Android P: Tasker Compatibility Issues

1337 357

Mar 14, 2018, 9:37:36 AM3/14/18
to Tasker
I thought I'd start a master thread of problems with Tasker on Android P. I'm running a Pixel 2 (walleye) on P DP1.

  1. Task does not set Bluetooth media volume. I have a task that sets my Bluetooth media volume to maximum when my phone connects to my head unit. All of the other states execute (display timeout, ringer volume, WiFi status, Variable Set, etc) except for Bluetooth. I set Media Volume to maximum and BT Voice Volume, but media volume as displayed in Sound Settings is still at 0.

joaomgcd

Mar 14, 2018, 9:45:40 AM3/14/18
to Tasker
To clarify, you have to be connected to a BT device to test this, correct?

1337 357

Mar 14, 2018, 10:01:29 AM3/14/18
to Tasker
Correct. This is the exact profile, attached. The profile is activated, and everything else but the Bluetooth Media Volume is set.

On 8.1 (and 8.0) it worked, but on 9 DP1 it doesn't. It could be related to the fact that P enables support for being connected to up to 5 Bluetooth devices simultaneously. Playback can't occur to all 5 at once, only 1 at a time, but the media channel may have been changed in P.
backup.xml

João Dias

Mar 14, 2018, 10:29:11 AM3/14/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Just to confirm, do you know of a way to check the BT Volume without connecting to a BT device? Because in the Emulator I don't have a BT device to connect to :P

joaomgcd

Mar 14, 2018, 12:42:48 PM3/14/18
to Tasker
I checked it out and it seems that BT Volume is not an "official" stream, so they must've changed it for Android P. Will have to check out how it works now.

1337 357

Mar 15, 2018, 1:00:02 PM3/15/18
to Tasker
So after further review, it looks like the issue may not be directly related to P DP1, but I wasn't experiencing it on 8.1 or 8.0.

My task sets 2 volumes -- Ringer and Media. Depending on which order I have them in the task, one executes and the other doesn't. Or one fires, but is then immediately reset. After rearranging the order, I now have media volume being set reliably, but now ringer volume isn't reliable. I'm not quite sure what info I can give you to debug, or if it's just an odd isolated quirk.

João Dias

Mar 16, 2018, 6:18:07 AM3/16/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, wait, but didn't you say you were setting the BT volume, not media?

1337 357

Mar 16, 2018, 8:57:24 AM3/16/18
to Tasker
I have fiddled around with both to see what set what. After further testing, 'media volume' controls the Bluetooth A2DP volume when a BT device is connected.

The quirk is that when my task sets both Ringer Volume and Media Volume in the same task, it's inconsistently applied -- sometimes Media Volume gets set, sometimes it doesn't, or one of them will be set and then unset. It's almost as if setStreamVolume() is behaving inconsistently when used in the same task. Perhaps an underlying method in Tasker where a variable isn't being reset properly prior to setting another volume? Granted I don't have the source, but from my review of the smali it appeared that there was one method for setting setStreamVolume() and it was passed variables to determine which volume stream was being set.

In any event, if you can't find a bug in the code that would cause inconsistent volume setting when multiple streams are set in the same task, then no worries. You have more important things to work on with Tasker, I can live with it. :)

João Dias

Mar 19, 2018, 9:05:30 AM3/19/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the extra info :)