Switching Live WP with Tasker

Logan Fury

Nov 30, 2016, 8:02:43 AM11/30/16
to Tasker
Hello,

Im trying to have a task set a different live WP than the one I normally run. I found and followed this thread:

and this is the export of the task I created:

Live Bubbles Test (86)
A1: Flash [ Text:Bubbles loaded Long:Off ]
A2: Run Shell [ Command:service call wallpaper 2 i32 1 s16 "com.xllusion.livewallpaper.bubble" s16 "com.xllusion.livewallpaper.bubble. WallpaperService" Timeout (Seconds):0 Use Root:Off Store Output In: Store Errors In: Store Result In: ]

When I test this task I get the green light by step 2 as if everything went fine, but when I exit out of tasker to my homescreen or any other screen I find my old wallpaper still running and the bubbles live wallpaper has not been set as WP as it should have.

Im on the dreaded Note3/Lollipop OS combo for this initial test. Ill move the Tasker profiles over to my Note4/Kitkat platform as soon as ive gotten some sleep lol. Can anyone offer any advice on obvious mistakes ive made here that I cant see?

Thank you very much for reading,

Logan

My-kl

Nov 30, 2016, 6:01:42 PM11/30/16
to Tasker
When I was using live wallpapers I had Tasker change it through another app. Wallpapyrus, I think. I didn't try shell commands.

Logan Fury

Nov 30, 2016, 6:53:28 PM11/30/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you My-kl, ill search for that app on the Play Store.

On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 3:01 PM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
When I was using live wallpapers I had Tasker change it through another app. Wallpapyrus, I think. I didn't try shell commands.

Logan Fury

Nov 30, 2016, 6:55:12 PM11/30/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Ive found the app, but wouldnt Tasker  just open this to its configuration settings?

My-kl

Dec 1, 2016, 4:40:53 AM12/1/16
to Tasker
It didn't for me. At the time I had Tasker switching between about 10 different wallpapers. I set the live wallpaper with Wallpapyrus. It might mean you can only control one live wallpaper, but I MIGHT have had 2 live ones in there. I'm sorry, but this was about 3 years ago so my recollection is a bit poor.

Logan Fury

Dec 1, 2016, 4:48:31 AM12/1/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hi My-kl,

Thats encouraging news, with other WP managers or just stand alone WPs I keep getting taken to the settings instead of just getting a wallpaper launch. Ill start experiments with the app you suggested right away, Ive been in the hospital for a few hours so that cut into my phone playtime but im free to test and troubleshoot now.

Logan Fury

Dec 1, 2016, 4:57:07 AM12/1/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Ive installed wallpapyrus, created a Task, selected launch app, and wallpapyrus is not in the apps list. I used the "all" button at the bottom of the tasker screen and it still doesnt show as a selectable app. Not sure what to do now. Have you got any old profiles with this program that you could export?

My-kl

Dec 1, 2016, 7:09:27 AM12/1/16
to Tasker
No, I've deleted them all. I used to use another profile app. Sorry, I'm starting to remember stuff now! It was called Easy Profiles. I set profiles with that, and it could also control the live wallpapers through Wallpapyrus. I think. The problem is, I've just looked on Play for Easy Profiles and I can't find it. The logo was a brownish side view of a face. I guess the creator took it down.

To add to the annoyance, I got help to set this up on this very forum but my old posts all disappeared a few months ago, otherwise I'd have redirected you there at the start.

Logan Fury

Dec 1, 2016, 7:20:13 AM12/1/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate your desire to help very much. I'll see if I can find an archived install of Easy Profiles, and if I get lucky ill spend some time on it and look for any old help posts that may still be up.

Thanks again for the responses.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 4:09 AM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
No, I've deleted them all. I used to use another profile app. Sorry, I'm starting to remember stuff now! It was called Easy Profiles. I set profiles with that, and it could also control the live wallpapers through Wallpapyrus. I think. The problem is, I've just looked on Play for Easy Profiles and I can't find it. The logo was a brownish side view of a face. I guess the creator took it down.

To add to the annoyance, I got help to set this up on this very forum but my old posts all disappeared a few months ago, otherwise I'd have redirected you there at the start.

My-kl

Dec 1, 2016, 7:21:45 AM12/1/16
to Tasker
Let me know how it goes. I know how frustrating it is to be stuck on a project - it's happened to me many, many times!

Logan Fury

Dec 1, 2016, 7:24:41 AM12/1/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Right on.

So ive got google hits for the Easy Profile apk, and ive also found this on app store. Does this look like the continuation or latest version of what you used in the past?

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 4:21 AM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Let me know how it goes. I know how frustrating it is to be stuck on a project - it's happened to me many, many times!

My-kl

Dec 1, 2016, 7:45:27 AM12/1/16
to Tasker
That doesn't look anything like what I remember. Give it a go, maybe it will work.

Logan Fury

Dec 1, 2016, 7:50:08 AM12/1/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Cool, an adventure!

It seems to work based on customizable named profiles storing different WPs, volume levels, etc. Hopefully someone on a forum will know if its possible to establish control of the app thru Tasker.

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 4:45 AM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
That doesn't look anything like what I remember. Give it a go, maybe it will work.

My-kl

Dec 1, 2016, 8:45:56 AM12/1/16
to Tasker
I think the app I used functioned as a plugin.

Logan Fury

Dec 1, 2016, 8:47:39 AM12/1/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Im sure you are remembering the correct app. I found this on another page about live WP and Tasker:

Tasker itself can't change live wallpapers but an app is available on Play
called EasyProfiles, this can change live wallpapers and works as a plugin
to Tasker or inpedendently of Tasker. Its not free and I can't remember if
you need to be rooted.

Does this look like the version of Easy Profile that you used?

On Thu, Dec 1, 2016 at 5:45 AM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
I think the app I used functioned as a plugin.

My-kl

Dec 1, 2016, 1:42:53 PM12/1/16
to Tasker
I saw both those apps on Play, they don't look the same.

Sinan Ghareb

Dec 3, 2016, 5:11:12 PM12/3/16
to Tasker
This is the command that I have to set Wave live wallpaper active:

service call wallpaper 2 i32 1 s16 "wave.paperworld.wallpaper" s16 "wave.paperworld.wallpaper.WaveWallpaperService"

And it works every time. I did have a different command for a different live wallpaper, so each one has it's own way.

My-kl

Dec 6, 2016, 3:18:01 PM12/6/16
to Tasker
Any progress on this, Logan?

Logan Fury

Dec 6, 2016, 4:34:22 PM12/6/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Good Afternoon My-kl

Sorry to dissapear from the forums abruptly, but my roommate and I got approved for a beautiful double master bedroom townhouse in the more affluent west side of Las Vegas, and everything has been put on a backburner while Ive been physically moving.

I did get my Note 4/Kitkat phone just before the move and im going to begin experiments of everything that was problematical on the Note 3/Lollipop platform with the new phone. I anticipate either a lot more success or finding out the hard way that theres compatibility issues Note-wide.

I did want to experiment with rooting but I got a model A rather than a model T and there seem to be a bit less ROM options avail. Again something awaiting the completion of the move.

On Tue, Dec 6, 2016 at 12:18 PM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Any progress on this, Logan?

Logan Fury

Dec 7, 2016, 10:41:43 PM12/7/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello Sinan,

Ive downloaded the free version of Wave wallpaper but im unable to get this to work. If youve the time, may I ask you to install any free wallpaper from the playstore, post the URL to it, and Export your working profile with it?

Id love to install what someone else has working and see what my phones do with it!

Thank you

Logan Fury

Dec 12, 2016, 11:08:45 PM12/12/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Good Evening all,

Im back to working with the phones. Seeing syntax errors causing a problems before, Ive downloaded Package Name Viewer, and confirmed the package name of live wallpapers to experiment with. Ive also searched playstore for "Class Name Viewer" and "app class name viewer" and the only thing I found was Android Class Reference which isnt giving info on playstore apps.

How exactly do I determine the proper class name of a playstore app please?

Thanks for reading

Logan Fury

Dec 17, 2016, 2:07:27 AM12/17/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Im still at a dead stop with this. I cant find anywhere on the net how to properly get class names of specific apps, and that is part of the required code. I dont know what technique Sinan used in his example with Wave wallpaper to get the data for his string, but installing the free version of Wave and trying his task verbatim didnt change my wallpaper.

nanobrain

Dec 17, 2016, 1:20:42 PM12/17/16
to Tasker
If I understand you correctly, then :

Under APP > Test App

Select Package Name for Type, then select the looking glass. Select the app you are interested in, the the Data field will be populated with the package name
To unsubscribe from this group and all its topics, send an email to tasker+un...@googlegroups.com.

Logan Fury

Dec 17, 2016, 4:03:00 PM12/17/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning Nanobrain,

Ive installed an application that navigates quickly and easily to a list of package names for my applications. What I am missing is the second half of the necessary code, the CLASS name.

Looking at Sinan's provided code:

service call wallpaper 2 i32 1 s16 "wave.paperworld.wallpaper" s16 "wave.paperworld.wallpaper.WaveWallpaperService"

The first command in quotation marks "wave.paperworld.wallpaper" is the live wallpapers package name.

The second command in quotation marks is "wave.paperworld.wallpaper.Wave.WallpaperService". THIS is the "class name" and so far, no one in the thread that is properly using class names has revealed to me how they determined this information.

The wave wallpaper comes from this url:

The Package name can be determined from this url, but not the Class name. Ive looked on the web literally for weeks now, and I cant understand how the other Tasker users are finding these Class names.

As I said, without proper information, im dead in the water. Im thinking I need to start a new thread with "class names help" in the title, but I dont want to run into trouble here for doubleposting.

Logan Fury

Dec 18, 2016, 5:32:45 AM12/18/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
to anyone following this Pent has just given me the solution to determining the Class name of an apps services via a simple task. Pent's instructions:

"You can use Tasker's List Apps action (mode = services) and specify
the package name you want to look in as the Match (with * on both sides). That will give
you a list of the services in the package.

You need to put in the name of a variable array to store the results e.g. %out

Then you add an action to show the results e.g. Flash, and Text would be %out()
The brackets are to indicate showing all the values in the array."

Im about to try a few different live wallpapers with correct shell commands now and see if I can get any success. Ive also found in a related thread that starting in Lollipop OS the command changes from 2 to 3 in the beginning of the code.

Going to do my experiments on Note 4 w/Kitkat

Logan Fury

Dec 18, 2016, 6:11:36 AM12/18/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
well I cant explain it but neither my note 3/Lollipop nor my note 4/kitkat will recognize the shell command for changing live wallpaper. Ive used both the 2 and 3 version of commands on both platforms, and used the new get class task to confirm correct info for input. Ive tried with 3 diff live wallpapers from 3 diff authors at playstore. I cant understand the failure to work. I dont recall any of the tutorials requiring root, but I will be rooting my note 3 in a few days and trying again on the rooted platform.

This is really frustrating!

My-kl

Dec 18, 2016, 12:00:18 PM12/18/16
to Tasker
If all else fails you could try using emulated touch to fool the phone into thinking you're doing it manually. It needs root and the screen needs to be on though. Programming it will take a while and running the task will take quite a few seconds.

Logan Fury

Dec 26, 2016, 12:13:49 AM12/26/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hello My-kl

I just watched a youtube vid on simulated touch, I see what you mean about the delay, its 10 seconds at least, but its something to experiment with. I just rooted my Note 3 with a simple SU program. Im going to do the same on my Note 4 then wipe the 3 entirely and go full root and custom ROM. Ill start working with more root only profiles right after that.

Is there anyone out there with a note 3 or 4 that has a working WP profile they can export here please?

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 9:00 AM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
If all else fails you could try using emulated touch to fool the phone into thinking you're doing it manually. It needs root and the screen needs to be on though. Programming it will take a while and running the task will take quite a few seconds.

My-kl

Dec 27, 2016, 1:50:56 PM12/27/16
to Tasker
Emulated touch seems to be 50% slower on MM than LP. Very annoying. Perhaps you could set it to change wallpaper when you're not using your phone.

Logan Fury

Dec 28, 2016, 10:22:26 PM12/28/16
to tas...@googlegroups.com
A few things have changed in my setup. It looks like samsung updated my kitkat to lollipop without warning so my note 4 is now lollipop. Ive looked about the web and there doesnt seem to be any SU thats stable for my N910A.

Looks like I have to leave the Note 4 unrooted, and on Lollipop unless I want to format and lose everything which im not down for atm.

The note 3 rooted with default ROM on Lollipop is the candidate for a full wipe and format and setup with a full root, custom ROM, and downgrade to something like Kitkat.

I have about given up on the wallpaper stuff unless and until someone with a note comes along and posts a working profile. Im just running into failure after failure no matter what shell command steps I follow and the emulated touch and tap command have already failed to work for me in other profiles.

Ive had some excellent luck in discovering working profiles outside of wallpaper stuff and been able to enhance several of my existing profiles with Tasker abilities I hadnt been aware of. Perform Task, the %MTRACK query, and variable selection of contents of picture folders, song folders, and text documents are all new features to me that ive successfully experimented with this week, so the WP situation isnt as frustrating as it could be.

On Tue, Dec 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
Emulated touch seems to be 50% slower on MM than LP. Very annoying. Perhaps you could set it to change wallpaper when you're not using your phone.

Logan Fury

Jan 14, 2017, 1:19:24 AM1/14/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
SUCCESS!!!!!

My Note 3/Lollipop was dropped and when attempting to replace the screen my roommate and I either did something wrong, or it was cracked beyond just the screen. Bottom line we trashed it >.<.

I ordered an AT&T Note 3 to replace it, downgraded it to KitKit and rooted it, and tried a few WP tasks without success. Then I grabbed a previously untried animated WP with no settings, just an as is launcher,  and used the Get Class task Pent taught me to compose. It gave a different output than expected, with no "Service" in the class line. I entered it verbatim and by god it worked!! I think I looked at Sinan's example and foolishly thought "Service" was a necessary end line of the code. Evidently it was just specific to the wave walllpaper Class data.

I am so jazzed to see this work! Im going to see if I can replicate the success on the non-rooted Note 4 :D

My-kl

Jan 14, 2017, 5:45:41 AM1/14/17
to Tasker
WOW! Great news!

Logan Fury

Jan 14, 2017, 10:23:48 AM1/14/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for celebrating the moment with me My-kl :)

specifics:

I have 3 different WPs automated to voice command load now on the Note 3. QuickShortcutMaker addon as it turns has a built-in Package Name display almost as thorough as Package Name Viewer addon, and that has assisted in getting my profile data. I have also had an unexpected failure following the 3 initial successes: The built in android wallpaper "Bubbles" I figured would work easily, but the working profiles failed when edited to reflect this WPs package/class info. Here is the unworking profile if Pent or anyone from Tasker team would like to examine it:

Bubble WP (15)
A1: Flash [ Text:Wallpaper loading Long:Off ]
A2: Run Shell [ Command:service call wallpaper 2 i32 1 s16 "com.android.noisefield" s16 "com.andriod.noisefield.NoiseFieldWallpaper" Timeout (Seconds):0 Use Root:On Store Output In: Store Errors In: Store Result In: ]
A3: Go Home [ Page:0 ]

This was a surprising failure, but the 3 previous successes are priceless. Id love to see anyone make this work however!

On the Note 4, its still complete failure with this experiment. Buried in dozens of other initial upgrades was one from KitKat to Lollipop and I can find no root process for Note 4/Lollipop. Ive tried the suggestion found elsewhere to edit the line:

service call wallpaper 2 i32 1 s16

service call wallpaper 3 i32 1 s16

but this edit doesnt make any of the working profiles from the Note 3/rooted KitKat function on the Note 4/unrooted Lollipop. Can anyone confirm that simply adjusting that 2 to a 3 is the complete edit for that line?

 I observe from the code above that action 2 Shell sets Use Root:On. I set that to OFF and ran the Task and got no change of WP so im betting that the Note 4 having no root option with the lollipop platform is my problem. Can anyone following this thread confirm my theory?

Im loving the Note 4's fingerprint scanner built into the front button, and its pulse/heart-rate detector on the back and my roommate is telling me downgrading to KitKat to root the Note 4 will disable both these features. Im not prepared to lose these particular features so downgrading doesnt sound appealing. I asked about upgrading to M, N, or O and was told AT&T phones dont upgrade, so I may be stuck with an unfortunate platform for enjoying maximum Tasker functionality. Again, can anyone confirm this information about the difficulties of changes to AT&T phones?.

Black Friday 2017 I will def have done research first about what Samsung Notes (im addicted to the screen size) from 5 up root the easiest and retain the fingerprint/pulse features and hunt for the best refurbished phone I can find with best model/OS combo for easy rooting. Tasker and Tasker Now software combo automation has added so much to my phone and become so relied upon, Im basing my future hardware purchases on their Tasker compatibility. Now thats what I call some amazing applications!

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 2:45 AM, My-kl <my...@hotmail.com> wrote:
WOW! Great news!

Sinan Ghareb

Feb 22, 2017, 12:22:53 AM2/22/17
to Tasker
Glad to say I have found the solution after about a week of trying different things.
My original code and method found here on this thread needs to be slightly updated.
Here is what worked for me setting up Wave Live Wallpaper:

** Root is required **

1- Set your desired live wallpaper like normal, usually tapping and holding on any empty space on any home screen should bring up the dialog to set wallpaper.

2- Select your live wallpaper and set it.

3- You need to go to /data/system/users/0/wallpaper_info.xml

4- View the content of that file and copy the entire content string

5- Now open your Tasker task and use the File / Write File action. Set the File field to something like Myproject/wallpaper_info.xml (you MUST name it wallpaper_info.xml) and set the Text field to the content that you copied earlier.

6- Now add a wait if you like and then add a Run Shell action. In the Command type in: cp /sdcard/Myproject/wallpaper_info.xml /data/system/users/0/wallpaper_info.xml and check the box for Use Root ** That's why we need root **

7- Add another Run Shell action and type this in the Command field: service call wallpaper 3 i32 1 s16 "wave.paperworld.wallpaper" s16 "wave.paperworld.wallpaper.WaveWallpaperService"  and check the box for Use Root. I think if you use service call wallpaper 4 this sets the lock screen and home screen wallpaper -haven't tried yet

8- There is no 8! go try it

M@xF@ctor

Jan 15, 2018, 5:21:09 AM1/15/18
to Tasker
Could you help me with Teragon live wallpapers on Nougat?

It should be something like

service call wallpaper 2 i32 1 s16 "com.teragon.thunder.pro.Pro" s16 "android.service.wallpaper.WallpaperService"

service call wallpaper 2 i32 1 s16 "com.teragon.skyatdownlw.lite" s16 "android.service.wallpaper.WallpaperService"

but I am really not able to get it working...

Does it any difference if my smartphone OS is 64 bit ?

Thanks
Gian