Automated export of all projects/profiles/tasks - can it be done? (no, not userbackup.xml...)

Dan

Feb 25, 2015, 1:50:44 PM2/25/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I have several android devices with Tasker projects, profiles and tasks that are mostly different per device.
I'd like to regularly export (XML to SD) each of my projects, profiles and tasks on each of the android devices.

Can that be done in an automated way?
I am struggling with AutoInput, but I seem not to find a good way of using it in that context.Probably because Tasker cannot automate Tasker...

I do the exports manually on several android devices at the moment, but it is quite tedious.
I then synchronize each devices local tasker folders to a device specific google drive (GD) folder.
I then synchronize the parent folder on GD, which contains all devices tasker folders, down to a special folder per device. Uff.. Sounds complicated when I read it. But the synchronization is not the issue. I use the App Synchronize Ultimate for that...

Anyway, since I now have a folder on each of my Android devices that contains all projects/profiles and tasks from all my devices, I can now copy the file I want to import to the local device's Tasker folder, and import.

My projects and profiles and tasks are pretty different by device, using userbackup.xml would not work.

Perhaps Tasker has a "hidden" feature that would do all the exports automagically?
Or perhaps there is a much easier way to do this?

Dan

[Dream mode on]
Tasker has a share function (similar to Export/"XML In Email") that works for single projects and profiles and tasks, and sends it via pushbullet to the devices I choose...
And on the device I open that pushbullet message, it would import it directly into Tasker...
[Dream mode off]

Dan

Feb 27, 2015, 6:01:37 PM2/27/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
So I guess there is nothing like that?
Dan

Scott Miller

Feb 27, 2015, 6:28:56 PM2/27/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

It's been asked and discussed previously. There is no "on demand" backup that can be automated. Search the group. Various methods for backing up Tasker have been discussed, and I think I even remember someone looking for a similar solution as you.

Scott

Dan

Feb 27, 2015, 6:33:10 PM2/27/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your answer, Scott.
I do not look for backup, but rather a clever half-automated way to share projects, profiles and tasks with other devices I own.
Backup is a no-brainer.
Dan

Scott Miller

Feb 27, 2015, 6:46:31 PM2/27/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com

>  rather a clever half-automated way to share projects, profiles...

Yes, I know. That's why I said

>> I think I even remember someone looking for a similar solution as you.

No matter what, it still starts with a backup. Files can be copied to cloud storage and then to other devices using various apps, such as FolderSync. The real problem is not creating the backup, but rather, importing it on the other device. That can't be automated, either.

Scott

Dan

Feb 27, 2015, 6:56:30 PM2/27/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I've seen a remark from the author of AutoRemote (I am using several of his plugins for Tasker) to the new beta:
It seems to me that there might be a way.. a bit far fetched, though... Hmm..

Anderson Council

Feb 27, 2015, 8:18:25 PM2/27/15
to tas...@googlegroups.com
It's ironical how Tasker, the Total Automation for Android won't allow us total automation over itself. :P

(PS: not complaining! just pointing out the irony! I do understand that Pent may have other priorities in the todo list for now)