How strong is BT signal?

Bill DeWitt

Sep 6, 2021, 4:51:37 PM9/6/21
to Tasker
I don't see a way to test for the strength of multiple BlueTooth signals around me.

I have all my old phones posted around my house as clock/notifiers/note takers etc. I would like to use my current phone to occasionally read those other phone's BT signal strength so that it could make a guess as to which room it is in.

Will Tasker do that?

jmjc...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2021, 9:46:58 PM9/9/21
to Tasker
I had a similar use case some time ago (last year), I found no solution for getting signal strength for paired/connected devices. I ended up unparing those devices and using some Java code, I could get the signal strength. Are your old phones paired/connected to your current phone?

Baerdric

Sep 10, 2021, 10:07:44 PM9/10/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Well, none of them have to be for any reason. I think I tried to pair one to see if that opened up more options or something.

I haven't used Java (did the code academy and then abandoned it). Is the code self contained or do I have to know what I'm doing? And would you mind sharing it?

João Dias

Sep 13, 2021, 5:59:29 AM9/13/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi. Maybe you can try the BT Info action?

Thank you for your contact.

   Join: connect multiple devices (send pushes, remote SMS, notifications) on Android, Windows, Mac, Linux
   Tasker: customize/automate anything on your phone!
   AutoApps: add advanced functionality to Tasker via plugins

João Dias

Baerdric

Sep 13, 2021, 6:35:06 AM9/13/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi João,
I got that to work on a connected device, but not as a general scan of various devices.

jmjc...@gmail.com

Sep 13, 2021, 8:25:20 PM9/13/21
to Tasker
If the devices are NOT connected, you can use the Bluetooth Info action and select scan devices. It should return various variables, including the signal strength that you are interested, for the nearby devices.

Baerdric

Sep 14, 2021, 8:44:00 AM9/14/21
to tas...@googlegroups.com
OK, I must have been doing something wrong. I wonder if there's a difference between other phones and stand-alone devices, like headsets.
I'll spend some time today checking it out. Thanks for your reply.