How to create new task for power saving

Nick

Feb 10, 2016, 3:50:01 AM2/10/16
to Tasker
Hi,

I've managed to set up a couple of profiles,which are working fine. However, I'm stuck with a couple of new ones I'd like to action.

I have a dedicated phone in my car glovebox for music, podcasts etc. It's powered all the time the car is switched on, but I'd like to conserve power when the car is switched off by making the phone go into power saving mode. These are the settings I'd like to automate:

1. When USB power is off, switch phone into power save mode
2. When battery level is 5%, switch phone off

It would also be great to be able to switch the phone back on when USB power is restored, but I understand that this is not possible.

Any step by step help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Nick

Dale Smith

Feb 11, 2016, 11:15:57 AM2/11/16
to Tasker
Probably best done with two profiles. One with power context and one with a battery context each with its own task to power save or turn off.

Nick

Feb 11, 2016, 11:46:48 AM2/11/16
to Tasker
Thanks Dale - that's what I'm planning on doing, but I can't find where to start. For example, I don't see an option to select "switch on power saving mode". Any pointers gratefully received!

Kurt Kaufman

Feb 12, 2016, 6:00:34 PM2/12/16
to Tasker
I recently inquired about setting the power saver mode but was told it probably requires either a plugin (perhaps autoinput) or a shell script on a rooted phone. Hoping this is not true, but I suspect it might be.
Would be interested to hear any other suggestions.

Dale Smith

Feb 13, 2016, 10:27:12 AM2/13/16
to Tasker
I was able to set my phone to power saving mode but I needed to use AutoInput. IMHO it's a must have plugin for Tasker. When you say switch phone off do you mean power down? If so then I don't think Tasker has a action for that.

Jean Dowe

Feb 13, 2016, 9:09:00 PM2/13/16
to Tasker
So people know enough to find this tasker discussion group but not enough to do a simple google search?

Run Shell

settings put global low_power 1

I'm not trying to be an ass, I truly wonder how people don't google first. And everyone is so quick to say, "maybe a plugin". We all remember that android is linux based and has a shell that you can throw commands at, right?

Rich D

Feb 14, 2016, 7:56:10 AM2/14/16
to Tasker Google Groups Post

  When you say switch phone off do you mean power down?  If so then I don't think Tasker has a action for that.

Action / system / reboot / shut down.

I think it requires root,,

Kurt Kaufman

Feb 14, 2016, 8:42:22 AM2/14/16
to Tasker
Jean, thanks for your reply. I'm assuming that the phone does not have to be rooted to run shell scripts? If true, can you recommend a tutorial for those unfamiliar with the methods by which we can incorporate scripts into Tasker?
Thanks

Rich D

Feb 14, 2016, 10:07:32 AM2/14/16
to Tasker Google Groups Post

> Jean, thanks for your reply. I'm assuming that the phone does not have to be rooted to run shell scripts?

You do not need root to run a shell script, However some shell commands do require root. The best way is just to try it.

If true, can you recommend a tutorial for those unfamiliar with the methods by which we can incorporate scripts into Tasker?

I think you missed jeans hint about 'search'.  A google search for 'video how to run shell in tasker' seems to be very revealing..

In other words with a minimal amount of searching you should be able to piece together a task or profile to accomplish what to are trying to do. If you get stuck then post here for help. Include the exported profile or task description along with details on exactly what you are trying to do along with what you have tried and what is and is not working.

To post your profile or task here...  Long press on the profile or task name / ( 3 dot menu with 4.0+ ) export / export "DESCRIPTION" to clipboard (not XML)

Any linked tasks will be exported with the profile they are linked to..

To be able to export, The beginner mode needs to be off and the profile needs to be named by you (Not the Tasker listed name.  Tasker will list your profile with the context name if you have not given it one).