Tasker Profile no longer sending emails

Rex Phelan

Aug 29, 2017, 11:45:44 AM8/29/17
to Tasker
Background:

Samsung Galaxy S8+ running Android version 7.0 on the Verizon network
Tasker version: 5.0u4M
Mail apps: MailTask and SendSilentMail

Problem: I have two Tasker Profiles; one emails the battery logs and another emails a copy of the the Tasker backup file: backup.xml. Before I transitioned to the Samsung Galaxy S8+ I was using the Note 3; the Profiles worked great on the Note 3 now they are not working on the S8+.

Does anyone have issues sending email using Taker regardless of which email plugin your using. I have contacted the developer of MailTask and he/she was unable to figure out why the app is not working; the developer of SendSilentMail does not reply to requests for assistance. Even when I execute the profile manually Tasker still does not send the email via either mail plugin.

Any help/suggestions will be helpful.

In addition, the option to export Profiles to application is not present on the current version of Tasker. I even downgraded Tasker and still unable to export to app.

Baud

Aug 30, 2017, 12:22:39 PM8/30/17
to Tasker
I'm on Nougat 7.1.2 and Tasker  5.0.u5 and use "Email from Tasker" which works great from now > check it on play store
Hope that helps

Vernon

Aug 30, 2017, 2:53:45 PM8/30/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Baud,

I will give it a whirl and let your know if it works.

On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 12:22 PM, Baud <baud...@baudbox.fr> wrote:
I'm on Nougat 7.1.2 and Tasker  5.0.u5 and use "Email from Tasker" which works great from now > check it on play store
Hope that helps

This email is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise exempt from disclosure. If the reader of this email is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Vernon

Sep 2, 2017, 5:42:18 PM9/2/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Baud,

I tried the app and every time I attempt to attach a file the app keep crashing. Any suggestions on how to solve this new issue on top of Tasker's inability to send email using a Profile.

Baudouin MARBACH

Sep 3, 2017, 7:25:13 AM9/3/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I didn't test the attachment file option as I'm not using this option on my hand  but it's also crashing. Sorry Sir, it's a dead end indeed.

Vernon

Sep 3, 2017, 8:22:13 AM9/3/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Ah! I wonder if there is no longer a way to email with attachments using Tasker or any of the plug-in. Its sad that such a critical feature is now gone.

Rex Phelan

Oct 16, 2017, 9:28:48 AM10/16/17
to Tasker
Does anyone know when the developer will fix this issue where Tasker no longer sends emails when the app is running on Android 7.0? I really need this to work as I email a number of logs from Tasker.

Sean Williams

Oct 16, 2017, 9:40:57 AM10/16/17
to Tasker
Does anyone know when the developer will fix this issue where Tasker no longer sends emails when the app is running on Android 7.0? I really need this to work as I email a number of logs from Tasker.

Fix the plugin? Tasker doesn't send email natively.

Have you tried emailing the plugin developer or using another option such as K9 or AquaMail?

Vernon

Oct 16, 2017, 3:14:05 PM10/16/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I tried multiple mail apps and still getting the same issue. Also I can run the same Profile on my Note 3 and not getting the same issue. So the issue is not the mail apps but Tasker running on my Samsung S8+ not being able to send email using the mail plugins.

Sean Williams

Oct 16, 2017, 6:28:22 PM10/16/17
to Tasker
I tried multiple mail apps and still getting the same issue. Also I can run the same Profile on my Note 3 and not getting the same issue. So the issue is not the mail apps but Tasker running on my Samsung S8+ not being able to send email using the mail plugins.

So you have confirmed the issue is on Android 7.0+ and is limited to only when sending file attachments?

Vernon

Oct 17, 2017, 8:01:12 AM10/17/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
It does not send emails at all

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 6:28 PM, Sean Williams <trendyte...@gmail.com> wrote:
I tried multiple mail apps and still getting the same issue. Also I can run the same Profile on my Note 3 and not getting the same issue. So the issue is not the mail apps but Tasker running on my Samsung S8+ not being able to send email using the mail plugins.

So you have confirmed the issue is on Android 7.0+ and is limited to only when sending file attachments?

Scott Miller

Oct 17, 2017, 9:24:44 AM10/17/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I am able to send emails using Mail Task and Tasker on Android 7. Double check your configuration. Try uninstalling and reinstalling. If you got a new phone and simply allowed Android to restore everything, it may have been installed in the wrong order. Tasker should always be installed before any plugins are installed.

Scott M.

Vernon

Oct 17, 2017, 3:10:51 PM10/17/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I installed Tasker first before any plugins. What I will do is uninstall Tasker and the MailTask then re-install Tasker and then the plugin. What device are u using.

Scott Miller

Oct 17, 2017, 3:31:51 PM10/17/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I checked this on a Nexus 6. When I get a chance, I'll also check it on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 3, also on Android 7. I may have already done so, but I need to look more thoroughly to know. I don't have the 8. This could easily be a device conflict.

Scott M.

Vernon

Oct 17, 2017, 7:04:48 PM10/17/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank yiou very much for ur diligent effort to assist with this issue. U could be right., it could be a device issue. But that would be odd.

Scott Miller

Oct 17, 2017, 9:59:06 PM10/17/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I checked this using my Samsung tablet, and it also worked. But then I thought about it a bit. I was using a gmail account to send on both devices. I also have two other email accounts configured. One with outlook.com and one with my cable provider. I can't get email to be delivered from either one. Since I don't get any feedback within Mail Task about what is wrong, I can't easily troubleshoot. I thought perhaps I had my SMTP accounts configured incorrectly, so I set them up again. Still no luck. Next I disabled the SSL setting for the SMTP port and it worked.  So it seems that the SSL/TLS and STARTTLS settings in Mail Task do not work correctly. I used exactly the same options in Outlook and that works fine. Perhaps Marco will see this and add some comments. I know he does follow this forum.

What type of email account are you using, and if you need to configure the SMTP, what type of connection are you trying to use?

Scott

Vernon

Oct 18, 2017, 7:45:49 AM10/18/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks you for assisting with the issue. I am using a GMAIL account and for the SMTP I am also using a gmail account.

Scott Miller

Oct 18, 2017, 7:55:33 AM10/18/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Not sure I have anything more to add, then, except to double check your configuration. With a gmail account, you don't need to setup a smtp server. You just need to be sure your gmail account is defined on the phone. The correct gmail account that matches the email address you are using. Everything works for me on both devices with my gmail account. I don't know if using a different gmail account works with a configured smtp server or not. I don't have that situation, so I can't test.

Scott M.

Vernon

Oct 18, 2017, 10:05:46 AM10/18/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for trying. The funny thing is when I was on my Note 3 I did not have to have the gmail account on my phone in order to send email via Tasker. I will try some more troubleshooting on my end but I am getting frustrated with this.

Vernon

Oct 19, 2017, 7:51:56 AM10/19/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Scott,

I tried to use SMTP and still could not get it to work. Seems like this is a bigger issue that makes no sense why it would not work. Getting very frustrated with the lack of support from the developers. Anyways, I think we can close this down; I have tried multiple avenues and it still does not work.

Thanks for all of your assistance.

Scott Miller

Oct 19, 2017, 11:34:40 PM10/19/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I've been in direct contact with the developer of MailTask, specifically about it not working with ssl/tls. He indicated he would send me a debug version to help diagnose that problem. I don't have it, yet, and don't know when I'll get it, but perhaps that will get this problem solved.

Scott M.

Vernon

Oct 20, 2017, 8:43:03 AM10/20/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Scott,

I appreciate ur diligent effort in this. Please keep me informed of your progress. Odd that no one else seem to have reported the issue.

Vernon

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 11:34 PM, Scott Miller <sjmill...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've been in direct contact with the developer of MailTask, specifically about it not working with ssl/tls. He indicated he would send me a debug version to help diagnose that problem. I don't have it, yet, and don't know when I'll get it, but perhaps that will get this problem solved.

Scott M.

Scott Miller

Oct 21, 2017, 6:59:23 PM10/21/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I wouldn't have reported it, either, because it was working for me with my gmail account. But I was just successful using both of my other accounts, so stay tuned for an app update. I don't know how long it will be before he releases it, but I would expect it soon.

I don't think you ever answered my question about your configuration. Are you using ssl/tls encryption? This is where my problem was, but it's working now. If not, then you might have a different problem.

Scott M.

Vernon

Oct 23, 2017, 7:57:22 AM10/23/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Scott,

Thanks for the update.

"Are you using ssl/tls encryption? This is where my problem was, but it's working now. If not, then you might have a different problem." I tried it with and without both and it did not work; that was last week and I have not tried it since. I'll try it later today and let you. I am surprised you got this far with the developer. I tried reaching out to the developer but did not get too far. \

Thanks.

Vernon

Oct 30, 2017, 1:29:49 PM10/30/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Scott,

Hope you doing well. Any word from the developer?

Scott Miller

Oct 30, 2017, 3:03:27 PM10/30/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The update was released last week. Did you get it? It's working for me.

Scott

Vernon

Oct 30, 2017, 8:50:24 PM10/30/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Let me see if I can download it. What version is the new update?

Regards,

Vernon
-----------------------
Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Samsung Galaxy S8. Please excuse any typos and quick responses.

Vernon

Nov 27, 2017, 2:55:23 PM11/27/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Scott,

Its been a while. Does ur MailTasks still work?

Regards,

Vernon

Scott Miller

Nov 27, 2017, 4:56:34 PM11/27/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Don't know. I don't send email very often with Tasker. I receive email with it, and for what I use it for, mail task is still working for me.

Scott

Vernon

Nov 27, 2017, 7:13:35 PM11/27/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Ok. I have not gotten it to work . I think this is a bust.