Tasker Detetected Wrong Location While Location Services Were Off

Erlee del Orbe

Aug 25, 2016, 10:34:14 AM8/25/16
to Tasker
Hello Tasker Community,

Long time user, first time reaching out for support.  Just this morning, while location services were turned off, Tasker placed me on the wrong side of town which then triggered a task (that sends a message).

How can Tasker get into a location context when location services are turned off.  Below are the details.

This is the context and tasks I have setup:

Context:
Days of Week: Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs, Fri.
Time: 5:15AM to 6:15AM
Location: [my local gym]

Task:
Send Text Message to my work buddy.

So suddenly I get a text message from my buddy replying to a text I sent him.

Tasker sent the message even though I am at home.  When I go into Tasker

Robert Ryan

Aug 25, 2016, 12:33:55 PM8/25/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com

On August 25, 2016 8:34:17 AM Erlee del Orbe <leete...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Long time user, first time reaching out for support.  Just this morning, *while
> location services were turned off*, Tasker placed me on the wrong side of

> town which then triggered a task (that sends a message).

Because the location services are off the various location variables cannot update and they retain the values they had the last time they were updated. So when the time context fired, Tasker checked the location variables and used the outdated values it found there to determine your location.

Erlee del Orbe

Aug 25, 2016, 2:33:39 PM8/25/16
to Tasker
I think I can see how that is probably what happened.

I first turned off location mode and data since my battery was very low.  Then placed my phone (Samsung S7) into ultra power saving mode.

After I left the gym, I turned off ultra power saving mode but never reactivated location services.

Thank you!!

Erlee del Orbe

Aug 25, 2016, 2:48:06 PM8/25/16
to Tasker
This all happened at the Gym and so that is why the variables last remembered the gym location as my last location.

It just happens that I have a task setup for that same gym so when the time came, the task triggered.