Can't send variables to Tasker anymore

Patrik Åkerfeldt

Dec 21, 2016, 10:04:00 AM12/21/16
to Tasker - Developers
Hi,

Users of my app have started reporting not being able to update variables in Tasker from my app. According to one user, this started happen with the 4.9 update in Tasker but I haven't been able to confirm that.

The following message is shown when my app tries to export variables:

"Broadcast Error
Failed to execute broadcast Task."

When I try this myself today, I don't see this message but variables does not propagate into Tasker either.
Has anything regarding this changed lately? My app hasn't been updated for month's.

Thank you,
pa

Pent

Dec 21, 2016, 11:14:16 AM12/21/16
to Tasker - Developers
I think a couple of people mentioned this on the Tasker forum a while back and
I pointed them at you since I hadn't updated Tasker for 6 months until
yesterday.

If you can post or send me a Tasker log I can maybe say something more
about the failure cause:

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/faqs/faq-how.html#x2

Pent

Patrik Åkerfeldt

Dec 21, 2016, 2:08:21 PM12/21/16
to Tasker - Developers
I've sent a log to orders@ (since that was the only mail listed under Menu/Info/Support).

I found some references to the variables in question so maybe there is something in there that would help us.

Thanks,

Patrik Åkerfeldt

Dec 21, 2016, 3:08:57 PM12/21/16
to Tasker - Developers
These two lines seems suspicious:

21-12-2016 M: 21.08.46#M: task SET_VARS doesn't exist, read actions from intent
21-12-2016 BroadcastDecode: 21.08.46#BroadcastDecode: error: missing arg no arg:5 for action Variable Set

Pent

Dec 22, 2016, 2:46:44 AM12/22/16
to Tasker - Developers
Ah yes, I added a parameter to the Variable Set action.

The third parameter is now 'recurse variables':

name, value,recurse_value, do_maths, append

That's another reason using the plugin interface is better.

Pent

Patrik Åkerfeldt

Dec 22, 2016, 3:07:10 AM12/22/16
to Tasker - Developers
Thank you!

Yeah, the Tasker support in my app is pretty old. So the short term solution for me is to add a fifth argument (at position 3). Long term I should have a look at the plugin interface.

Crafty Apps Support

Dec 22, 2016, 3:18:13 AM12/22/16
to task...@googlegroups.com

Thank you!

Yeah, the Tasker support in my app is pretty old. So the short term solution for me is to add a fifth argument (at position 3). Long term I should have a look at the plugin interface.

That way your app can also be used with many other automation apps, if you need
some more motivation :-)

Pent
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Tasker - Developers" group.

Patrik Åkerfeldt

Dec 22, 2016, 3:34:20 AM12/22/16
to task...@googlegroups.com
Wait, you're telling me there are other automation apps? I don't understand... :)

Pent

Dec 22, 2016, 3:38:25 AM12/22/16
to Tasker - Developers

Wait, you're telling me there are other automation apps? I don't understand... :)

Rats, should have made you sign an NDA before telling you that, don't spread
the word, huh ?

Pent

Patrik Åkerfeldt

Dec 22, 2016, 4:37:32 AM12/22/16
to task...@googlegroups.com
I will be open here and say that I'm not actively using Tasker myself. All the reports I've gotten so far witness the same thing. This broadcast error toast from Tasker. However, when I try to reproduce this problem I get no error toast at all. Variables do not propagate into Tasker. I have enabled "Allow external access" in Misc preferences. The VARS tab shows only my variable because I reference it in a Task. But the value is void. Is there anything else that's needed? I output this log.txt but can't see any indications of incoming variables. I just want a way to verify my fix.

Patrik Åkerfeldt

Dec 22, 2016, 4:59:40 AM12/22/16
to task...@googlegroups.com
False alarm. I was probably a bit too trigger happy. Seems to work fine now. Thanks for the help Pent!

Pent

Dec 28, 2016, 5:29:36 AM12/28/16
to Tasker - Developers
For other readers of this thread: 4.9u2 includes an auto-fill-in for the
new parameter when an external app passes a Variable Set action,
since there seem to be an awful lot of apps doing this.

Pent

mbfin...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 9:30:28 AM1/13/17
to Tasker - Developers
Pent,
As a tasker user, will that update eliminate the warning about the broadcast error? Otherwise can you suggest how to determine what other app or apps send the variable set command to Tasker? I tried removing one that I knew prompts to turn the external access setting on, and checking to see if the toast would stop appearing, but it wasn't that app. I'm hoping there's an easier way than trial and error considering how many apps I have on my device.

Thank you.

mbfin...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 9:48:00 AM1/13/17
to Tasker - Developers, mbfin...@gmail.com
*Edit*
Never mind. I updated to latest version, 4.9u3, and the toast is gone. Thank you for adjusting for it on your end (if the broadcast error message were able to identify the culprit app, I definitely would have contacted that developer to inform them to update their app, or create a plugin instead).