Renaming Plugins

jo...@boshdirect.com

Jan 24, 2016, 1:14:04 PM1/24/16
to Tasker - Developers
Is there a recommended method for renaming plugins? I developed SharpTools, which is a set of widgets and Tasker plugins for the SmartThings home automation platform.

SmartThings has renamed one of their features from "Phrases" to "Routines" and I'd like to rename my plugin accordingly, but I understand that this will cause issues for users who already have my `A Phrase` plugin setup.

I could simply create a new 'A Routine` plugin which would help the new users, but it would also result in multiple items being shown in Tasker that ultimately map to the same code/feature.

Tasker identifies a plugin by the label of its edit activity, not the package name. That means that if you have several package names (beta, trial, release, pro etc) the plugin should continue working when the user changes, as long as the edit activity label doesn't change.

It seems this has been discussed a few times, but wasn't a priority at the time. Are there any workarounds for this behavior now?

Crafty Apps Support

Jan 25, 2016, 9:34:32 AM1/25/16
to task...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I took some steps towards migrating away from the label
a while back but can't remember how far I got.

I would just try it first in a test environment to see what
happens. If references to the old label are left hanging,
I think the duplication, is the only way forward.
Probably with the old label edit activity existing immediately
with a warning toast, and after a long while dump the old one.

Sorry not to be more helpful,

Pent