Re: How to trigger task with an external keyboard?

TomL

Jan 22, 2013, 8:12:29 AM1/22/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Tasker cannot detect keypresses.  Unless an app is an Input Method Editor app (like the stock keyboard, or Swype or SwiftKey, etc), it cannot monitor keypresses.

Tom

On Sunday, January 20, 2013 6:05:01 PM UTC-5, Rezl wrote:
I'm attempting to use a keypress on an external keyboard to trigger a task for a specific gaming interface I'm developing. Tasker can emulate keypresses, but I'm unable to find a way for it to detect a keypress, or modify a keyboard layout to send events Tasker will recognize to trigger tasks. How can I make this possible?

Matt R

Jan 22, 2013, 11:58:22 AM1/22/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Is it a keyboard that possibly has Android-specific keys?  If you can perform a "search long-press" or "camera button press" from the keyboard, Tasker can detect those.

Matt

Rezl

Jan 22, 2013, 1:09:49 PM1/22/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tom and Matt! I'm still working on this.

It's actually a MakeyMakey (Arduino). I will investigate if the board can emulate those functions.

Rezl

Jan 22, 2013, 3:56:40 PM1/22/13
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I posted a more detailed blueprint of what I'm trying to accomplish here.
I may have to find a way to edit the Arduino instead.

Jorge Rodriguez

Jun 5, 2014, 4:20:26 PM6/5/14
to tas...@googlegroups.com
No progress on this front? This seems so basic, why would Tasker not be able to detect keyboard strokes? I am specifically trying to program for the Amazon FireTV, and need to be able to interact with the Fire's remote directional keys.