Android 7.0 split screen

Michael Ruotolo

Aug 26, 2016, 9:45:57 PM8/26/16
to Tasker
I have a task that opens up music app and gps. I now that Android 7 has split screen can i have tasker open both apps split screen?
Thanks
Mike

Pent

Aug 27, 2016, 5:00:34 AM8/27/16
to Tasker
I will look into it, waiting for the update for my wife's phone :-)

Pent

Michael Ruotolo

Aug 28, 2016, 10:27:25 PM8/28/16
to Tasker
Any update on this?

Scott Almond

Aug 30, 2016, 11:58:41 AM8/30/16
to Tasker
Give him time man.

On Monday, 29 August 2016 03:27:25 UTC+1, Michael Ruotolo wrote:
Any update on this?

Pent

Aug 31, 2016, 6:11:20 AM8/31/16
to Tasker
Wife has no update so I have no update. Rather than keep asking,
wait for an update :-)

Pent

Rich D

Aug 31, 2016, 6:51:58 AM8/31/16
to Tasker Google Groups Post

> I will look into it, waiting for the update for my wife's phone :-)

You are a brave man using the wife's phone for development. Especially after a major android update. I would fear the inevitable 'What did you do to my phone... It did not do this before "YOU" touched it... Why is it doing that????  The price of a additional device might not look to bad......   :)

Pent

Sep 1, 2016, 4:18:55 AM9/1/16
to Tasker
I wouldn't mind buying a new device, but if I buy one now I've already lost a year of updates
in the future (latest device getting N is about a year old I believe, Google has fixed update limits
now).

Pent

John Doe

Sep 14, 2016, 3:29:12 AM9/14/16
to Tasker
You can use the action in TouchTask plugin to control the split mode. To start an app in split mode you can use this task: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B54blAHdXRJ6U09oYW1RMF9ZRnM You can call it with a perform task, %par1 app name (better lowercase), %par2 set to true if you want to start it in split mode.

Roberto Cocchiararo

Sep 15, 2016, 11:46:59 AM9/15/16
to Tasker
i made a profile to long press in the spot where the multitask button is, but i ended up removing it, since it would not work with the screen turned off, like the rest of the task.

If there is a way to do it, without simulating the long press, it will tock.

Pent

Sep 15, 2016, 12:10:29 PM9/15/16
to Tasker
I saw somewhere mentioned that the N6 update is going to be at least a couple
of weeks still, unfortunately :-(

Pent

Michael Ruotolo

Sep 15, 2016, 12:13:26 PM9/15/16
to Tasker
What did John Doe post?

John Doe

Oct 8, 2016, 2:56:29 AM10/8/16
to Tasker
What? The solution? I though you wanted to do something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xghSJjXyLKI

What did John Doe post?

Pent

Nov 5, 2016, 6:39:27 AM11/5/16
to Tasker
JD,

You can use the action in TouchTask plugin to control the split mode. To start an app in split mode you can use this task: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B54blAHdXRJ6U09oYW1RMF9ZRnM You can call it with a perform task, %par1 app name (better lowercase), %par2 set to true if you want to start it in split mode.

As far as I can tell from messing around on 7.0, apps will always be started in split mode if it's enabled,
whether the intent flag is set or not.

And if split mode is not enabled, the flag has no effect. And apps have no control over split mode.

So adding a Tasker option would not bring anything.

Am I missing anything ?

Pent

Pent

Nov 6, 2016, 3:31:41 AM11/6/16
to Tasker
D'oh, I already added an action to the in-development version to toggle split screen a couple of months ago...

Pent

Pent

Nov 6, 2016, 5:00:35 AM11/6/16
to Tasker
JD, any idea how to detect current split screen mode state (enabled or not)
when not being one of the apps that is split ?

Pent

Pent

Nov 6, 2016, 5:08:23 AM11/6/16
to Tasker
Question for the original poster: can you *manually* put both
apps into split screen mode ?

Pent

John Doe

Nov 7, 2016, 2:46:00 AM11/7/16
to Tasker
No, I don't know. I didn't look at it.

Pent

Nov 13, 2016, 4:02:43 AM11/13/16
to Tasker
OK, to close off this subject:

- there's apparently no way for Tasker to know if split screen mode is already enabled
- the app launch flag has no effect when split screen mode is not already enabled
and when it is enabled all apps are launched into split screen anyway

So, to answer the OP's question, there is an action to toggle split screen in the next version, so if you know
that split screen mode will be off when it runs, you can make a task which launches an app and then toggles split
screen mode.

Pent

John Doe

Nov 27, 2016, 7:25:00 AM11/27/16
to Tasker
According to the official docs:

When you launch a new activity, you can **hint** to the system that the new activity should be displayed adjacent to the current one, if possible. To do this, use the intent flag FLAG_ACTIVITY_LAUNCH_ADJACENT. Passing this flag requests the following behavior:

  • If the device is in split-screen mode, the system attempts to create the new activity next to the activity that launched it, so the two activities share the screen. The system is not guaranteed to be able to do this, but it makes the activities adjacent if possible.
  • If the device is not in split-screen mode, this flag has no effect.
So, without the flag the behavior is maybe what we want, but we the flag we request explicitly to have another window. Ok, the system could ignore this request, however if you don't use the flag, you can't give this hint the system.

Pent

Nov 27, 2016, 8:20:16 AM11/27/16
to Tasker
Does anyone reading this have a device where apps are not launched
adjacent when Split Screen mode is enabled ?

I have only tested it on the N6, where that always happens.

Pent

John Doe

Nov 27, 2016, 8:37:17 AM11/27/16
to Tasker
Since it's an "hint" it's quite hard to make an hypothesis "it will work always" or not. IMHO, the flag should be managed.

Pent

Nov 27, 2016, 12:40:09 PM11/27/16
to Tasker

Since it's an "hint" it's quite hard to make an hypothesis "it will work always" or not. IMHO, the flag should be managed.

If there isn't a single report of a situation where the flag might have had some effect, I'm reluctant to put an extra unneeded option to the Launch App action.

Pent