Unified Remote plugin in Tasker stopped workng

Kent Lanier

Oct 23, 2016, 2:21:41 PM10/23/16
to Tasker

Hi,

I have used Unified Remote for a long time and I love it. I recently started trying to integrate it with Tasker.  I have a mac and a pc I am trying to make go to sleep with unified remote as a task in Tasker.

My Nexus 5x worked at first with Tasker with the pc but I couldn't get it to work with the mac. I thought this was strange because the Unified Remote app still works just not in Tasker. So, I tried my work phone, a Samsung J36V, It worked with both the mac and pc for about a day. It stopped working suddenly for seemingly no reason.

Well, I did set up a remote server on my PC and Mac for Unified Remote using a static ip and port forwarding so that Tasker would still function with Unified when not connected to the local network. Also, just to use the Unified app remotely.

This worked fine in the Unified app but when I tried to Use Tasker on my work phone, It took a long time for the computers to respond and shortly after, Unified in Tasker stopped working completely. I did manage to sleep each monitor a couple times with my phone connected to the cellular network but It took forever and only a random one of the two monitors would sleep. I switched it back to the local network which I thought might fix the problem, Unified Remote still wouldn't work in Tasker.

Now, Unified Remote doesn't work in Tasker at all. Both phones, both computers. I tried reinstalling the Tasker and Unified apps and putting all the settings back to the way it was when it was working. Nothing. Next thing I'll probably try is reinstalling the servers on the computers. I doubt that will help though.

The Unified Remote app works fine.

Any suggestions?

    Pent

    Oct 24, 2016, 3:20:06 AM10/24/16
    to Tasker
    I would first check that Tasker is saying it's calling the plugin successfully (see Menu
    / More / Run Log).

    If that's fine, I see 2 possibilities:

    a) I presume you're testing the remote app with display on, and probably display is off
    when Tasker runs it. Possibly the remote app (and/or Tasker) is being affected by
    system power-saving with the display off, in which case you would need to apply as
    many as possible of the measures here to *both* of the apps:

    http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/androidpowermanagement.html

    b) although the remote app might work fine when controlled by the user, the plugin code
    that the developer has included for talking to Tasker might be buggy, you would have to talk to the
    developer about that.

    Pent

    Kent Lanier

    Oct 24, 2016, 10:47:39 AM10/24/16
    to tas...@googlegroups.com

    Pent, thank you for the reply.

    I have the phones display on when trying to run the task. It doesn't work when I press the play button at the bottom of the screen to test it (see picture).

    The link was very helpful. I'm going to try those things when I get home from work.

    I'll also run the log and and take a screenshot.

    I contacted unified remote and explained the issue already.

    I hope I can figure this out. I'm trying to use Alexa + IFTTT + Pushbullet + Tasker + Unified Remote to turn off my computer monitors by voice. Lol.

    It would sure be nice if Unified was on IFTTT. That way I could cut out a few middle men.

    Thanks again,
    Kent

    Screenshot_20161023-121118.png

    Pent

    Oct 25, 2016, 4:17:37 AM10/25/16
    to Tasker

    I have the phones display on when trying to run the task. It doesn't work when I press the play button at the bottom of the screen to test it (see picture).

    Then it's probably nothing to do with power management.

    The green light when you run the task indicates that Tasker has run the plugin and the plugin said
    everything is OK. It's almost certainly on the plugin side that things aren't working.

    Pent

    Kent Lanier

    Oct 25, 2016, 8:55:19 AM10/25/16
    to tas...@googlegroups.com

    That make sense. I suppose all I can do is hope unified remote releases an update that fixes the problem.

    Thanks for your help,
    Kent