alert if tablet isn't charging after 15 mins

marklyn3500

Jun 30, 2015, 12:57:12 PM6/30/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I'd like tasker to monitor when my tablet hasn't been charging after 15 minutes and alert me.
I've checked out batt level variable but don't like that because it may take awhile, depending on what's running, to meet a given threshold.

This is for a tablet that is normally docked by the bedside so if it's not charging after about 15 mins then I didn't place it back in the cradle properly and want to be notified.
Also, is it possible to text/email this as well as notify via audio alert?

easiuser

Jun 30, 2015, 3:49:31 PM6/30/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Just create a profile with the context power->any, tick invert and name it BatteryPower.  For the entry task you would have something like this.

wait 15 minutes
stop if %PACTIVE !~ *,BatteryPower,*
alert with media file or whatever
Send SMS
Goto 1 (if you want to alert again in 15 minutes

Set the properties of the entry task to "abort existing task" so the 15 minutes will start over again if you plug it back in and then remove it before the 15 minutes is up.

I don't think an Email is not possible without a plugin (like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stedo.sendsilentmail ) or running an SL4A script.

Scott

Jul 1, 2015, 9:22:21 AM7/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
The way easiuser set it up is how I'd do it, too.

You might want to look into AutoRemote.  It's a way to send information or files between Android devices with Tasker.

Brad Minion

Jul 1, 2015, 9:32:21 AM7/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
You can also use the Pushbullet plugin to send notifications between devices. Since my table is a Wifi only tablet, Tasker's Send SMS action doesn't work. Even though I can send SMS messages via my default SMS app Verizon Message+. The Pushbullet plugin did the trick.

marklyn3500

Jul 1, 2015, 10:20:07 AM7/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
That is exactly my situation.  I was hoping to find a way tasker could send a sms via Verizon Message+ but I haven't been able to do it.  I'll look into pushbullet so thanks for that.
I just need a way for my wifi tablet to notify me, aside from maybe an audible alert, that it's not being charged.

marklyn3500

Jul 1, 2015, 10:27:12 AM7/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Brad, can you tell me how you set this up? I'm not understanding pushbullet's description.  Does it launch a sms via Verizon's message+ ?

Brad Minion

Jul 1, 2015, 11:03:07 AM7/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Brad, can you tell me how you set this up? I'm not understanding pushbullet's description.  Does it launch a sms via Verizon's message+ ?

First, you need Pushbullet on both devices. You may also need to setup Pushbullet as an administrator. I'm not sure about that but that's how I have it set.
It doesn't send an SMS but, instead, just sends a notification. It's the best I could do. In my profile I want it to remind me to plug in the tablet when the battery gets low. Here is my profile.

Profile: ChargeMe (5)
State: Not Power [Source:Any]
State: Battery Level [From:0 To:20]
Enter: ChargeMeEn (4)
A1: Push A Notification [Configuration:Push a note titled "Plug in tablet" with message "Tablet Package:com.android Name:Push A Notification Timeout (Seconds:0]

This isn't showing the actual message sent which is "Tablet battery is at nn%".

Scott

Jul 1, 2015, 5:31:17 PM7/1/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I do something similar with AutoRemote.  Every time I wake up my phone it sends an AutoRemote message to my tablet asking for its battery level and whether or not it's charging.  The tablet gets that message and sends back the battery level and charging status.  My phone takes that message and sets a variable that's used in a Minimalistic Text widget.  So my tablet's battery level and charging status are right there on my home screen of my phone.  It does all that "silently" with no notifications, SMS messages or emails that I have to acknowledge or delete.

If the tablet's battery ever gets below 20% it sends a message to my phone that the battery is low.  My phone then makes a persistent (can't be swiped away) notification that only gets dismissed when the tablet is charging and/or above 20%.

As a bonus I can verify that my home power is on and WiFi is working remotely.  If it sets the battery level correctly then I know the power is on at my house.

Once you start communicating between Android devices, no matter how you do it, you end up finding all sorts of stupid tablet tricks.  I can have my tablet take a picture, send it to my phone which will display it in a notification.  I also have it set up so I can type stuff in and have my tablet "say" it.  That's not terribly useful but kind of fun to play with.

marklyn3500

Jul 2, 2015, 4:49:47 PM7/2/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
So I figured out a basic task that does what I need.
If the tablet doesn't have power for 10+ seconds it triggers an audible alarm and the wallpaper turns red.
This doesn't change until fix the power or it dies, whichever comes first :)
10 seconds is short for most people but this is a tablet that should be connected to power 24/7 since it's a bedside tablet and alarm clock.
Profile: battery and state=no power any --> Not Charging task

Not Charging task:

A1: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:10 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A2: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:12 Label: ] If [ %PACTIVE !~ *,battery,* ]
A3: Notification Volume [ Level:5 Display:Off Sound:Off ]
A4: Display Timeout [ Secs:0 Mins:1 Hours:0 ]
A5: Set Wallpaper [ Image:wallpapers solid colors/Red.jpg Scale:Off Crop:Off ]
A6: Display Brightness [ Level:100 Disable Safeguard:Off Ignore Current Level:Off Immediate Effect:Off ]
A7: Play Ringtone [ Type:Notification Sound:Pollux Stream:5 ]
A8: [X] Popup [ Title:Battery Text:On Battery Power Background Image: Layout:Popup Timeout (Seconds):15 Show Over Keyguard:On ]
A9: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:3 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]
A10: Play Ringtone [ Type:Notification Sound:Pollux Stream:5 ]
A11: Goto [ Type:Action Number Number:7 Label: ] If [ %PACTIVE ~ *,battery,* ]
A12: Wait [ MS:0 Seconds:1 Minutes:0 Hours:0 Days:0 ]