Run Task After Tasker Crash Or Phone Restart?

My-kl

Sep 22, 2016, 3:12:17 PM9/22/16
to Tasker
Tasker crashes occasionally (every couple of days?). I've uninstalled it and deleted all the files before reinstalling it but it had no effect.
Can you wonderful people please:
1) tell me how to stop it crashing?
2) tell me how to run a task when Tasker starts up after a crash and also after a phone reboot.

(Rooted stock 5.1.1 on S5 Neo)

Pent

Sep 23, 2016, 3:02:44 AM9/23/16
to Tasker

1) tell me how to stop it crashing?

What's in crash.txt in the Tasker directory after the crash ?

2) tell me how to run a task when Tasker starts up after a crash and also after a phone reboot.

Use the Monitor Start event.

Pent

My-kl

Sep 24, 2016, 11:12:55 AM9/24/16
to Tasker
1) I can't find crash.txt! I turned on 'show hidden files', went to storage>tasker and went through every folder inside but can't find it. What am I doing wrong?

Pent

Sep 24, 2016, 12:04:21 PM9/24/16
to Tasker
Sure it's Tasker crashing ?

If so, is it the 'has crashed' or 'has been terminated' style message ?

Pent

My-kl

Sep 24, 2016, 1:10:56 PM9/24/16
to Tasker
Oh dear, I don't know. There are three scenarios:

a) when I wake the screen I can't do anything else and the Reliable Alarms clock is still at the top of the screen, then the clock goes after a few seconds and the phone starts working again;
b) the phone doesn't respond after waking the screen, and then a pop up with something like 'Tasker is not responding would you like to wait?' appears with two options;
c) something has happened while I wasn't using the phone. I have an icon displayed in a scene, this icon tells me what set of sound/display settings is selected. If that icon is not there it seems to mean that one of the above has happened.

I probably don't know what 'crash' means officially, maybe that's the wrong word, but something is happening that shouldn't happen.

Pent

Sep 25, 2016, 3:08:11 AM9/25/16
to Tasker
a) when I wake the screen I can't do anything else and the Reliable Alarms clock is still at the top of the screen, then the clock goes after a few seconds and the phone starts working again;

Not necessarily a Tasker problem, could be the device is doing something else on wakeup before it gets round to telling
Tasker that the device has woken up.

b) the phone doesn't respond after waking the screen, and then a pop up with something like 'Tasker is not responding would you like to wait?' appears with two options;

Again, could be slowness caused by something else.

I probably don't know what 'crash' means officially, maybe that's the wrong word, but something is happening that shouldn't happen.

What you are describing are not crashes, hence no crash.txt.

Maybe check you have plenty of storage space free.

Pent

My-kl

Sep 25, 2016, 7:38:38 AM9/25/16
to Tasker
1)Storage is nearly half empty

My-kl

Sep 27, 2016, 1:14:42 PM9/27/16
to Tasker
I'm trying to use Monitor Start for one of these occasions when something causes Tasker to restart. The trouble is, it gets stuck trying to Set Element Image. This part never causes a problem under any other circumstance. If I tap the play button in Tasker it works, it's only when Tasker restarts that it gets stuck.

My-kl

Sep 28, 2016, 6:46:37 PM9/28/16
to Tasker
I've done some more experimenting, it seems changing Element Image doesn't work when triggered by Monitor Start.

Pent

Sep 29, 2016, 2:46:40 AM9/29/16
to Tasker

I've done some more experimenting, it seems changing Element Image doesn't work when triggered by Monitor Start.

Your task has a Show Scene then an Element Image ?

What are you showing the scene as ? Activity ?

Pent

My-kl

Sep 29, 2016, 9:00:57 AM9/29/16
to Tasker
>>>Your task has a Show Scene then an Element Image ?

Yes, the scene is already shown because of some other command.

>>>What are you showing the scene as ? Activity ?

Overlay, blocking.

Pent

Sep 29, 2016, 11:25:09 AM9/29/16
to Tasker

>>>Your task has a Show Scene then an Element Image ?

Yes, the scene is already shown because of some other command.

You mean before the restart it was already showing and keeps visible afterwards ?

Pent

My-kl

Sep 29, 2016, 3:17:34 PM9/29/16
to Tasker
Sorry, forget that.
I'm trying to change an image in two scenes. Clock scene will already be visible by the time Tasker tries to change the image, this works fine. Menu scene is not visible (it's hidden most of the time) and this image won't change. Changing this menu scene image is in the middle of a long list of tasks so it just stops at this step and doesn't do the remaining steps.