getting cell signal strength

N Mok

Oct 24, 2016, 5:40:44 PM10/24/16
to Tasker
is there any way to get the status of the cell signal so that I can have the phone go into airplane mode? I know when I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I believe KitKat, this was working in Tasker and I could get Tasker to return a positive number if there was a signal and 0 or -1 if there wasn't. after getting the S5 and now the LGV10, both with versions newer than KitKat, the profile I've had for this cell signal strength no longer works. everything gets reported as -1. any suggestions?

Rich D

Oct 25, 2016, 5:16:03 AM10/25/16
to Tasker Google Groups Post

> is there any way to get the status of the cell signal so that I can have the phone go into airplane mode? I know when I had a Samsung Galaxy S4 and I believe KitKat, this was working in Tasker and I could get Tasker to return a positive number if there was a signal and 0 or -1 if there wasn't. after getting the S5 and now the LGV10, both with versions newer than KitKat, the profile I've had for this cell signal strength no longer works. everything gets reported as -1. any suggestions?

There is this from the guide..

Cell Signal Strength (dynamic,monitored)
%CELLSIG
The current phone signal level from 0-8 inclusive on a rougly linear scale. On some phones, the level will rise in steps of 2 (0,2,4,6,8). The value is -1 if the value is unknown or there is e.g. no service.
From Android 4.2, Tasker version 4.3+, cells could be found from 2 different network types simultaneously. In that case, the value is reported with preference for the network type leftmost on the list: GSM, CDMA, UMTS, LTE.
There is a bug with some Android versions that the reported signal strength is not updated until the device is turned off and on

I would try making a profile that monitors %CELLSIG like a context variable value %CELLSIG you can set the value to 999999 so it will never be active but this might force tasker to monitor it. Save out of tasker then try your task again.

Rich D

Oct 25, 2016, 5:17:36 AM10/25/16
to Tasker Google Groups Post

from the guide as well..

Variables marked dynamic in the list above trigger changes in Variable Value states and Variable Set events whenever their value changes.

Variables marked monitored will cause the relevant monitor to startup to track their state when they are used in contexts or tasks which are used by widgets or enabled profiles. For instance, %CELLID used in a Flash action will cause cell location to be tracked.

Limitation: monitored variables cannot be detected in anonymous shortcuts.