Error with TagstoSNPByAlignmentPlugin- String index out of range:113

Bill Holdsworth

Feb 25, 2014, 2:42:43 PM2/25/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeff,

I'm experiencing an error in the TASSEL SNP Discovery Pipeline that I don't see documented on the online forum.

I'm at the step where the TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin should output hapmap files for each chromosome. At chr:405, I get the following error message:

 Exception in thread "Thread-0" java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: 113
    at java.lang.AbstractStringBuilder.substring(AbstractStringBuilder.java:870)
    at java.lang.StringBuilder.substring(StringBuilder.java:72)
    at net.maizegenetics.gbs.pipeline.TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin.addRefTag(TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin.java:748)
    at net.maizegenetics.gbs.pipeline.TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin.addSitesToMutableAlignment(TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin.java:399)
    at net.maizegenetics.gbs.pipeline.TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin.runTagsToSNPByAlignment(TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin.java:348)
    at net.maizegenetics.gbs.pipeline.TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin.performFunction(TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin.java:96)
    at net.maizegenetics.plugindef.AbstractPlugin.dataSetReturned(AbstractPlugin.java:201)
    at net.maizegenetics.plugindef.ThreadedPluginListener.run(ThreadedPluginListener.java:29)

I've run it a few times now, and it always stops at the same point. I don't see any obvious errors with either of the input files (topm or MergedTagsbyTaxa). The reason that the chromosome number is so high is that the genome is in scaffolds right now rather than chromosomes. But that shouldn't make any difference, should it? Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks!
Bill

Terry Casstevens

Feb 25, 2014, 7:41:39 PM2/25/14
to Tassel User Group
Hi Bill,

Can you send me the command you are running? Which version of Tassel
are you using?

Terry

Bill Holdsworth

Feb 26, 2014, 8:38:07 AM2/26/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Terry,

The command is: /programs/tassel/run_pipeline.pl -fork1 -TagsToSNPByAlignmentPlugin -i mergedTBT/SquashBgene.tbt.byte -y -m topm/AllSquashMasterTags.topm -mUpd topm/AllSquashMasterTags_updated.topm -Xmx12g -o hapmap/Squash_scaffold+.hmp.txt -mnMAF 0.25 -mnMAC 800 -ref zucchini_genome-0.1_TASSEL_format.fasta -mnLCov .25 -sC 1 -eC 1000 -endPlugin -runfork1

I'm actually not sure which version I'm using. I'm using a cbsu workstation (cbsum1c2b002)-->/programs/tassel/ I don't see any documentation in the directory or in the scripts to indicate which version it is. I would assume v3?

Thanks for your help!
Bill

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "TASSEL - Trait Analysis by Association, Evolution and Linkage" group.

Bill Holdsworth
PhD Candidate
Plant Breeding and Genetics
Cornell University
253 Emerson Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853

Terry Casstevens

Feb 26, 2014, 11:34:43 PM2/26/14
to Tassel User Group
We may need Jeff's help when he returns from vacation.

Just guessing... Do you know if that tag on chr. 405 is in the reference file?
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/tassel/CAP3CWTw6v_nKY9Hu%2BQJgQcb%3D%2BTt1HU8YNDeQr4ddMemah%2BYYCA%40mail.gmail.com.

Jeff Glaubitz

Mar 4, 2014, 1:56:17 PM3/4/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bill,

My best guess is that the tag locus on chr405 that the function addRefTag() is trying to obtain the reference genome tag for falls off of the end of the contig. You could fix this by padding either end of the contig with 100 A's. Either that, or omit the -ref option.

Best,

Jeff

--
Jeff Glaubitz
Project Manager

Bill Holdsworth

Mar 4, 2014, 2:15:43 PM3/4/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
That seemed to be the problem. No error anymore. Thanks, Jeff!