Android 8.0 - Take Photo causes reboot.

shur...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2017, 8:08:48 PM8/21/17
to Tasker
I just updated to android 8.0 and it seems that whenever the task 'Take Photo' runs, my phone reboots.

Anyone else having this?

Pent

Aug 22, 2017, 3:00:24 AM8/22/17
to Tasker
> I just updated to android 8.0 and it seems that whenever the task 'Take Photo' runs, my phone reboots.'

I advise you not to use that action then.

Of course, it shouldn't be possible that an app can cause an unwanted reboot, especially when just using
public Android APIs, that's an OS problem.

Pent

shur...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2017, 12:29:12 PM8/22/17
to Tasker
Well that's helpful advice. thanks. It shouldn't, and yet...it does.

Happens on my Pixel XL and a friends Nexus 6p.

Pent

Aug 22, 2017, 1:01:55 PM8/22/17
to Tasker

Well that's helpful advice. thanks.

Assuming that's sarcasm: the method to take the screenshot
uses published, documented Android functions. If those functions in some combination cause
a reboot on some devices, is that my fault or the developer of Android ?
Who would be best placed to fix it ?

Pent

shur...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2017, 1:09:26 PM8/22/17
to Tasker
It's not the action to take a screenshot, its the action to take a photo...with the camera.

I assume the developer of Android made changes in 8.0 causing the issue...lol? Though, I'm not claiming to know that as fact, so I wasn't really making any sort of claim as to who would be 'best' to fix it.

But, "Well just don't do that" isn't really productive advice. lol

I haven't really gotten around to testing other actions so far.

Pent

Aug 22, 2017, 1:39:31 PM8/22/17
to Tasker
Sorry, misread because there havn't been such problems with camera before, but recently
with take screenshot. Please disregard previous message :-)

What's your device ? Are you talking about the official Google ROM ?

Pent

shur...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2017, 3:52:52 PM8/22/17
to Tasker
Yeah, fresh install from Google's factory image. (on both devices I've confirmed the issue on. Pixel and Nexus 6p)

Are there debug log options I can enable? I thought I saw some options for that. I could post logs of those.

shur...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2017, 4:12:13 PM8/22/17
to Tasker
Okay. relevant debug log.

https://pastebin.com/pmHG0NG9

Pent

Aug 23, 2017, 10:30:19 AM8/23/17
to Tasker

Okay. relevant debug log.

https://pastebin.com/pmHG0NG9

Thanks.

Very strange, the picture was taken just fine, the log cuts off abrupty when actually the
task is finished executing, implying the problem is likely to come up with other actions
too.

Could you maybe provide a bug report I can see sooner what Android is saying:

http://tasker.dinglisch.net/userguide/en/faqs/faq-how.html#x

In any case, I'll update my 8.0 beta device and see if I can reproduce this.

Pent

Pent

Aug 23, 2017, 10:44:44 AM8/23/17
to Tasker
Nevermind, I can reproduce this, but only with the Discrete parameter enabled.
I recommend you disable it :-)

Will try and find out what it is about Discrete that 8.0 doesn't like.

Pent

shur...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2017, 3:48:31 PM8/23/17
to Tasker
Thanks!

Pent

Aug 24, 2017, 9:56:55 AM8/24/17
to Tasker
Should work next update also with Discrete (does on my Pixel C anyway)

Sorry for the initial confusion.

Pent

shur...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2017, 12:30:34 PM8/24/17
to Tasker
Nah, it happens. Thanks a lot for your trouble.