"Mobile Data" action not working on Nexus 5 and Android 5.0

KUAL

Nov 15, 2014, 7:02:18 AM11/15/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I was using "mobile data" action to swtich mobile data on and off.  it was working fine on android 4.4.4, but on android 5.0 it says "mobile data action is not available on this device".
It is not woking not through takser itself, nor via secure settings plugin.
Does somebody has the same issue or just me?  Can it be resolved somehow?

Pent

Nov 15, 2014, 7:13:14 AM11/15/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
There is already a thread about this, please use the search box.

It probably can't be fixed, Google have been trying to prevent mobile data toggling for several years now.

Pent

José Luis Montero Muñoz

Nov 16, 2014, 12:13:18 PM11/16/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Felipe Criado

Nov 20, 2014, 12:38:59 PM11/20/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Needs root.

牛冰峰

Nov 22, 2014, 3:24:35 AM11/22/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
What if I have already rooted my deivice ?

在 2014年11月15日星期六UTC+8下午8时13分14秒,Pent写道:

KUAL

Nov 22, 2014, 3:36:01 AM11/22/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it was working with root on older android versions, but it does not work on android 5.0. Even with root and/or secure settings plugin.

Dale Smith

Nov 24, 2014, 11:46:10 PM11/24/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
the last Android OS update was for me an oh crappie why did I do it. Fool me once....
Message has been deleted

Paul [sabret00the]

Dec 1, 2014, 12:57:27 PM12/1/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
If this app can do it, it's just a matter of time before Secure Settings sorts it out.

Mike Yates

Dec 9, 2014, 1:22:07 PM12/9/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Pent, what's that other thread called then? It doesn't come up in my searches.

Data on and off worked fine without root in 4.4 on Nexus4 but 5.0 is a different interface altogether for manually switching it. I had a profile to switch off data, WiFi and Bluetooth whenever I switched off the screen. The latter two still work fine but now I can't even get a warning sound because Tasked can't even monitor data on/off for 5.0

Pent

Dec 9, 2014, 2:01:47 PM12/9/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Hey, Pent, what's that other thread called then? It doesn't come up in my searches.

Probably there's more info here now anyway.

Data on and off worked fine without root in 4.4 on Nexus4 but 5.0 is a different interface altogether for manually switching it

The manual interface is not relevant, Google have stopped allowing normal apps to get the permission needed to
change mobile data.

Pent

Christopher Forand

Dec 9, 2014, 9:45:56 PM12/9/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I posted this feature request for Android because this removal is terrible.  Breaks one of the most important things I used tasker for - protecting me to make sure I don't exceed my quota by turning off tethering when I'm in locations where it's definitely not required.

Pent

Dec 10, 2014, 1:59:29 AM12/10/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Changing tethering by app was never officially supported in Android so from their point of view it
hasn't been removed, it was never there. Same for Mobile Data.

Pent

Peter Rainer

Dec 11, 2014, 5:12:10 AM12/11/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You can think about this however you want, but for me the "feature" that apps could toggle mobile data was the perfect workaround for other more severe bugs in Android. I do live in Austria and there some phone network providers do use national roaming (free of charge) to offer a good network coverage. But therefore you unfortunately have to turn on "Data Roaming" - as Austria is a rather small country a huge proportion of the population does live near the border where data roaming could potentially cause high costs.
Most of the people do therefore either use a app to manually toggle mobile data or apps which do automatically toggle it based on the phone network they are connected to. With Android 5 you have to turn off data roaming permanently which makes the phone virtually unusable because you don't have mobile internet 80% of the time. Also see this bug report: https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=81891

I don't want to go back to the previous release because it's such a pain to back up and restore all that data ... even though I'm a big google fan and a developer myself I've already considered to sell my Nexus and go for a phone with a different OS ...

Pent

Dec 11, 2014, 5:25:43 AM12/11/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

You can think about this however you want

I said 'from Google's point of view', which is not necessarily mine.

Pent

Dude

Dec 13, 2014, 9:37:37 AM12/13/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Turning mobile data on/off using power toggles isn't an issue on a rooted lollipop nexus 4.

Mike Yates

Dec 14, 2014, 5:34:40 AM12/14/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Well, the vast majority of us have not rooted our phones (at least the one in personal use) so we just want to restore a function we had in Android4.  Is this awaiting an API? If so, it is well below the standards we expect of a major OS to release a final major version before the APIs are completed, causing dozens of apps (data toggles) to fail.
If not, one is tempted to wonder if there are financial incentives to the developers for making it so difficult for users to limit their use of expensive services.

Pent

Dec 14, 2014, 8:16:19 AM12/14/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Well, the vast majority of us have not rooted our phones (at least the one in personal use) so we just want to restore a function we had in Android4.  Is this awaiting an API?

Well, you could say that, since there has never been an official API for toggling mobile data, apps have always had to use various hacks to be able to offer that functionality. Over the years Google have closed all the holes that made it possible.

Pent

Aaron Stepanik

Dec 24, 2014, 3:08:52 AM12/24/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Pretty stupid on their part. What's the point in using this app now if everything people want to toggle is locked down. I'm not going through the hell of rooting my device, and I can't on my carrier even if I wanted to.

Phil Bilton

Dec 27, 2014, 10:46:18 AM12/27/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Im relatively new to tasker and learning every time i opopen it.
I've just installed Commandr.
Is there a way to assign a task that types text into google now?
I'm just thinking if commandr can toggle settings then if you assign tasker to enter "mobile data off" into google now that would work?

Mike Yates

Dec 30, 2014, 5:58:53 AM12/30/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
 I protest that this is a vital lost facility in the Android 4 to 5 """upgrade""" and it is losing people money in "Roaming Data" (hurry up EU legislation!) as well as in vain purchases of toggler apps.
We just have to wait for Android developers to respond to the requests already made for an API and for app developers like the admirable Tasker team to find workarounds,
In the meantime, I have set up an alarm task which plays a sound file "You're still on-line!" when the screen is blanked, if a previous task in the profile can successfully ping a URL. Previous tasks still, in the profile, switch off WiFi and Bluetooth, which do still work in Lollipop.

I hope that "partial workaround" idea helps others....

Pent

Dec 30, 2014, 6:02:00 AM12/30/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Can't see if it was mentioned on this thread, but I believe there's also the possibility of using the AutoInput plugin to simulate a user toggling the setting in the Settings app.

Pent

Phil Bilton

Dec 30, 2014, 6:07:28 AM12/30/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I will give that a shot today after I've finished messing around with autowear. Cheers pent.

Chirath Akon

Jan 1, 2015, 12:07:34 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Wify Tethering is working for me. Just not Mobile Data :(

Phil Bilton

Jan 1, 2015, 12:12:21 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I can get wifi on and off but it doesn't allow mobile data even using autoinput.
Although i got autoinput to change location settings from high to low and on/off from my watch.

Paul [sabret00the]

Jan 1, 2015, 3:33:48 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Just to let everyone know, the Secure Settings update that rolled out today can now toggle Mobile Data. I've confirmed this myself.

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 1, 2015, 6:05:42 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
What is autoinput?

Phil Bilton

Jan 1, 2015, 6:46:21 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Autoinput is from a series of apps that are plugins for tasker.
Autoinput is a bit like macros in excel.
It allows you to record and simulate screen touches so you can get tasker to automatically press things on screen.
As we can't toggle location settings as far as i am aware i use autoinput to simulate me going into settings and pressing the required options. I just set up 3 tasks for on/off 1 for high accuracy and a 3rd for battery saving.
I then have these options available to me on my lg r watch.

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 1, 2015, 6:48:03 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Does that work without root? I'd like to toggle off and on GPS and airplane mode.

Phil Bilton

Jan 1, 2015, 6:53:45 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yeah it works without root. I haven't tried airplane mode but does work selecting gps on and off. Took me a while to figure it out as I'm just a beginner but if you need help setting it up just let me know.

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 1, 2015, 7:13:21 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I created a task in tasker and tried to configure it but it's not working. Don't really know what to do..

Phil Bilton

Jan 1, 2015, 7:29:18 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Ok in the task,
Launch a app, hold down settings so it opens a list.
Scroll down to location settings(near the bottom)
Then put in a 1 second wait.
Then open up auto input plugin.
In there click easy setup.
It tells you to go to the screen that you want to press a button. Navigate to the location settibgs menu.
Pull down your quick settings from the top and you should have a notification from auto input. Click add and then Click on the on/off button for locations, then back into notifications and save. It should take you back to tasker.
Put in another wait then go home.
Put in another wait and then a kill app-settings.

You should now be able to use this task in a profile or like i did, have a option on my watch to run it.

To do the accuracy settings set up another 2 tasks but after you done the selection you need to make sure you add in the back button otherwise it messes everything up next time you run the task.

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 1, 2015, 7:47:01 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
From what I gathered.....you have Tasker open the settings and wait, then you just have AutoInput click on the screen from whereever you picked. AutoInput does not open any applications. The issue I have is on my tablet, the Location settings is down a bit and you have to scroll down to click on it, so how would this work then?

Phil Bilton

Jan 1, 2015, 7:53:25 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
If when you get tasker to launch the settings app, Long click onto the settings it should give you a menu within settings that you would like to open. Type location in the filter box and you should see the required one.
It's basically a shortcut to the menu. Then carry out the auto input bit to toggle the on off switch.

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 1, 2015, 7:58:11 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Okay. That worked. No way to make it scroll at all? or find text on the screen? It appears it only looks at what's in view.

Phil Bilton

Jan 1, 2015, 8:05:48 PM1/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Not that i know of but I'm New to all this.
Glad it worked for you.

Pent

Jan 2, 2015, 3:37:08 AM1/2/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

Just to let everyone know, the Secure Settings update that rolled out today can now toggle Mobile Data. I've confirmed this myself.

With root, right ?

Pent

Paul [sabret00the]

Jan 2, 2015, 8:33:59 AM1/2/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Pretty much, it's not one of the root actions but Secure Settings has a full-on rage about not having root privileges.

Siddhanta Chakrabarty

Jan 7, 2015, 4:26:34 AM1/7/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
In Autoinput there is an option where you select if you want to Click, Long Click, Scroll etc. Play around with that, you can then scroll.
I use it with Pushbullet where it scrolls continuously for almost 4 seconds. Cheers.

Jonathan Peyton

Jan 12, 2015, 2:22:16 AM1/12/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I haven't noticed my Autolocation /Geofence not toggling off when I arrive at home...Nexus 5 / Android 5.5 rooted

Phil Bilton

Jan 12, 2015, 3:39:48 PM1/12/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Ok got autoinput to successfully toggle mobile data on and off without root.
Although i would like to put in my notification on my watch wether data is enabled or not without pulling my phone out. (im creating a intractable notification app for my lg r watch that control system settings and tasker profiles)
Has mobile data got a variable name as i can't find one.

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 12, 2015, 5:10:27 PM1/12/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
What method did you use for autoinput to toggle mobile data off?
Message has been deleted

Phil Bilton

Jan 12, 2015, 5:27:11 PM1/12/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Forgive me but i don't know how to write it out in code but basically;
Display task-disables keyguard and turns screen on so i can launch from watch.
Launch app>settings(long clicked and found the screen for managing data limits)
Wait 5ms
Autoinput>easy configure>went to settings screen i mentioned above, clicked the toggle and saved.
Wait 5ms.
Autoinput again>back to the same screen, clicked the toggle, then saved the conformation yes click.
You only have to do the above step if disabling data, therefore created another task with that step taken out.
Wait 5ms
Go home
Keyguard enabled

Hope that makes sense?

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 12, 2015, 5:29:15 PM1/12/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You just had auto input open the settings for mobile data and click on the screen to toggle it off?

Phil Bilton

Jan 12, 2015, 5:32:13 PM1/12/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Pretty much yeah but using autoinput just put in waits inbetween steps.

Mike Yates

Jan 14, 2015, 7:14:49 AM1/14/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
OK, I got AutoInput to do it too.
I've attached the backup XML which "might" work if you restore it.

Trouble is, my main purpose was to switch off the data when the screen was switched off.
AutoInput doesn't seem to work AFTER the screen goes off!
Any workarounds?
BTW my ping-test alert won't work either, because the tasks don't contnue after AutoInput fails...
userbackup.xml

Phil Bilton

Jan 14, 2015, 7:37:08 AM1/14/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Mine is working quite well, i have it so that when battery reaches 60% it starts to toggle data every 20minutes and also when the screen is on/off.

I have trusted devices so when it's connected to my watch it bypasses the knock code/pin. I then have a display task to disable the keyguard swipe action.

Could your task not firing because of this ^^?

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 14, 2015, 8:48:58 AM1/14/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You have to turn the screen on and have autoinput go to the mobile data button and toggle it off every 20 minutes?

Phil Bilton

Jan 14, 2015, 8:56:17 AM1/14/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have tasker to turn the screen on then auto input toggles the data. Turns screen of, 5 minutes later it repeats to turn data off.

This is ideal for me and anyone else using a connected device as i leave my phone in my bag or pocket at work and check the notifications on my watch as using our phones during working times is frowned upon.

KUAL

Jan 14, 2015, 10:31:02 AM1/14/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I was using AutoInput to switch mobile data on and off, but it works not very reliable. Sometimes it does not switch due to unusual pause in some action.
So better root your phone and install secure settings. Now it works fine again.

Phil Bilton

Jan 14, 2015, 11:00:40 AM1/14/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Today went well, the data turned on when expected and off without a hitch.
The more i learn about tasker the more i can get it to do, intergrating profiles etc.
I very rarely get my phone out now with the lg watch and having this option to toggle data helps with the battery life when at work. Having it kick in at 60% helps although i don't get there with using the watch as the display on the G3 was the biggest drain.
Sorry going off on a tangent, but getting back to the subject, autoinput works very well with tasker to toggle the data if you can't/won't go the rooted method.

Aaron Stepanik

Jan 14, 2015, 11:17:06 AM1/14/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You could probably have it set the screen brightness to lowest setting when the screen comes on to minimize battery drain.

Phil Bilton

Jan 14, 2015, 11:25:25 AM1/14/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Yeah i have already done that, set it to 5 which at work is fine then in the evenings i drop it down further.
Some days my battery is fine as can't really use our phones but other days when i need to use it or days when we are in work for 16+ hours unexpectantly i need to minimise battery lose.

Mike Yates

Jan 15, 2015, 5:52:19 AM1/15/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I take it you are not using a Nexus? (Mine is Nexus 4 with Android5)
The screen on/off is as """secured""" against Tasker as the data on/off.
Is there a workaround for that?

Phil Bilton

Jan 15, 2015, 6:07:06 AM1/15/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I used secure settings to switch tge display on for 20 seconds.
Then secure settings again to disable keyguard.
I also have trusted devices so there is no lock to get past.

Mike Yates

Jan 16, 2015, 4:33:40 AM1/16/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Ah, but you're rooted aren't you?

Phil Bilton

Jan 16, 2015, 4:43:29 AM1/16/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
No not rooted.
Lg g3 5.0
Lg r watch for trusted devices

Peter R

Jan 29, 2015, 2:05:38 PM1/29/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
There is an open issue tracker for this "bug". As indicated in comment #49, the more the issue is starred, the more visibility it will get. Leaving comments is not taken into account, so just "star" it (in the upper-left next to the "Issue 81891" label).

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=81891

Sean Williams

Jan 29, 2015, 2:51:33 PM1/29/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Peter thanks for the link I have starred and voted and I urge everyone to do the same.

However I'm pretty sceptical on Google ever creating an official method to rectify our dissatisfaction. Simple point is its in their interest to have us online. If toggling data is inconvenient the chances are most people will leave it on.

Peter R

Jan 29, 2015, 5:08:55 PM1/29/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean,

Yes, I concur about their most likely motivation for disabling the functionality. I'm skeptical about it getting rectified as well, but put in my vote/star.

Ultimately, the only way to  have control of our hardware (and data usage) is to root the phone. I'm just dreading having to wipe everything to unlock the bootloader. But it's just a one-time inconvenience and opens up much more functionality.

Peter

Peter R

Feb 3, 2015, 2:51:49 PM2/3/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Sean, Pent, et al,

There is a related feature request issue to add API functionality for controlling mobile data. Starring this would be helpful as well.

https://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=130608

Peter

Joel

Apr 15, 2015, 12:14:29 PM4/15/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I found AutoInput to be reliable to wait 1 second after you click the Data quick setting on 5.1 before clicking on/off for data. I guess it depends on how you set up the profile. I've been trying to go the non-root route solely for the purpose of app development though.

Apr 21, 2015, 4:30:26 AM4/21/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I just switched to Lollipop. I found secure settings unreliable for data activation, I often obtain some errors.

If you are rooted, the solution is:

Code -> Run Shell -> svc data enable/disable (with root)

Bob Loblaw

May 2, 2015, 8:38:48 PM5/2/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I am using this feature in Android 5.2. So, I don't have to use a Task for it. Helps out at that crucial time.

On Saturday, November 15, 2014 at 6:02:18 AM UTC-6, KUAL wrote:
I was using "mobile data" action to swtich mobile data on and off.  it was working fine on android 4.4.4, but on android 5.0 it says "mobile data action is not available on this device".
It is not woking not through takser itself, nor via secure settings plugin.
Does somebody has the same issue or just me?  Can it be resolved somehow?

KUAL

May 3, 2015, 2:56:45 AM5/3/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
So, as "Secure settings" plugin is updated too slowly and its current version is unable to swtich mobile data in android 5.1,  i use  "Toggle Data 5.0" plugin instead. It's working fine in Tasker and 5.1. Also need root. On google play it is payed version, but for xda users there is free version.

Régis Bouguin

May 28, 2015, 10:57:55 AM5/28/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
"Secure settings" plugin works on android 5.0.2

Dale Smith

Jun 10, 2015, 6:05:56 PM6/10/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have a stock Samsung S5 and use AutoInput to toggle both Mobile Data and GPS.

The mobile data Task is a called Task form another Task. %par1 is either on or off.
I test the state of Mobile Data before I do anything.

Mobile Data on/off (197)
    <Variable %state will be yes or no>
    A1: Test Net [ Type:Mobile Data Enabled Data: Store Result In:%state ]
    A2: If [ %state ~ no & %par1 ~ on | %state ~ yes & %par1 ~ off ]
    A3: Mobile Data Settings
    A4: Wait [ MS:250 Seconds:3 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A5: AutoInput Action [ Configuration:Type: Text
Value: Mobile Data
Action : Click Package:com.joaomgcd.autoinput Name:AutoInput Action Timeout (Seconds):20 ]
    A6: Wait [ MS:250 Seconds:1 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A7: AutoInput Action [ Configuration:Type: Text
Value: OK
Action : Click Package:com.joaomgcd.autoinput Name:AutoInput Action Timeout (Seconds):2 Continue Task After Error:On ] If [ %state ~ yes ]
    A8: Wait [ MS:250 Seconds:0 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
    A9: AutoInput Global Action [ Configuration:Action: Back Package:com.joaomgcd.autoinput Name:AutoInput Global Action Timeout (Seconds):20 ]
    A10: End If

This is the GPS on Task. I also have a GPS off Task. Probably should combine them together like I did the Mobile Data Task.

GPS on (183)
<If GPS off turn it on>
A1: If [ %GPS ~ off ]
A2: Location Settings
A3: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:1 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A4: AutoInput Action [ Configuration:Type: Text
Value: OFF
Action : Click Package:com.joaomgcd.autoinput Name:AutoInput Action Timeout (Seconds):3 ]
A5: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:1 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A6: AutoInput Action [ Configuration:Type: Text
Value: Agree
Action : Click Package:com.joaomgcd.autoinput Name:AutoInput Action Timeout (Seconds):1 ]
A7: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:3 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A8: AutoInput Global Action [ Configuration:Action: Back Package:com.joaomgcd.autoinput Name:AutoInput Global Action Timeout (Seconds):3 ]
A9: Else
A10: Notify [ Title:GPS Text:GPS is already enabled Icon:cust_warning Number:0 Permanent:Off Priority:3 ]
A11: End If

AutoInput is really good for handling these types of operations.  A must have plugin for Tasker in my opinion.

Евгений Кубичек

Oct 15, 2015, 1:49:24 AM10/15/15
to Tasker
Sadly It is not working on samsung galaxy s5 mini duos (sm-g800h) android 5.1.1. I wrote this in the xda thread. Maybe author can fix it.

Francisco A. Ruiz-Avilés

Oct 26, 2015, 5:09:59 PM10/26/15
to Tasker
What I will do since I notice no improvement, is to downgrade to KitKat 4.4.4, wich was really stable and very tasker-friendly, and will root again. F**ck google and its policies.

Dale Smith

Oct 27, 2015, 1:04:06 PM10/27/15
to Tasker
I agree. Google's supposed OS updates have only been extreme disappointments for me. I never would have updated if I hadn't been nagged in to submission by the f**cking update popups that you can't stop. Arrogant SOBs. At least Apple gives you the option to update. My next phone will either be Apple or maybe Windows. Google is taking away the features that you bought the phone for in the first place.

Marta Hintz

Oct 27, 2015, 4:31:48 PM10/27/15
to Tasker
Of topic, but with a Google search you could have found how to d/c that irritating popup for updates. Just Google by type of phone.

Dale Smith

Oct 28, 2015, 11:40:23 AM10/28/15
to Tasker
Sorry about being off topic but your wrong. I talked to both Verizon and Samsung and both said that it was an OS issue and that I should talk to Google. You wouldn't know of a way to do that I don't know about do you?

Marta Hintz

Oct 29, 2015, 2:24:25 PM10/29/15
to Tasker
Well I was able to for my note 3 and husband note 4. Sorry there isn't anything for you. I have Verizon too.

itm

Nov 8, 2015, 1:22:28 PM11/8/15
to Tasker
Mobile Data on/off isn't working for me either, on a rooted LG G4 (Android 5.1). I've tried Secure Settings and also the Toggle Mobile Data 5.0 app from XDA.
The AutoInput option sounds a bit clunky (and perhaps not terribly reliable). Has anyone found a better solution for the G4?
I basically want to turn Mobile Data off whenever I'm at home, as my wifi connection often drops for no apparent reason and I end up using my mobile data allowance inadvertently.

Lorenzo

Nov 9, 2015, 5:17:16 AM11/9/15
to Tasker
Use the shell command with root option to enable/disable mobile data service
svc data enable/disable
It works on LG G3

itm

Nov 9, 2015, 6:28:41 AM11/9/15
to Tasker
That's brilliant - it works! Many thanks

Lorenzo

Nov 11, 2015, 5:43:58 AM11/11/15
to Tasker
Glad to help.
Remember that works only on rooted phones so upon moving to marshmallow we have to wait for a root method before upgrading otherwise the feature is lost.
Blame on google that not created and API to turn on/off mobile data as is possible for WIFI.
Message has been deleted

How's your spider?

Nov 12, 2015, 9:49:28 AM11/12/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

If it works on simulation but not in a profile a reboot of the phone usually fixes it for me that may be a start

On Nov 12, 2015 8:32 AM, "TwinkleToes" <gygabyt...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Monday, November 9, 2015 at 12:17:16 PM UTC+2, Lorenzo wrote:
Use the shell command with root option to enable/disable mobile data service
svc data enable/disable
It works on LG G3

Ok, right know i'm pissed....I'm running SlimLP 5.1.1 and for the love of god i can't make it to switch on or off mobile data (latest tasker). Tried toggle data 5.0(root), tried shell comands with root , again does not work automatially.If i simulte the task it works but not in a profile. What the hell is the problem ?? Need some help please !!

TwinkleToes

Nov 12, 2015, 10:02:52 AM11/12/15
to Tasker
Already tried that several times :(

Jacob Taylor

Nov 17, 2015, 9:14:17 AM11/17/15
to Tasker
Yea I made one of my apps off of that. Requires autoinput but does the mobile settings toggle with a click. Like a widget. Works good on the Samsungs and new lgs. Tasker is one of the most powerful apps I have used. You can tailor the autoinput and Tasker to do this on Lollipop since it was removed by Google....for some reason.

Haken Panoma

Feb 12, 2016, 3:48:44 PM2/12/16
to Tasker
Use the app Toggle Data 5.0. Android 5.0 and up disabled the ability for apps to toggle data.

Oz born again Oz

Nassos Kranidiotis

May 3, 2016, 7:42:17 AM5/3/16
to Tasker
Despite the fact that I have rooted my Samsung Galaxy S4 I9505 / Android version 5.0.1 Mobile Data does not work.
Thus, I suppose the developer should remove this option from the app and keep only what is actually working.

Pent

May 5, 2016, 7:04:43 AM5/5/16
to Tasker
When you try to use it it refers to root and using secure settings. Although some people misunderstand
and think 'if I root I can use Tasker's Mobile Data action', I still think having the action there and
redirecting is more useful.

Pent

No Way

Aug 5, 2016, 12:59:44 PM8/5/16
to Tasker
Using the shell command is really an option (root needed)... it works on my Lollipop (Wiko Rainbow JAM):

1. Create a new action
2. Select "Code"
3. Select "Run Shell"
4. In the Command field, enter "svc data enable" or "svc data disable"
5. Check the "Use Root" box.

Lionel

Aug 22, 2016, 5:26:30 AM8/22/16
to Tasker
Hello :)
I confirm that this solution works on rooted devices (even with systemless root) however it might be needed to set linux to permissive mode
i.e. add lines "setenforce 0;" and "setenforce 1;" before and after the command.

dennis garber

Aug 30, 2016, 10:44:52 PM8/30/16
to Tasker
Android ducks, as does linux. . Everything is security, so you can't use your own computer. . Used windows without a single AV since 1988, never got one virus. . Just stay out of Warez. Just use PEGuard. . Just enjoy a computer you can do 100 things you can't on linux or apple.

Pent

Aug 31, 2016, 5:53:10 AM8/31/16
to Tasker

Everything is security,  so you can't use your own computer.

I can certainly agree with this sentiment as regards recent changes involving
writing to SD on Android :-)

Pent

Joshua Van Der Merwe

Nov 3, 2016, 2:10:06 PM11/3/16
to Tasker
Hey bud, I don't know if this is still relevant and/or this solution has been given yet... As an action, choose "code", "run shell", and then type "svc data enable" as a command (or disable).

Ian Manning

Nov 3, 2016, 2:14:31 PM11/3/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for that - I think that was how I got around it in the end!

woorschtsupp wasauchimmer

Jan 10, 2017, 2:17:33 AM1/10/17
to Tasker
not sure this is written somewhere here (is it just me that finds this "forum" quite a mess? where is the "expand all" button?)

plus, to check the current state of the setting do:
run shell - "setting get global mobile_data" - store output in a variable (I think use root needs to be checked - I checked it ...)

in my opinion that makes toggle data unnecesary (toggle data also requires root). The only benefit of "toggle data" is the widget which refreshs automatically however I assume that "automatically" eats battery

--> I never want to trigger by this setting (mobile data) but rather want to read the setting whenever something else happens (e. g. display off) so it is good enough to be able to read it when I need it.

Hardik Oza

Apr 1, 2017, 4:18:19 AM4/1/17
to Tasker
Hey,

Just need to put that code only, anything else needs to be put in that screen?

Will it work with Nexus 5 and Android 5+

Thanks in advance