How to reliably quiet the phone at night?

Erlend Leganger

May 3, 2016, 2:22:43 PM5/3/16
to Tasker
I want to automatically quiet the phone at night, the equivalent of using the Sound icon (which has three states: Normal, Vibration, Quiet). I have tried with the Sound Mode Plugin with varying results (see below), it doesn't always work.

What is currently the best method to do this? I understand that this will vary depending on the Android version, I saw for example in the help text for Silent Mode action that it can only do Vibrate on/off in Android 5.

I know this is a very simple question, I just want to check with the experts what the current best practice is.

The phone is a standard Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F with Android 5.0), Tasker 4.8u2m.

Cheers,
Erlend

This is my sound-off task, not 100% reliable:

libSetSoundOff (3)
A1: Sound Mode [ Configuration:Silent Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
A2: Popup [ Title:Sound Off Text:Sound mode: Silent Background Image: Layout:Popup Timeout (Seconds):2 Show Over Keyguard:On ]

Dale Smith

May 4, 2016, 5:51:36 AM5/4/16
to Tasker

I've never had a problem with this profile. You can ignore the profile off/on actions.

Profile: Silent Mode (54)
 Time: From 10:00PM Till 6:00AM
Enter: Silent Mode On (196)
 A1: Profile Status [ Name:Connected Set:Off ]
 A2: Profile Status [ Name:Home Screen On Call Set:Off ]
 <Missed Event off>
 A3: LED Controller [ Configuration:On,On,Off,On,Off,On Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
 <0 of 15>
 A4: Alarm Volume [ Level:0 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
 <0 of 15>
 A5: Media Volume [ Level:0 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
 <0 of 15>
 A6: Notification Volume [ Level:0 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
 <0 of 15>
 A7: Ringer Volume [ Level:0 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
 <overrides ringer vibrate mode on volume off>
 A8: Silent Mode [ Mode:Off ]
 <0 of 15>
 A9: System Volume [ Level:0 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
 A10: WiFi [ Set:Off ]
 A11: Alarm Volume [ Level:0 Display:Off Sound:Off ]

Exit: Silent Mode Off (212)
 <Missed Event on>
 A1: LED Controller [ Configuration:On,On,On,On,Off,Off Timeout (Seconds):0 ]
 A2: Profile Status [ Name:Connected Set:On ]
 A3: Profile Status [ Name:Disconnected Set:On ]
 A4: Profile Status [ Name:Home Screen On Call Set:Off ]

Pent

May 4, 2016, 9:13:20 AM5/4/16
to Tasker
On Android 5.0+ the Interrupt Mode action will get you most of the way.

Pent

Erlend Leganger

May 4, 2016, 2:02:05 PM5/4/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Heh, who knew? Interrupt Mode seems to do the trick. I see that in stock Android 5 "Do not disturb" (=Interrupt Mode) can have a schedule too, maybe this is enough for me. Thanks for the tip.

- Erlend