Strange Issue with name of action plugin

Peter Unold

Feb 28, 2016, 6:05:53 PM2/28/16
to Tasker - Developers
I'm having a strange issue with a plugin I've written. The plugin contains two actions "Spreadsheet Query" and "Spreadsheet Update".

Users have reported that when they're using Lightning Launcher, then they see these tthe following wo actions when selecting the plugin: "Spreadsheet Query" and "Lightning Variable".

I checked my AndroidManifest.xml and it looks fine.

I tried renaming "Spreadsheet Update" to ""Spreadsheet Update2" and now it shows up correctly.

I then removed "Spreadsheet Query" so that the plugin only contains "Spreadsheet Update". Now when selecting the plugin, one is taken directly to the config of "Lightning Variable".

I'm rather puzzled by this issue. Am I somehow having a naming conflict with the Lightning Launcher or what could it be?

I could rename my action but I'd hate breaking all existing scripts. Any suggestions?

Pent

Feb 29, 2016, 3:23:55 AM2/29/16
to Tasker - Developers

I'm having a strange issue with a plugin I've written. The plugin contains two actions "Spreadsheet Query" and "Spreadsheet Update".

Users have reported that when they're using Lightning Launcher, then they see these tthe following wo actions when selecting the plugin: "Spreadsheet Query" and "Lightning Variable".

There are two problems here, one that Tasker is using the plugin label as an identifier rather than the package name, the
second that I chose a spectacularly poor checksum function so that 'Spreadsheet Query' and 'Lightning Variable' map
to the same ID.

Both are difficult to get out of these days without breaking things. I can hard-code an ID for your name, but will
need to take steps so that any existing actions/events/states which are using the old name which users
have still function. Could you send me (Reply To Author) a copy of your APK (with the original names) ?

Pent

Peter Unold

Feb 29, 2016, 4:33:56 AM2/29/16
to Tasker - Developers
Thank you for your quick reply. I have responded privately with the requested information.

/Peter

John Doe

Feb 29, 2016, 1:15:37 PM2/29/16
to Tasker - Developers
This kind of problems are not so hard to hit. I recently receive complains because one of my action clash with another plugin. I know, it's difficult to solve problem now but I think you need to do something. Maybe you could do a Tasker 5.0 with the management based on package name.

Pent

Mar 1, 2016, 9:15:29 AM3/1/16
to Tasker - Developers

This kind of problems are not so hard to hit. I recently receive complains because one of my action clash with another plugin. I know, it's difficult to solve problem now but I think you need to do something. Maybe you could do a Tasker 5.0 with the management based on package name.

I think I thought of a way to do a migration to using package name without too much work and keeping
backwards compat, will keep you informed.

Pent

John Doe

Mar 3, 2016, 12:57:26 PM3/3/16
to Tasker - Developers

Another big problem with the current implementation is the translation of any action. Since you are using the label name, if I share a profile where there is a plugin action translated in french for example to another user that uses english, the plugin is not found even if it's installed. So please use only package name and activity name but not label. Thanks.

Pent

Mar 3, 2016, 3:19:39 PM3/3/16
to Tasker - Developers
> So please use only package name and activity name but not label. Thanks.

Yes, that's what I'm working towards. Will put out a test APK in a few days.

Pent

Pent

Mar 11, 2016, 2:56:12 AM3/11/16
to Tasker - Developers