, Sigal Popovsky <sigal...@gmail.com> wrote:

In my GBS project we seek to find SNPs on F2 segregate population.
This population was generated from an intra-specific cross between two species of pepper: Capsicum annuum X Capsicum chinense.

So-far, our pipline in Tassel resulted with 37,000 SNPs when we used the C.Annuum as a reference genome, while 55,000 SNPs were produced when we used the C.chinense genome as a reference.

Does the reference genome we are using should has an effect on the amount of SNPs we receiving?

Sigal Popovsky-Sarid, PhD
Dr. Paran Lab
Institute of Plant Sciences
ARO, the Volcani Center, Israel
Email: sigal...@gmail.com

Marlee Labroo

Sep 12, 2017, 10:27:52 PM9/12/17
to TASSEL - Trait Analysis by Association, Evolution and Linkage
Hi Sigal,

I think you're asking whether the chosen reference genome will influence whether a site is called as a SNP in your test individuals. The answer is yes; if an individual is more related to the reference genome, fewer SNPs will of course be present and called. In contrast, if an individual is less related to the reference genome, more SNPs will be present and called.

To me it seems like a SNP should always be in approximately the same location, and I don't understand that aspect of your question. Hope this helps, sorry if I misunderstood!

Marlee

On Monday, September 11, 2017 at 3:21:53 PM UTC+8, Sigal Popovsky wrote:
[...]

Sigal Popovsky

Sep 14, 2017, 4:24:50 AM9/14/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
As I understand, the SNP's location is determain according to its allighment to the ref. genome, not necessarilly with full identity.
If that correct. I'll expect different numbers of SNPs in different ref.genome. (I think it match Ed's answer).

At the other hand, as I understand, the SNP's genotype (for each plant) is set only according to the comparison between the TAGs that "sticked" to the same location in the ref.genome.
Meaning:  without considering the sequence of the ref.genome at that point of the analysis.

Is that  is the case?
Sigal