Need a Solution / Location Services On and Off / Auto on App and Shut off at night.

Paul

Feb 27, 2015, 8:05:27 PM2/27/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I purchased Tasker a looonngg time ago, and I had managed at one point to have a mess around with it, managed to get GPS to turn on when I loaded up Google Maps, but it was a long time ago, now I've had a memory block, and i can't seem to get anything working how I believed it worked (unless the app has updated since I last used it) so I have turned to here for some help, just until I get my head back around it again.

My cell phone, for some reason, when location services or turned on it really kills my battery, and really, there is only one app that uses it, then I forget to turn it off, before I know it, battery is nearly dead when I realize to turn it off.

What I would like, should I run the app, the location services turns on, should I end the app, the location services turns off, now, should the app go into the background, I would like to have a extra thing that says if it's after midnight (generally when I'm sleeping), it also turns it off, ready for the next morning when I unplug my phone it is not activated and my battery won't drain as quick.

I've looked around online for various help files and documents, but I always seem to get stuck, so I figured I'd turn to people who have actually achieved what I would like to achieve.

Can anybody help me please?

Robert Ryan

Feb 28, 2015, 1:25:32 AM2/28/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
What version of Android do you have? Are you rooted?

In Android versions later than 4.2, the ability for apps to directly manipulate the GPS setting without root was disallowed.

One workaround would be to use the Autoinput plug-in to enable/disable GPS as needed. Autoinput costs around $1.63 last I checked.

Dale Smith

Feb 28, 2015, 7:55:08 AM2/28/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I concur. I have a Google Maps Tasker project that with two profiles, three tasks, and AutoInput does just what your asking for.

Paul

Feb 28, 2015, 1:22:58 PM2/28/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, maybe i didn't explain myself well enough, it's not the GPS I want to turn off and on, it's the 'Location Services' I'm needed to turn off at the end of the night if i forget, its under Settings / More / Location Services / Acceess to my location [OFF / ON]

I am on a rooted phone, and i'm on 4.2.2

anon ymous

Mar 1, 2015, 4:17:42 AM3/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I haven't tried it myself, but with root and the secure settings plugin with system+ turned on, there is an action to set the location mode specifically to off/high/batt save/device.