Do Not Disturb Until Next Alarm

Barry Levine

Apr 24, 2017, 12:18:30 AM4/24/17
to Tasker
Android 6.0.1 has the "Do not disturb until next alarm" feature where, as soon as the "next alarm" sounds, DND is automatically turned off. That was perfect but, of course, Samsung has managed to wipe that feature off their Galaxy S7 with their crippled version of Android (still 6.0.1 as of this date). Who knows what they'll do with Nougat but, judging by their history, it won't be present there either.

So that's the crux of my Tasker question: Can I use Tasker to create a profile(?) that puts the phone in DND mode but, when the next alarm is set to sound, come out of DND mode and let the alarm sound (along with all other usual notifications)?

I know I can set a schedule of silent times (which is what I do now) but the problem is that my morning alarm times are dynamic; tomorrow it's 8AM but the next day might be 9 or 7 so I'm forced to alter the phones silent times every damn night so I'm not woken too early by incoming notifications or woken at the proper time but the notifications are still silenced for additional time (which, of course, is not what you want when you're already up).

I don't see anything (yet) in Tasker than seems to fit the bill. What say ye?

Thanks,
Barry

Brian Wilson

Apr 24, 2017, 8:03:48 PM4/24/17
to Tasker
I do something similar to fetch data for morning briefings before I wake up. I'll only describe broad strokes because I don't currently have Tasker open.

AutoAlarm (a plugin) runs at intervals and catches my current alarm in a variable. Once I have my current alarm, I can convert to seconds, as required, subtract an offset equal to the time before the alarm that the event should trigger (in seconds), and set that value to a new global variable (%Before_Alarm or similar). Create a profile that is triggered by matching the time %Before_Alarm and drop an action to deactivate DnD into that profile.