Problem with Wi-Fi Near. Android 7.1.1

José Manuel Mérida

Sep 15, 2017, 2:01:00 PM9/15/17
to Tasker
Hello, the state keeps going from activated to inactive on every check cicle. I have the configuration to check for a wifi network always, battery optimizations disabled...

Art

Sep 17, 2017, 6:40:12 PM9/17/17
to Tasker
Hello! You must turn location mode to high accuracy or battery saving.

Cycneuramus

Sep 18, 2017, 2:21:53 AM9/18/17
to Tasker
The "Device Only" (GPS) mode suffices for WiFi scanning to work, and that way you don't have to put up with the constant barrage of arbitrary location requests coming from Google's snoopy Play Services that will otherwise happen on High Accuracy / Battery Saving.

José Manuel Mérida

Sep 18, 2017, 4:36:09 AM9/18/17
to Tasker
Thank you so much to both of you. I actually had the device location set to off. Turning it on to either "device only" or "high accuracy" solved the problem.
But, why is the location service necessary in order to detect the availability of a d

José Manuel Mérida

Sep 18, 2017, 4:37:12 AM9/18/17
to Tasker
Sorry I published it by error. But why is the location necessary?

Thank you so much again

Tristan BRÉJON

Oct 19, 2017, 7:20:33 AM10/19/17
to Tasker
Hello,
Sorry to answer on an old topic, but I have the same issue.
I turn on location to "Battery Saving" to try, and I have the same question, why is the location necessary for wifi near?
The "Scanning always available" seems to be available either location turn on/off.

Sean Williams

Oct 19, 2017, 7:43:11 AM10/19/17
to Tasker
Hi,

I turn on location to "Battery Saving" to try, and I have the same question, why is the location necessary for wifi near?

Google has made this the case. I guess they felt WiFi networks can represent a location or maybe it's just another way to collect user data.

The "Scanning always available" seems to be available either location turn on/off.

It's a different setting so scanning requests can be done for example when device WiFi is switched off.

If an app attempts a scan without location services no results are returned. This doesn't extend to the system however as it still retains full access.

Tristan BRÉJON

Oct 22, 2017, 12:24:05 PM10/22/17
to Tasker
Thank you so much for this information.