Plugins Not Working Problem

Pent

Jun 25, 2017, 3:11:22 AM6/25/17
to Tasker
Thought I'd create a sticky since this issue has spread out over several threads.

It appears that Google Apps is causing the problem in some way.

What we know for sure: removing all updates to Google Apps will fix the problem,
or possibly just rolling back to a particular update, see:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+IanGrodyRules/posts/MduC3cA1vHM

Related thread:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/tasker/FBmW1DHCRPg

Pent

Pent

Jun 25, 2017, 3:24:16 AM6/25/17
to Tasker
I have received a bugreport from Spencer Campbell (thanks!), he ran
a plugin action to the AutoNotification plugin, which timed out. I didn't
see any logging from the autonotification plugin.

Here's the message that was sent to autonotification from Tasker:

 #232: act=com.twofortyfouram.locale.intent.action.FIRE_SETTING flg=0x14 (has extras)
    +45s438ms dispatch +53ms finish
    enq=2017-06-18 15:16:49 disp=2017-06-18 15:17:34 fin=2017-06-18 15:17:34

Which I interpret as queued at 15.16.49, sent at 15.17.34 and received/processed at
15.17.34.

Looking at the other intents sent, all of them around that time spend 50 or so seconds
in the queue. Looking over time, there are several periods where intents are queued
for around 50 seconds and several where they are sent immediately.

In summary, the problem seems to be being caused by the system sometimes taking a long time
to send messages. There should definitely be effects visible on other apps too, it's
not just Tasker intents which are being delayed.

Pent

Pent

Jun 25, 2017, 3:37:40 AM6/25/17
to Tasker
Executive Summary:

This is not a problem with Tasker and there's nothing I can do to fix it.

Pent

Kristian Tigersjäl

Jun 25, 2017, 4:55:58 AM6/25/17
to Tasker
Thanks for investigating this. I guess that it's now up to Google to fix this. Has anybody filed an issue with them? Link if it does exist.

John Doe

Jun 25, 2017, 5:32:40 AM6/25/17
to Tasker
I'm wondering how a single app can have this effect on the whole system. It's a system app of course but in this case we are talking about a core part of Android (intent broadcasting). However communication based on intent is more and more difficult on Android. At least on some phones, this kind of communication is delayed by the system in idle mode. In my opinion the protocol should be changed as reported in Android o thread in the developer forum.

Kristian Tigersjäl

Jun 25, 2017, 11:46:59 AM6/25/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Agree, but it’s probably a hefty task to do. In the meantime this must be made working somehow. Preferably by the people breaking it: Google.

/ Kristian Tigersjäl via Airmail

On 25 June 2017 at 11:32:49, John Doe (playappa...@gmail.com) wrote:

I'm wondering how a single app can have this effect on the whole system. It's a system app of course but in this case we are talking about a core part of Android (intent broadcasting). However communication based on intent is more and more difficult on Android. At least on some phones, this kind of communication is delayed by the system in idle mode. In my opinion the protocol should be changed as reported in Android o thread in the developer forum.

George Boyce

Jun 25, 2017, 11:56:05 AM6/25/17
to Tasker
Totally agree; thanks, Pent for looking into this. :)

On Sunday, 25 June 2017 09:55:58 UTC+1, Kristian Tigersjäl wrote:
Thanks for investigating this.

Pent

Jun 26, 2017, 2:14:21 AM6/26/17
to Tasker
Anyone have any ideas where I can deliver a bug report ? I
don't think I'll get very far with the Play Store Google App contact
email.

Pent

Kristian Tigersjäl

Jun 26, 2017, 2:59:37 AM6/26/17
to Tasker

My guess is this:

https://source.android.com/source/report-bugs

/ Kristian Tigersjäl

joaomgcd

Jun 26, 2017, 6:08:26 AM6/26/17
to Tasker
Thanks for the sticky Pent!

Maybe it's time to give something like this some thought? :)

Maybe the Google App bug will be fixed, but my guess is that the underlying problem is the same: Android broadcasts can be arbitrarily delayed by the system.

What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Pent

Jun 26, 2017, 7:05:21 AM6/26/17
to Tasker

Maybe it's time to give something like this some thought? :)

I've been expecting you to link to that thread since it became clear that
broadcasts are the problem :-)

Will reply over in the dev forum.

Pent

João Dias

Jun 26, 2017, 7:34:21 AM6/26/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Thank you :)

Pent

Jun 27, 2017, 3:39:03 AM6/27/17
to Tasker
For what it's worth:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/63049704

Go and give it a star :-)

Pent

João Dias

Jun 27, 2017, 4:06:43 AM6/27/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Cool, starred!

Kristian Tigersjäl

Jun 27, 2017, 4:26:49 AM6/27/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
Great. Can’t find a button to star it though?

Kristian

/ Kristian Tigersjäl via Airmail

Thom Little

Jun 27, 2017, 4:50:25 AM6/27/17
to Tasker
Click on the star next to the title.

... Thom

Kristian Tigersjäl

Jun 27, 2017, 4:52:17 AM6/27/17
to Tasker
I don't have one. That's what's puzzling :-)

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017, 10:50 Thom Little <th...@tlanet.net> wrote:
Click on the star next to the title.

... Thom

/ Kristian Tigersjäl

Kristian Tigersjäl

Jun 27, 2017, 4:53:19 AM6/27/17
to Tasker

Nm was a loading error. Fixed.

--

/ Kristian Tigersjäl

George Boyce

Jun 27, 2017, 8:07:47 AM6/27/17
to Tasker
Starred; thanks, Pent

Pent

Jul 1, 2017, 2:45:00 AM7/1/17
to Tasker
Well, the ticket got assigned, hopefully to a person not a deep-learning algorithm.

Also the Locale developer contacted me to say they have the same problems
reported so we're not collectively mass-halucinating apparently.

Pent

Kristian Tigersjäl

Jul 1, 2017, 3:53:31 AM7/1/17
to Tasker

I've read elsewhere that the newest beta helps but I'm not quite so sure about my own result yet on this. Do try if you so wish.

Best regards Kristian

/ Kristian Tigersjäl

Ian Grody

Jul 2, 2017, 12:49:43 PM7/2/17
to Tasker
Hey all,

Using Beta Google App, 7.6.9.21 and 7.6.10.21 the issues appeared resolved.

Lets hope these are released soon.

The 7.4.x releases were even more broken for me.

Brett Owens

Jul 20, 2017, 6:36:10 PM7/20/17
to Tasker
Unfortunately the beta app has not resolved this issue to me. It appeared to initially but my problems are back and I've seen others on Reddit say the same thing. :(

Andrea Borgia

Aug 6, 2017, 1:00:19 PM8/6/17
to Tasker
Il giorno domenica 25 giugno 2017 09:24:16 UTC+2, Pent ha scritto:

In summary, the problem seems to be being caused by the system sometimes taking a long time
to send messages. There should definitely be effects visible on other apps too, it's
not just Tasker intents which are being delayed.

Hmm, I'm using SecureSettings to toggle location precision and it only works if I do this in a separate task from the one which starts the OBD app and Waze. Nothing happens (and Waze complains) if I move the command to the same profile.
Am I looking at the same bug or what? :)

Thanks for the report, already starred, hopefully that makes a difference.

TIA,
Andrea.

gtridr

Aug 16, 2017, 12:45:21 PM8/16/17
to Tasker
I'd like to mention that I posted a slightly more comprehensive write-up of the issues caused by this bug, along with links to this thread, some other posts on this board, Ian Grody's G+ posts, and a new bug report. (with screenshots!)

I also added mention of the additional effects this bug seems to cause, including Play Store installation hangs & the inability to enable/disable device administrators.

If anyone else wants to see this bug get solved, please star the issue and consider capturing and posting a bug report. (I'm not sure they'll be too excited to look at mine, as I am running Android O DP4)

Pent

Aug 17, 2017, 6:24:39 AM8/17/17
to Tasker
A Google dev has acknowledged on the ticket that the problems are being
caused by Google App.

Pent

SimonBG

Aug 29, 2017, 3:24:15 PM8/29/17
to Tasker
I have issues with plug ins but I am not sure it is the same problem. My issue:
3 plug ins used daily - Tasker Plugin for Harmony, Send/Expect, Wake on Lan. They work fine for a few days, then one by one they stop working until I open (and then can close) the app/plugin from the app menu. Common sense was to think Doze is hibernating them but the 3 plug ins have been excluded from the monitoring list and I don't think that is the case. Note, they don't all stop at once.

Is my issue the same as discussed in this thread?

SimonBG

Sep 1, 2017, 9:37:31 AM9/1/17
to Tasker
Anybody can chime in? Am I affected by this issue or my problem is different?

John Loh

Sep 4, 2017, 11:48:37 PM9/4/17
to Tasker
Been having issues with Tasker plugin, my Google app is now 7.10.30.21, I'm still having delay issues.
Message has been deleted

Gilles P

Sep 5, 2017, 4:41:28 AM9/5/17
to Tasker
Unfortunately the beta app has not resolved this issue to me. It appeared to initially but my problems are back and I've seen others on Reddit say the same thing. :(
Same here,  this is not systematic but last week, a "bluetooth connected" profile has taken more than 10mn to trigger on my device!

SimonBG

Sep 5, 2017, 9:40:47 AM9/5/17
to Tasker
Guys, is this issue causing your plug ins to not work at all, or only after certain amount of time (for me it's a day or 2, opening the plugin app fixes it, it's like the plugin is hibernated but it's excluded in doze).
Message has been deleted

Ben Sale

Sep 11, 2017, 9:33:55 AM9/11/17
to Tasker
I'm having issues with two notification plugins - AutoNotification and Notification Listener.

I have been using them activate my WhatsApp message profile, and whilst they both trigger the profile I then have issues with variables not being written correctly. Specifically the Message Ticker variable doesn't seem to update.

I am using the AutoNotification %anticker variable or the Notification Listener %nlticker to update my own variable and then Tasker splits this for the task to determine which alert to activate. However, AutoNotification doesn't update my own variable at all - I have used another task from a forum which displays all the AutoNotification variables and I can see that %anticker displays the correct message details, but my variable simply reads %anticker. Notification Listener works for a while and correctly updates my app, but then after a while stops working and update my variable to %nlticker.

Could this be the same bug? Or is it something different? I'm using the latest beta version of the Google App (7.11.18.21.arm64) on Samsung Galaxy S8+ running Nougat 7.0

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is the wrong thread!

James Watkins

Oct 19, 2017, 9:58:26 AM10/19/17
to Tasker
Interesting issue.  This is the first I've heard about it but I've been experiencing this issue for the last several days now.  I've flat out disabled the Google App on my phone (S7 Edge) for now to see if disabling the app resolves the issue of multiple Tasker plugins not working.  I'll see how it goes and will update with what I find.  Thank you for the heads up.

Gilles P

Oct 20, 2017, 4:36:57 AM10/20/17
to Tasker

This is the first I've heard about it but I've been experiencing this issue for the last several days now.  I've flat out disabled the Google App on my phone (S7 Edge) for now to see if disabling the app resolves the issue of multiple Tasker plugins not working.  I'll see how it goes and will update with what I find.

Please don't forget to give feedback here.
I'm still experimenting *major* issues with delayed profiles triggers in Tasker  (same device as yours, up to 10mn to react to a bluetooth connect event for instance!) and it have been reported that those delays problems have the same origin (intents delivery dysfunction caused by Google app )
I've tested many Google app versions without much improvement (currently using latest beta).

Svetcom svetcom

Oct 20, 2017, 7:27:39 AM10/20/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
What works for me is this: create a profile to open each plug in app every day at 6 am, then go to home screen. Although, I am not sure if I have the same issue. Google app I'd disabled, Galaxy s7, all plugins work for a day or two, then they stop, untill I open their app. And thats where "open app" task does the magic for me.

James Watkins

Oct 20, 2017, 7:54:46 AM10/20/17
to Tasker
I wound up re-enabling the Google App primarily since AutoVoice and AutoWear does't work well without the Google Accessibility feature.  I've left the Google App at version 6.13.25.21 and disabled all updates but it doesn't seem to help at all.  Simon, I've created a profile to launch all my Tasker Plugins at around 4am to see if that benefits Tasker.  I'll post again with how this works out.  Thanks for the idea.

Andrea Borgia

Oct 22, 2017, 1:02:34 PM10/22/17
to Tasker

Il giorno venerdì 20 ottobre 2017 10:36:57 UTC+2, Gilles P ha scritto:

I'm still experimenting *major* issues with delayed profiles triggers in Tasker  (same device as yours, up to 10mn to react to a bluetooth connect event for instance!) and it have been reported that those delays problems have the same origin (intents delivery dysfunction caused by Google app )

I'm having issues detecting "BT near", might that be related? How can I verify that?
(the situation is quite funny: "BT connected" for a specific device would trigger but "BT near" for the same device would not.)

Pent

Oct 25, 2017, 6:21:57 AM10/25/17
to Tasker
> I'm having issues detecting "BT near", might that be related?

No.

Pent

Andrea Borgia

Oct 25, 2017, 8:47:14 AM10/25/17
to tas...@googlegroups.com
yup, thought so... regardless of tasker, other apps have trouble detecting nearby BT devices :(

Andrea Borgia

Oct 25, 2017, 8:48:17 AM10/25/17
to Tasker

Il giorno mercoledì 25 ottobre 2017 12:21:57 UTC+2, Pent ha scritto:
> I'm having issues detecting "BT near", might that be related?

No

Manman

Nov 10, 2017, 6:48:10 AM11/10/17
to Tasker

SimonBG

Dec 10, 2017, 9:41:51 AM12/10/17
to Tasker
James, did my suggestion work for you?

James Watkins

Dec 10, 2017, 10:06:23 AM12/10/17
to Tasker
I had the Google App updated to the mentioned version and it was working fine.  Unfortunately I left the auto-update feature on and it got updated again.  I shut that off but when I tried to downgrade the Google App back to the oldest version and then update back to the mentioned version but now I get a corrupted apk issue so I haven't bothered updating it from the oldest version.  It seems to be working, but the whole situation is very frustrating.

Gilles P

Jan 21, 2018, 3:58:25 AM1/21/18
to Tasker
I'm still  facing huge (several minutes, no kidding) delays at times to have a specific event profile triggered.
Most of the time it works absolutely fine, but at moments it start to reacts after a very loooong time (even it *always* finishes by being triggered).
I think I have tested all possible fixes and workaround given here and other threads without success.
This is very frustrating.

Morgan Young

Mar 2, 2018, 5:59:01 PM3/2/18
to Tasker
Interesting. I had completely forgotten about locale.

joaomgcd

Mar 3, 2018, 11:30:19 AM3/3/18
to Tasker
Wanted to chime in on this.

I have a plan to make plugins work much faster. If it'll work or not, we'll have to wait and see. Again, it's going to take a bit for me to get to know Tasker's code and even longer for me to be able to change it.

Hope you understand!
João

Martin gigli

Mar 10, 2018, 6:02:58 AM3/10/18
to Tasker
I know this is not new, but i start having the problem again in my new cellphone ( i haven't got the poblem since i bought it), since last week, but the last google update but in february, so another thing is also causing this problem too.

Tracy McKibben

Mar 10, 2018, 8:40:05 AM3/10/18
to Tasker
Happening on my Pixel XL as well, started immediately after flashing the March system update.

Martin gigli

Mar 10, 2018, 9:41:21 AM3/10/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
That the strange thing i can't see any change that explains the pluginn problem, ofcourse i deativa google app and everything start working again. But i think i must be another thing too

dberk...@thomasnet.com

Apr 19, 2018, 4:05:01 PM4/19/18
to Tasker
I am now seeing this on my Pixel XL. Plugins are taking several minutes to run after being fired. The issue appears to have started on or around 04/16–04/17.

Tasker had previously worked fine for months. I did not manually update any ROM or Google software on those dates, though there was a silent update to Google Play Services on 4/17.

dberk...@thomasnet.com

Apr 19, 2018, 4:11:33 PM4/19/18
to Tasker
Yep, I used TiBu to freeze Google Play Services. When frozen, plugins responded instantly. I then defrosted Google Play Services and plugins became delayed again.

Damn you, Google Play Services!

Rich B

Apr 19, 2018, 5:04:50 PM4/19/18
to Tasker
Interesting. Is there a way for Tasker to freeze an app through Titanium Backup? I don't know if there's a plugin for that...

André Jeromin

May 2, 2018, 5:35:15 PM5/2/18
to Tasker
Hi João, you changed something with the plugin system in the beta app as I understood, right? I have 2 plugin that won't work correct with the beta app. Both of them give an error.

"#M: error: pid: 167 unexpected plugin event result code 0 abort:false from PLUGIN"

"#M: error: PLUGIN unexpected state result code 0"

I ask one of the developer for a solution for the problem and he said that the problem is depending on Tasker.

(https://plus.google.com/u/0/100641468089109432805/posts/e9UhYAxKPfS?cfem=1)

Could you please add a support for the old plugin system as long as the monitoring feature for setting changes is available in Tasker?

(https://tasker.helprace.com/i7-add-contentobserver-to-monitor-for-changes-in-secure-global-system-settings)

João Dias

May 3, 2018, 4:16:30 AM5/3/18
to tas...@googlegroups.com
I still support the old plugin system. That hasn't changed. that warning happens if the plugin doesn't send a response code after the action is done.