Tasker 4.8b3+

Pent

Nov 20, 2015, 3:23:11 AM11/20/15
to Tasker
http://tasker.dinglisch.net/beta.html

This update is purely aimed at helping with unreliablity
problems due to OS battery optimization.

If having such problems, please read:

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/androidpowermanagement.html

Pent

Manuel Fernández Gómez

Nov 20, 2015, 6:33:08 AM11/20/15
to Tasker
Made the same test that didn't work with all the previous versions, but with 4.8b3, IT HAS WORKED!

The test consists in a profile that triggers with a specific calendar entry. The task just sets a global cleaned variable to 1. Then, add a calendar event that starts in more than 10 minutes (so the phone enters in deep sleep) and with a duration of just 1 minute. Finally, lock the phone and wait without waking it up in 12-14 minutes, to assure that the calendar event has taken place, and then check the variable value.

With all previous versions, the variable was still unset. -> So the profile didn't triggered.
With this 4.8b3 version, the variable is set to 1, as expected. -> Ok.

I've set the new "Use Reliable Alarms" setting to "When Off". Using S6 Edge with 5.1.1, and Tasker set to "Never" in app optimization.

Cengiz

Nov 20, 2015, 9:28:07 AM11/20/15
to Tasker
Thanks for the update Pent. I quickly tested and saw some improvements.
(Reliable alarms option is selected as whether "when off" or "always".)

- For one profile having 2min repeat time, Samsung device (probably Smart Manager app added with last update) does not allow to activate it less than 5 minutes.
- For two profiles that are working at the same time and having 2min - 5 min repeat time (BUT different start times), same result.
- BUT For two (or three) profiles that are working at the same time and having 5 min repeat time (and all having the same start times), it has worked!!! ALL OF THEM activated at the same time. (and also some strange 50sec delay seems to be disappeared).

Cengiz

Nov 20, 2015, 9:40:46 AM11/20/15
to Tasker
By the way, when I saw the Smart Manager and realize its purpose for the first time, I immediately removed Tasker app from Smart Manager optimisation list. :(
But this is not a solution to the damn 5-minute-rule of Samsung...

Mike

Nov 20, 2015, 9:58:46 AM11/20/15
to Tasker
Hmm... I'm afraid still no success on S6 edge, Android 5.1.1 ROM: G925FXXU3COI9 Rooted with Unikernel.
Tasker v4.8b3m

- The context "every 30 mins" and task : write file  , still give me random results.
- As for calendar event context, it still starts about 3 minutes later than it should

Pent

Nov 20, 2015, 10:24:04 AM11/20/15
to Tasker

Hmm... I'm afraid still no success on S6 edge, Android 5.1.1 ROM: G925FXXU3COI9 Rooted with Unikernel.
Tasker v4.8b3m

Whitelisted and set the Reliable Alarms pref to Always ?

Pent

Mike

Nov 20, 2015, 11:37:00 AM11/20/15
to Tasker
Sorry, i didn't see that option "Reliable Alarms" before.

I've set it to "when off" and it has started my calendar context on time.
The alarm icon in notification is the down side of this alternative solution, but at least there is a solution so thank you.

I'll be testing my other profile (file write %TIME every 30 mins) the next few hours to see if that is fixed too, will update later on about it.

ps: so will changing my phone to a non-samsung will remove that bug and won't need me to use the "reliable alarm" preference ??

Pent

Nov 20, 2015, 12:33:17 PM11/20/15
to Tasker

I've set it to "when off" and it has started my calendar context on time.
The alarm icon in notification is the down side of this alternative solution, but at least there is a solution so thank you.

With 'when off' there shouldn't be an alarm icon except when you've just turned the device
on (or you've set an alarm with an alarm clock app). Is it sticking ?

Pent

Scott Miller

Nov 20, 2015, 1:25:06 PM11/20/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Nexus 6 not rooted, Android 6.

I don't have much that is affected by alarm times, but I changed the preference for reliable alarm to always, then to when off. In both cases my phone got very warm, as if the battery was being consumed heavily (which it actually was...full charge to 75% in about 45 minutes). I set it to never and the problem cleared. Circumstantial evidence, I know. Checking battery stats did not offer any useful info, as Tasker did not show up. I have not attempted to recreate the problem, yet, but will when I have some time. I also plan to reboot the phone before testing it again. Hopefully this was a one time occurrence.

Scott

Scott Miller

Nov 20, 2015, 9:47:12 PM11/20/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

It would seem that a reboot of the phone corrected whatever caused the earlier problem. I currently have reliable alarm set to always, for several hours, with no ill affects.

Scott

Mike

Nov 20, 2015, 10:01:45 PM11/20/15
to Tasker
indeed, the alarm icon disappear a second or two after I switch on the phone, not a problem at all.

Do we have a list of all the phones that do require the "reliable alarm " switched on to have time context working correctly? which phones are affected by that time bug?

Abdullah Alahdal

Nov 21, 2015, 2:39:42 AM11/21/15
to Tasker
Has the time come to taste the Marshmallow?

Abdullah Alahdal

Nov 21, 2015, 2:39:48 AM11/21/15
to Tasker

Pent

Nov 21, 2015, 3:47:40 AM11/21/15
to Tasker

indeed,  the alarm icon disappear a second or two after I switch on the phone,  not a problem at all.

Do we have a list of all the phones that do require the "reliable alarm " switched on to have time context working correctly? which phones are affected by that time bug?

Mostly 5.1+.

But a lot of functionality won't be affected by the alarms problems.

For instance, a time context to put the phone in silent mode at night should have no problem if
Tasker is whitelisted for battery optimization. Though it might still be on some Samsung 5.1.1+
devices, no idea what they are doing there.

Pent

Niclas

Nov 21, 2015, 8:12:16 AM11/21/15
to Tasker
Galaxy s6, Android 5.1.1.

Time context is working flawlessly for my daily profiles now, things that haven't worked in the past month due to this issue is now being triggered reliably again. Huge thanks Pent for fixing this issue!

I'm not able to recreate the issues mentioned by Cengiz. I performed a test with three profiles writing to different files at 1min/2min/10min intervals respectively (initiated with 50 seconds in between each) and they are all doing what they should.

John Doe

Nov 21, 2015, 3:07:58 PM11/21/15
to Tasker
What is the current Tasker policy on mm? Just to understand if it's better to set the screen off checks to 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes. Thanks Pent, you are great.

Thom Little

Nov 21, 2015, 9:05:41 PM11/21/15
to Tasker

I attempted to run Tasker 4.8b3 under Android 4.0.4 and these were the results ...

I installed Tasker and App Factory

I added a simple task with a Flash

It operated correctly

I did an Export to SD (Export as App was correctly shown as an option)

I exited Tasker

Tasker refused to load again

... Thom

Marta Hintz

Nov 21, 2015, 10:32:09 PM11/21/15
to Tasker
Not to be sarcastic, but is the Tasker icon greyed out?

Thom Little

Nov 21, 2015, 10:42:11 PM11/21/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Good question. No it is not grayed out. Same problem with current released version. Not a problem with previous beta version.

... Thom

On Nov 21, 2015 10:32 PM, "Marta Hintz" <lar...@gmail.com> wrote:
Not to be sarcastic,  but is the Tasker icon greyed out?

Pent

Nov 22, 2015, 1:52:00 AM11/22/15
to Tasker

What is the current Tasker policy on mm? Just to understand if it's better to set the screen off checks to 15 minutes instead of 10 minutes.

If you're using 'reliable alarms' and whitelisting, you should be able to set it to whatever you like.

Otherwise, it it's less than 15 mins it will still only happen every 15 minutes unless the phone is
moving, charging, or the display is on.

Pent

Pent

Nov 22, 2015, 1:53:27 AM11/22/15
to Tasker

Tasker refused to load again

I don't understand how you can see if the icon is greyed out or not if it
refuses to load ? By refused to load, you mean what ?

Pent

Thom Little

Nov 22, 2015, 2:17:04 AM11/22/15
to Tasker
Install Tasker.
Drag Tasker icon form app drawer to home screen.
Click on Tasker icon ... Tasker loads.
Accept two conational statements.
Create Task with a single Flash.
Run Task while still in Tasker.
Tasker logo has yellow lightning bolt.
Exit Tasker using Menu and select Save First.
Notification bar shows gray lightning bolt and message says No active profiles.
Click on Tasker icon on home screen ... nothing happens.

Uninstall Tasker.
Install Tasker.
Drag Tasker icon form app drawer to home screen.
Click on Tasker icon ... Tasker loads.
Accept two conational statements.
Create Profile with a single Flash if Power is on AC.
Tasker logo has yellow lightning bolt.
Exit Tasker using Menu and select Save First.
Notification bar shows gray lightning bolt and message says No active profiles.
Click on Tasker icon on home screen ... nothing happens.
Plug in power.
Notification bar shows gray lightning bolt and message says No active profiles.
Click on Tasker icon on home screen ... nothing happens.

... Thom

Thom Little

Nov 22, 2015, 2:24:16 AM11/22/15
to Tasker
Only happens on phone running Android 4.0.4

... Thom

Morgan Young

Nov 22, 2015, 3:57:21 AM11/22/15
to Tasker
On my Samsung Galaxy S6, I was able to get the tasker setting right, however I was not able to make any changes to the battery optimization apps that were mentioned on the website. I can't even open those apps.

I did notice an improvement of the time settings.

Eric Kruis

Nov 22, 2015, 11:29:40 AM11/22/15
to Tasker
All time-triggered profiles are working again :-D
Samsung S6 with Android 5.1.1

Pent

Nov 23, 2015, 4:05:08 AM11/23/15
to Tasker
Sorry Thom, I can't reproduce that on the emulator with a 4.0.3 device. Tried a device restart
after uninstall ?

Pent

Jay M

Nov 23, 2015, 5:41:54 AM11/23/15
to Tasker

Isnt the launcher responsible for launching any apps on the homescreen? Maybe its a bug with the launcher try a different one.

Also might be worth installing a logcat app to see if anythings actually happening when you click the tasker icon. first check whats going on when tasker does load and again when it doesn't load.

Jay M ︻芫══一

Thom Little

Nov 23, 2015, 6:35:59 AM11/23/15
to Tasker
I bought this reconditioned LG Lucid VS840 4G running Android 4.0.4 to match the device used by a customer.  I was testing a Tasker anomaly and then tried to install Tasker on it.

This launching after the first time problem exists in the production system and the current beta,  It did not occur in the previous beta.

In addition, a profile created on a Motorola Droid Turbo running 5.1.1 using the production Tasker and then emitted into an app using app factory when run on this LG Lucid or my customer's LG Lucid ...
  • Monitor Start throws an error. (I had a separate project initialization profile using Monitor Start on other devices and had to abandon it on the LG Lucid.)
  • Destroy Scene throws an error and I have to use Hide Scene if the SDK < 16.
Perhaps all these "features" are particular to the LG Lucid.  Perhaps they are not available in 4.0.4?  The Tasker SDK orientation states that they are available.

The LG Lucid is sitting here with the sole purpose of testing Tasker stuff.  Is there something you have you would like me to try?

---   ---   ---

If I click on the Tasker icon for the second time in the current beta that is in the app drawer ,,.

The icon goes gray for about 1 second and then returns to color.  Nothing else happens.

... Thom

Pent

Nov 23, 2015, 9:17:03 AM11/23/15
to Tasker

This launching after the first time problem exists in the production system and the current beta,  It did not occur in the previous beta.

Maybe the device is in landscape ? I'm aware of that bug.

Pent

Thom Little

Nov 23, 2015, 9:46:13 AM11/23/15
to Tasker
Nope.  I tired playing with that and even disabled auto-rotate.

It seems to be a rather "spooky" device.  I just did a Factory data Reset and it did not touch the file structure.
I re-installed the previous beta and it would not launch the first time.
I did another Factory Data Reset.
I re-installer the current beta and it launched the first time.  I created a simple task that ran correctly.  It would not launch the second time.

Since the Factory Data Reset is not clearing the file structure it looks like various piles of residue may be building up and causing problems.

I'd be happy to ignore this.  I just tried it and reported it so it might help your problem determination.

What I would love to see is ...
Monitor Start
Destroy Scene
... working on this device with an app that was created under 5.1.1

... Thom

Pent

Nov 23, 2015, 9:53:36 AM11/23/15
to Tasker

Nope.  I tired playing with that and even disabled auto-rotate.

Still think it might be that. I've fixed that bug for next time, let's see.

>What I would love to see is ...
>Monitor Start
>Destroy Scene
>... working on this device with an app that was created under 5.1.1

Sorry, I'm just working on Marshmallow and fundamental bugs due to health
reasons.

Pent

Nxt3

Nov 23, 2015, 12:21:16 PM11/23/15
to Tasker
What is the difference between "Always" and "When Off"?

Thom Little

Nov 23, 2015, 1:56:00 PM11/23/15
to Tasker
I will try it with the next beta and report the results.

This customer using this old device is the only reason I encountered the ...
Monitor Start
Destroy Scene
... problems.  If it wasn't for that I would not include that system in the app range and do things the "modern" way.

... Thom

Cengiz

Nov 23, 2015, 3:21:55 PM11/23/15
to Tasker
Well it is a good news at least new Samsung phones and future updates. Actually, Smart Manager comes with S6 as far as I know, and I don't understand why my S5 with Android 5.0 got this app with an update.

What was your Smart Manager setting for tasker (optimise or don't optimise) and Tasker's 'reliable alarms' setting ("Always" or "When Off")?

Cengiz

Nov 23, 2015, 3:29:20 PM11/23/15
to Tasker
What about profles/tasks with "wait" actions?

I observed that each wait action had a similar behavior as time context and 5-min restriction of Samsung (and may be 15-min restriction of Marshmallow) was applicable to them. Does anybody know if wait actions are also working well with new beta?

B Okami

Nov 23, 2015, 11:55:01 PM11/23/15
to Tasker
Hi Pent,

I'm using Tasker 4.8b3+ on an unrooted, stock Nexus 6 with Android build MRA58A and am having troubles with Event: Alarm Clock.

I've got two alarms setup in the stock Android clock app. One called "Wake up" and the other called "Bedtime". In Tasker, I've set up the following profile/tasks:

Profile: Wake Up Alarm (38)
 Event: Alarm Clock [ Label: Wake up ]
Enter: Anon (39)
 A1: Do Not Disturb [ Mode:All]

...and...

Profile: Bedtime Alarm (36)
 Event: Alarm Clock [ Label: Bedtime ]
Enter: Anon (37)
 A1: Do Not Disturb [ Mode:Priority ]

However when the alarms are triggered, Tasker does not appear to be firing either of the tasks. I've checked to be sure that I've enabled Misc/Allow External Access and the log file does not show the event nor the task being executed. I'm not sure if this is a (new) bug in the current Tasker 4.8b3+ or simply user error but I noticed on Reddit/Tasker someone was asking about the same problem about a month ago.

Thanks for all that you do, you make using my phone so much better.

Pent

Nov 24, 2015, 3:31:23 AM11/24/15
to Tasker

I observed that each wait action had a similar behavior as time context and 5-min restriction of Samsung (and may be 15-min restriction of Marshmallow) was applicable to them. Does anybody know if wait actions are also working well with new beta?

I can only answer for vanilla Marshmallow, I made a time context with a task Beep, Wait 8 Minutes, Beep, left the device
off for 20 minutes without power and the task functioned as expected.

Pent

Pent

Nov 24, 2015, 3:33:57 AM11/24/15
to Tasker

I'm using Tasker 4.8b3+ on an unrooted, stock Nexus 6 with Android build MRA58A and am having troubles with Event: Alarm Clock.

Is that a Marshmallow build ?

Pent

B Okami

Nov 24, 2015, 4:52:23 AM11/24/15
to Tasker
Hi Pent,

Oops... Sorry...I ment MRA58N (fat fingers). Yes it's stock Marshmallow 6.0 with the November security updates.

John Doe

Nov 24, 2015, 6:49:47 AM11/24/15
to Tasker

Doze is active after 1 hour. 20 minutes are not enough from my test. As alternative you can use adb commands.

Pent

Nov 24, 2015, 9:20:19 AM11/24/15
to Tasker

On Friday, 20 November 2015 19:25:06 UTC+1, Scott Miller wrote:

Nexus 6 not rooted, Android 6.

I don't have much that is affected by alarm times, but I changed the preference for reliable alarm to always, then to when off. In both cases my phone got very warm, as if the battery was being consumed heavily (which it actually was...full charge to 75% in about 45 minutes).

I found an infinite loop when cancelling the reliable alarms which was probably the cause of the heaing.
Suspect it's caused by the Android alarm manager code having a timing or thread bug somewhere, but tried to
work around it.

Pent

Pent

Nov 24, 2015, 9:21:46 AM11/24/15
to Tasker
I tested the alarm event on an N5 with 6.0, the alarm clock app is no longer sending the
alarm label with the broadcast, probably you'll find it works if you don't specify a label.
Which is not much use in this case I know...

Pent

Scott Miller

Nov 24, 2015, 10:48:23 AM11/24/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

On Nov 24, 2015 9:20 AM, "Pent" wrote:

> I found an infinite loop when cancelling the reliable alarms which was probably the cause of the heaing.
> Suspect it's caused by the Android alarm manager code having a timing or thread bug somewhere, but tried to
> work around it.

Thanks. I'll try it again after next beta. I did actually encounter the problem again the next day, so it wasn't just a one time occurrence, meaning I'll probably be able to tell if your workaround fixed it.

Scott

Morgan Young

Nov 24, 2015, 1:11:39 PM11/24/15
to Tasker
I can't find this app on my galaxy s 6.

B Okami

Nov 24, 2015, 11:13:00 PM11/24/15
to Tasker
Hi Pent,

That's unfortunate but thank you anyway for taking the time to test it. Much appreciated.

Pent

Nov 26, 2015, 8:03:46 AM11/26/15
to Tasker
Uploaded b4:
  • beta: bug fix for alarm cancel infinite loop when disabling Tasker
  • bugfix: problem launching in landscape mode
  • bugfix: Play Music Dir: was stopping after first track
Pent

Abdullah Alahdal

Nov 26, 2015, 8:14:29 AM11/26/15
to Tasker
  • bugfix: Play Music Dir: was stopping after first track

This has nothing to do with the Loop issue, Right :( ?

Thom Little

Nov 26, 2015, 12:58:31 PM11/26/15
to Tasker
Tasker.4.8b4m.apk

Installed on the LG Lucid ... reported successful ... refuses to load (even the first time).

Is there a corresponding App Factory for Tasker.4.8b4m.apk?

... Thom

Pent

Nov 26, 2015, 2:46:55 PM11/26/15
to Tasker

Tasker.4.8b4m.apk

Installed on the LG Lucid ... reported successful ... refuses to load (even the first time).

I'm starting to not like that device. You tried portrait and landscape ?

Is there a corresponding App Factory for Tasker.4.8b4m.apk?

No.

Pent

Thom Little

Nov 26, 2015, 4:45:18 PM11/26/15
to Tasker
I am running it on a Droid Maxx under 4.4.4 with no problems.

I am running it on a Droid Bionic under 4.1.2 with no problems.

The LG Lucid under 4.0.4 has ALWAYS been a problem.  I am surprised there aren't more people talking about them.  Perhaps everyone (except my customer) has moved on.

I have not tried it under 5.1 and 5.1.1 since they are my production devices.

... Thom

Pent

Nov 27, 2015, 3:33:24 AM11/27/15
to Tasker
Thing is, all I changed from b2 to b3 was how the alarms were handled (and added a prefs option
for that).

Since I can't reproduce a problem in the emulator with a similar Android version, I don't
really know what to do, except to advise sticking with 4.7u3 for that device if it works.

Pent

Andrea Bruzzesi

Nov 27, 2015, 10:03:30 AM11/27/15
to Tasker
Tested 4.8 beta 4 on Xiaomi Mi4c with MIUI firmware (clean install, rebooted a couple of times): unfortunately none of the reliable alarm options make difference, the hourly profile I use does not get triggered.

Back on CyanogenMod 12.1 which works without issues.

Pent

Nov 27, 2015, 10:57:45 AM11/27/15
to Tasker

Tested 4.8 beta 4 on Xiaomi Mi4c with MIUI firmware (clean install, rebooted a couple of times): unfortunately none of the reliable alarm options make difference, the hourly profile I use does not get triggered.

Possibly MIUI it has it's own power-save features. If it's a rooted device, something else could
also be killing Tasker.

Pent

Thom Little

Nov 27, 2015, 2:25:29 PM11/27/15
to Tasker

I am running Tasker on ...

  • Tasker.4.7u3m / Motorola Droid Turbo 2 – 5.1.1 / Motorola Droid Turbo – 5.1
  • Tasker.4.8b4m / Motorola Droid Bionic – 4.1.2 / Motorola Droid Maxx - 4.4.4
  • No Tasker version / LG Lucid – 4.0.4

Does Tasker not run under 4.0.4 or is it just a quirk associated with the LG Lucid?

(Pursuing the LG Lucid is counterproductive my workaround was to create a Tasker app on the Droid Turbo 2 under 5.1.1 and install it on the LF Lucid running 4.0.4.)

... Thom

Nxt3

Nov 27, 2015, 2:46:08 PM11/27/15
to Tasker
What is the difference between "Always" and "When Off" in regards to the alarm?
Message has been deleted

Pent

Nov 28, 2015, 4:10:02 AM11/28/15
to Tasker

Does Tasker not run under 4.0.4 or is it just a quirk associated with the LG Lucid?

As I already wrote, works fine on 4.0.3 in the emulator, so I doubt 4.0.4 is
a special case.

Pent

Hussain

Nov 28, 2015, 4:10:19 AM11/28/15
to Tasker
Hi Pent,
I installed 4.8b4m on my stock rooted Nexus 6 Marshmallow.

The List Files action seems to not be picking any files in my specified folder. Not sure why? Is that a bug?

Thanks

Pent

Nov 28, 2015, 4:11:00 AM11/28/15
to Tasker

What is the difference between "Always" and "When Off" in regards to the alarm?

I don't know how to describe it better than the name already says. Always is 'always'
and 'when off' is when the display is off.

Pent

Pent

Nov 28, 2015, 4:15:35 AM11/28/15
to Tasker

The List Files action seems to not be picking any files in my specified folder. Not sure why? Is that a bug?

No read permissions on the dir ? Or perhaps you are putting the list in a var (e.g. %files)
and then doing something like Flash %files instead of Flash %files(), since %files is an
array variable.

In any case, I don't have any trouble with same Tasker and OS version.

Pent

Scott Miller

Nov 28, 2015, 4:11:58 PM11/28/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Been using Reliable Alarms when off for more than 24 hours, and haven't had any issue, so far, with severe battery drain or overheating.

Scott

Pent

Nov 29, 2015, 3:30:28 AM11/29/15
to Tasker
Thanks Scott.

Pent

Hussain

Nov 30, 2015, 1:14:44 AM11/30/15
to Tasker
Reinstalled the beta and it worked :/

abdess

Dec 2, 2015, 5:49:33 AM12/2/15
to Tasker
if it's work, I will test the new version, and I come back to you
But we must turn off the optimization battery of the application ?

The procedure for the the new version is to :
1- Backup the settings
2- uninstall the last version
3- clean up the junk files
4- install the beta version