crew sms help. Thanks.

zeez...@gmail.com

Nov 17, 2015, 5:56:26 AM11/17/15
to Tasker
Ok yes I am a newbie but I am trying.

Please can some one help me. Please forgive me if i am really silly.

I am trying to push a button and send my text to my gals they can go on break. I normally have a team of 4 so I just want to read my txt file with their numbers and send them all an sms. I am not  worried if it reads each message and then sends different texts sms. The teams are a good girls and work hard around the wards. So I don't want to waste any of their time and give them as much time as possible off.

I have a text box and write my teams numbers in it then press button icon of a phone
Write File [ Numbers/Shift To text Var:%Phone Append Add Newline]

I then well I press my snack icon and they can go on break. I adapted this but i don't know what I have done wrong.

Read File [ File:Numbers/Shift.txt To Var:%Phone ]
Variable Split [ Name:%Phone Splitter:, Delete Base:Off ]
For [ Variable:%thisnum Items:1:%Phone(#) ]
Send SMS [ Number:%Phone(%thisnum) Message: Break Time! Go on break!
Fully automated Store In Messaging App:Off ]
End For

Thanks again Z

Rich D

Nov 17, 2015, 6:14:45 AM11/17/15
to Tasker Google Groups Post

> Please can some one help me. Please forgive me if i am really silly.

It is always best to post the exported profile description.

To post your profile or task here...  Long press on the profile or task name / ( 3 dot menu with 4.0+ ) export / export "DESCRIPTION" to clipboard (not XML)

Any linked tasks will be exported with the profile they are linked to..

To be able to export, The beginner mode needs to be off and the profile needs to be named by you (Not the Tasker listed name.  Tasker will list your profile with the context name if you have not given it one).

One issue..

> I have a text box and write my teams numbers in it then press button icon of a phone
> Write File [ Numbers/Shift To text Var:%Phone Append Add Newline]

> I then well I press my snack icon and they can go on break. I adapted this but i don't know what I have done wrong.

You need to set a variable to a line feed to use as a splitter of %Phone

Variable set %ret TO: (then type a actual return in the  field)

Zee Zands

Nov 29, 2015, 10:43:23 AM11/29/15
to Tasker
I thought it would so much easier if around the hospital we could block send sms to each other instead of sending about 10 stop wasting about 10mins of our breaks and relax.  Sms and then sharing locations lol.
Just here I am and also thought I could say 'hey guys Im here!' as well and send my location.

A1: Read File [ File:NumbersT/ShiftTeam To Var:%Phone]
A2: Variable Split [ Name:%Phone Splitter:, Delete Base:Off ]
A3: Send SMS [ Number:%Phone Message:Break Time! Go on Break! Store In Messaging App:Off ]
A4: For [ Variable:%thisnum Items:1:%Smsalert(#) ]
A5: Send SMS [ Number:%Phone(%thisnum) Message:Break Time! Go on Break!  Store In Messaging App:Off Continue Task After Error:On ]
A6: End For
A7: Flash [ Text:You sent it! Long:Off ]

so did you mean:
A2: Variable set %ret TO (RETURN) and then time append?

Thank you rich

Rich D

Nov 29, 2015, 10:32:20 PM11/29/15
to Tasker Google Groups Post

I have edited the task to what should work. You may need a wait action in the for loop to give the message app time to send each message.  If it only sends the first one then add a wait action to the for loop. Start with a long wait like 30 seconds to see if it works as expected, then reduce the time and retest until you find the minimum.

> A1: Read File [ File:NumbersT/ShiftTeam To Var:%Phone]

//  Variable set %ret TO (RETURN) and then time append?

// A2: Variable Split [ Name:%Phone Splitter:%ret  Delete Base:Off ]

// A4: For [ Variable:%thisnum Items:1:%Phone(#) ]

> A5: Send SMS [ Number:%Phone(%thisnum) Message:Break Time! Go on Break!  Store In Messaging App:Off Continue Task After Error:On ]
> A6: End For
> A7: Flash [ Text:You sent it! Long:Off ]

assuming your file data looks like this

First number
Second number
Third number
Fourth number

The action A3 will not work if there are more then one number in the file as %Phone will still contain the entire contents of the file. You do not need A3

If it still will not work as expected, check the run log. (Menu/ more / run log). If you are still stuck post back with your new task export and the relevant part of the run log.