Simplify importing single tasks.

C S

May 26, 2018, 7:04:31 PM5/26/18
to Tasker
There are two ways to import backup files into Tasker. The one that is easiest to find is top right, data, import, but this will over write all your profile and tasks, If you want to just import one you have to long press on Tasks and then import.

There should only be one way to import data into Tasker, with an option to overwrite or add the data. Ideally, top right, data, import, then over write or add. Over write would give us a orange warning box.

Robert Ryan

May 26, 2018, 7:54:44 PM5/26/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com

On May 26, 2018 5:04:35 PM C S <cshe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are two ways to import backup files into Tasker.

There are actually five import options, e.g. project, profile, task, scene or entire configuration. There is also the Import Data action.

> There should only be one way to import data into Tasker

This would require a major rewrite of the code for very little benefit.

I do think, however, that the User's Guide needs to have a section added that explains import and export. If it is already there, I couldn't find it.

João Dias

May 28, 2018, 7:28:23 AM5/28/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Robert Ryan

May 28, 2018, 3:28:06 PM5/28/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com

On May 28, 2018 5:28:08 AM João Dias <joao...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I feel like this is the best guide for that:

That's a pretty good guide on importing. Some things I would add are:

1) The folders for tasks, projects, ect. are not generated when Tasker is first installed, so the user may have to create them.

2) The procedure for importing a project is somewhat different. This is not covered in the linked article.

3) A section in the User's Guide illustrating the various export options is still needed.

4) In fact, there is no explanation in the User's Guide for many of the overflow menu items.

João Dias

May 29, 2018, 5:29:01 AM5/29/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Robert... I see I have much to work on :P

Richard Wallace

May 30, 2018, 5:20:58 AM5/30/18
to Tasker
There's just no pleasing some folk....