Android Oreo - No implicit intents

Jeremy Kane

Mar 17, 2018, 10:51:43 PM3/17/18
to Tasker - Developers
Finally (now that Android P is looming on the horizon) getting around to supporting Android Oreo in my apps. When it comes to BroadcastReceivers, now that implicit receivers are no-nos, what's the plan for apps that want to target API 26+? I've tried programmatically registering a receiver, but I presume other apps aren't given permission to interact with such receivers. Either that, or I've done something wrong.

Should I expect something registered thusly to work?

IntentFilter filter = new IntentFilter();
filter.addAction("com.twofortyfouram.locale.intent.action.FIRE_SETTING");
context.registerReceiver(new TaskerReceiver(), filter);

Thanks!

João Dias

Mar 19, 2018, 7:10:09 AM3/19/18
to task...@googlegroups.com
I took a look at the code and Tasker still targets plugins explicitly, so there should be no issues :) It looks for the receiver via the intent action and then targets the receiver explicitly.

I'm also preparing for a plugin protocol revamp where IntentServices are used everywhere instead of BroadcastReceivers. Did a few tests and seems promising! Should solve all the delay issues some people keep having.