I have a Droid Maxx and can't set up some simple tasker programs

Dale Weingartner

May 8, 2014, 12:35:54 PM5/8/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have tried following YouTube presentations, but still my tasker doesn't work properly. Also, the only way I can save something is by using the dropdown window and clicking on Exit, then it asks to save it.  I have not found a Save button.  Also the video button locations for Tasker are not where they are on my phone.

I would like to set up two profiles: first that when I enter my house with wifi already available, I want my phone to shut off bluetooth, connect to my wifi, and then shut off wifi when I leave.

The second is that when I enter my car with a bluetooth device that automatically goes on from the sound of the car door opening/shutting, then wifi will turn off and bluetooth will turn on. when I leave the car, bluetooth will shut off.

If I could see the program commands or steps to use, (show steps of programming this or what final commands would look like) it would greatly be appreciated. I used to use Smart Actions and that worked all the time.  I don't know what to use to make the wifi go on as there are several different ways to do it and what I have tried isn't working.  Sometimes my wifi goes on and sometimes the bluetooth works, but there are many times when I forget to check if it worked and find my self using a verizon signal instead of my wifi.

Brandon Horwath

May 8, 2014, 4:15:52 PM5/8/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have tried following YouTube presentations, but still my tasker doesn't work properly. Also, the only way I can save something is by using the dropdown window and clicking on Exit, then it asks to save it. I have not found a Save button.

That's normal. You won't find one. Exit tasker to save. Just using the back button for your device will work and save for you.

Also the video button locations for Tasker are not where they are on my phone.

'video button locations'? Tasker doesn't handle video. Except, I think a plugin called Secret Video Recorder (SVR) does. Some functions in tutorials or demos seen in videos may not be available in tasker directly, but only through a plugin intragted with tasker. Downloading tasker first should enable future plugin download features.

I would like to set up two profiles: first that when I enter my house with wifi already available, I want my phone to shut off bluetooth, connect to my wifi, and then shut off wifi when I leave.

First, start with a %CELLID monitoring task while you're at home.

Something like this:

<cell located, result ID displayed>
A1: Flash [ Text:Tower #: %CELLID Long:Off ] If [ %CELLID !~ \%CELLID ]
<wait until flashed notice disappears>
A2: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:3 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
<repeat notice>
A3: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:1 Label: ]

Or, even better...

Event: Variable Set [ Variable:%CELLID Value:* ]
Enter: Cell Monitor (34)
A1: Read File [ File:Recorded/Cellid Records.txt To Var:%Cellid ]
A2: If [ %Cellid !~R %CELLID ]
<Setting time in seconds to manipulatable variable>
A3: Variable Set [ Name:%times To:%TIMES Do Maths:Off Append:Off ]
<Converting to human recognizable result>
A4: Variable Convert [ Name:%times Function:Seconds to Long Date Time Store Result In: ]
<documenting change for later review>
A5: Write File [ File:Recorded/Cellid Records.txt Text:%CELLID at %times Append:On Add Newline:On ]
A6: Else
A7: Flash [ Text:%CELLID already logged Long:Off ]
A8: End If

Keep in mind %CELLID must be in a profile context for it to be monitored. This is profile context > event > variable set > %CELLID value:(optional)

This should help you get a better understanding of tasker, and how it works... and also give you a list of cell towers close to your home. Though this is not the most direct way of going about it, I suggest the practice.

The most direct route is selecting the magnifying glass for the value field when defining %CELLID in a context. This is profile context > state > cell near

Start with looking at the %WIFII (notice two i's on the end) when you're around your house and not connected to your WiFi.

If you can't toggle your device WiFi, to check for availability of home wifi, consider using a cell near context to turn on or begin a WiFi check profile.

The second is that when I enter my car with a bluetooth device that automatically goes on from the sound of the car door opening/shutting, then wifi will turn off and bluetooth will turn on. when I leave the car, bluetooth will shut off.

AutoVoice can determine ambient noise. Here's the problem... your device can run it's Bluetooth radio all day on the power it would take for 15 minutes of ambient noise recognition.

Reconsider your approach.

If I could see the program commands or steps to use, (show steps of programming this or what final commands would look like) it would greatly be appreciated.

When setting variables to values use alert > flash actions for those values to see what you've done while testing.

I used to use Smart Actions and that worked all the time. I don't know what to use to make the wifi go on as there are several different ways to do it and what I have tried isn't working. Sometimes my wifi goes on and sometimes the bluetooth works, but there are many times when I forget to check if it worked and find my self using a verizon signal instead of my wifi.

You can also post a troublesome profile or task as description, and users here can review and offer any insight.

To export a profile as description:

1) Disable beginner mode.
Go to menu > preferences > UI tab > Beginner mode and uncheck it.

2) A profile must be named to export
Long press on the profile that you want to name and a menu bar should appear at the top of the screen.
Select the "A" icon to open a dialog to name the profile.
Note: You can change tasker's profile creation sequence to request a profile name when creating a profile with:
menu > preferences > UI > scroll down to Main Screen section and find 'Ask For New Profile Name' and check it.

3) Post the Tasker description of the profile or task that you are having trouble with.
To do that you long press on the profile name (or task name) and then go to menu > export > description to clipboard (don't select export XML). Then paste the clipboard contexts into a post.

Dale Weingartner

May 8, 2014, 7:48:29 PM5/8/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for responding.  Maybe I didn't make my self clear or I am still not understanding this.  There is a wifi signal in my house from my wireless wifi which I connect to with my phone.  I do not want to connect to a cell tower (in the house) as our single tower is far away and quite weak. So when I enter the house and the phone "sees" the house wifi signal, the phone should then connect to my wifi signal, or that of my son's house if we are there. Then, since it is connected to a wifi signal which I am already logged in for it should just connect. Then I don't need the bluetooth on, as I am not in my car.

Here is what I have tried now, and it partially works:  Profile; I used Wifi Near setting, signal strength 7 and toggle Wifi (again not sure what that does).  Then in tasks I have Wifi On, Bluetooth Off. then an Exit command, Wifi Off.

My bluetooth in the car automatically turns on when a door is opened and searches for a cell phone that is "attached" to that signal. So my cell phone is already set up for my bluetooth.  The Profile I have for this is; BT Near, Standard Device checked, Toggle Blue Tooth (not sure what that does), then for the Tasks I have Bluetooth On, Wifi Off, then an Exit task - Bluetooth Off. If I am not going home, then wifi should not turn back on until it is mine or my son's signal it "sees."

Sometimes they work and sometimes not.  It was so simple with Smart Actions, where there was no programming.  Once I get this to work I will probably understand Tasker a little better. Thanks again.

Brandon Horwath

May 8, 2014, 8:30:58 PM5/8/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for responding. Maybe I didn't make my self clear or I am still not understanding this. There is a wifi signal in my house from my wireless wifi which I connect to with my phone. I do not want to connect to a cell tower (in the house) as our single tower is far away and quite weak.

Okay... understandable.

So when I enter the house and the phone "sees" the house wifi signal,

How would your phone 'see' the WiFi signal? You'd need to activate your WiFi briefly, scan for available connections, and if one is available then connect and stay on.

the phone should then connect to my wifi signal, or that of my son's house if we are there. Then, since it is connected to a wifi signal which I am already logged in for it should just connect. Then I don't need the bluetooth on, as I am not in my car.

Here is what I have tried now, and it partially works: Profile; I used Wifi Near setting, signal strength 7 and toggle Wifi (again not sure what that does).

Toggle WiFi is that brief activation period I mentioned. If your device doesn't support passive WiFi checks (4.3+ I believe).

Then in tasks I have Wifi On, Bluetooth Off. then an Exit command, Wifi Off.

My bluetooth in the car automatically turns on when a door is opened and searches for a cell phone that is "attached" to that signal. So my cell phone is already set up for my bluetooth. The Profile I have for this is; BT Near, Standard Device checked, Toggle Blue Tooth (not sure what that does), then for the Tasks I have Bluetooth On, Wifi Off, then an Exit task - Bluetooth Off. If I am not going home, then wifi should not turn back on until it is mine or my son's signal it "sees."

Sometimes they work and sometimes not.

It could be that it always works, tasker just checks in intervals. During the time it worked could've been when an interval started.

You can change these in preferences.

blair ross

Mar 28, 2015, 12:57:52 PM3/28/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have a Maxx HD. If you still need help let me know and I'll try. For now this is a summary of what you can do. There are usually many methods to accomplish the same task.

You can used variables to store known wifi SSIDs to kick off an event such as silence phone, turn off GPS via root access and system config, send text.

You use cell towers if WiFi was turned off to save battery power when not near a known SSID to turn off and/or on WiFi, GPS, BT.

You cand send an email using email me pro when a text comes in. I keep my phone in silent while working. I rarely miss texts.

I send a picture via email after 1 invalid attempt but the Maxx often doesn't count bad attempts for some reason.

The wiki page and this forum are invaluable resources.