Device administrator crashes settings

Peter Bongé

Aug 19, 2017, 8:12:35 PM8/19/17
to Tasker
If I try to enable Tasker (5.0u3) as a device administrator on my Nexus 5 (Android 6.0.1) the settings crashes. So I can't really enable it to use e.g. the lock action.

And a small problem on my Nexus 5X (ODP4): If I add a "if" action the variable field has no focus. So if I try to select a variable nothing get filled into that field. I have to tap that field first.

Pent

Aug 20, 2017, 4:18:51 AM8/20/17
to Tasker
If I try to enable Tasker (5.0u3) as a device administrator on my Nexus 5 (Android 6.0.1) the settings crashes. So I can't really enable it to use e.g. the lock action.

Check Draw Over Other Apps is enabled for Tasker in Android Settings first. Tasker doesn't actually
do anything when you enable the admin, but settings doesn't like that missing permission for
mysterious reasons.

And a small problem on my Nexus 5X (ODP4): If I add a "if" action the variable field has no focus. So if I try to select a variable nothing get filled into that field. I have to tap that field first.

I couldn't reproduce that on either of a couple of devices here, guess it's
some ROM quirk.

Pent

Peter Bongé

Aug 20, 2017, 5:27:46 AM8/20/17
to Tasker
Check Draw Over Other Apps is enabled for Tasker in Android Settings first. Tasker doesn't actually
do anything when you enable the admin, but settings doesn't like that missing permission for
mysterious reasons.

Ahh, thanks. I though this permission exist only on Android 7+. Now I found it and all is fine.

For others with an Android 6 device: You can find the "Draw over other apps" here:
Device Settings -> Apps -> Gear at the top right -> Look for "Draw over other apps"